Concours

Casual User
You're 5
Jul 8, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2021 Conver
I want to change the tires and wheels on my Stingray 2019–. I want a smoother ride, and i dont want wide tire, and i dont like this kind of thin rubber on the road
Don’t tell me that i want have the same performance , i know that. I am looking on 18 inches if it is possible and 4 of the size (in order to be able to sell them back )
So what size of tire i should buy , in order to have the same diameter of tire as original.
I do not want performance —— I want smooth ride—

• Agree
Reactions: ccltj
I want to change the tires and wheels on my Stingray 2019–. I want a smoother ride, and i dont want wide tire, and i dont like this kind of thin rubber on the road
Don’t tell me that i want have the same performance , i know that. I am looking on 18 inches if it is possible and 4 of the size (in order to be able to sell them back )
So what size of tire i should buy , in order to have the same diameter of tire as original.

Buy an SUV

Dad? Is that you? lol.

My pops had a 1990 Camaro IROC-Z (great car, I loved it), but he hated the harsh ride and noisy tires on concrete highways in the states. He changed out the Gatorbacks for Eagle GT +4 in a 215/60 series to make the ride smoother and quieter. It did help make the car a bit more comfortable, but it completely threw performance out the window. He did something similar with the Trans Am years later, but his problem was that he always chose the cheapest tire he could get instead of choosing the right tire to solve the problem.

This question always kills me. I could respond with the usual - You should have bought a Camaro ZL-1 or Cadillac CTS-V with mag-ride, but clearly that isn't the answer that you are looking for.

So I will try my hardest to be nice, and stick to the facts of what you want, even if I strongly disagree.

As mentioned above, you can choose to go to a narrower-width tire with a taller side-profile, which will help to give you a bit softer of a ride. Any tire shop should be able to figure out the overall height of your tire, which is going to determine your speedometer accuracy. I'm not really used to going down in size, I usually go up, but when I do that I typically use the general idea of one profile size for every two width sizes. This should work in reverse as well.

I think your car should have 285/35-19 in the rear and 245/40-18 in the front? Personally, I wouldn't go lower than the 245s, and a 40 series is not too harsh of a ride. The 35's in the back are a bit hard, so you could go down in size to a 275, and up to a 40 profile. Perhaps even a 45 profile if you like, especially if you want to change to an 18" wheel out back. It might give the back end a bit more rake, but only the most scrutinous eye will be able to tell. The trouble with going narrower in the rear is that there aren't a lot of manufacturers who make tires in a 265 or 255 for sports cars. A 245 would allow you to run a 60 series tire, but it makes me want to cry to think of a wagon wheel like that on a Corvette.

So before you get too far set into changing tire sizes, understand that a big part of the ride and sound is also in the density of the compound. A hard tire that is designed to stick with heat (Goodyears are the most noticeable to me) will have a hard and noisy ride. A softer compound will stick better and at lower temperatures, be smoother and quieter, but will not last a long time (replace tires at 10-15k). Everything is a compromise. Choose your poison.

There are a lot of guys on here that have changed out their tires for various reasons, and I'm sure a few will post up their opinions, so just be patient and wait for more input. The Michelin Pilot Sport stands out in my mind as a fantastic tire with good ride while still maintaining excellent adhesion and performance. I personally run Nitto Invos and have been pretty happy with them as well. Decent price, smooth and quiet ride, and traction is decent after you warm them up. Initial traction is not great but I make well over 500hp, so traction is relative. For regular driving, I would absolutely recommend them. I've gotten more than five years out of mine, and that is very impressive.

And if you ultimately can't find anything to make your ride comfortable enough, I have a nice Cadillac that I'd be willing to trade you. ;)

Dad? Is that you? lol.

My pops had a 1990 Camaro IROC-Z (great car, I loved it), but he hated the harsh ride and noisy tires on concrete highways in the states. He changed out the Gatorbacks for Eagle GT +4 in a 215/60 series to make the ride smoother and quieter. It did help make the car a bit more comfortable, but it completely threw performance out the window. He did something similar with the Trans Am years later, but his problem was that he always chose the cheapest tire he could get instead of choosing the right tire to solve the problem.

This question always kills me. I could respond with the usual - You should have bought a Camaro ZL-1 or Cadillac CTS-V with mag-ride, but clearly that isn't the answer that you are looking for.

So I will try my hardest to be nice, and stick to the facts of what you want, even if I strongly disagree.

As mentioned above, you can choose to go to a narrower-width tire with a taller side-profile, which will help to give you a bit softer of a ride. Any tire shop should be able to figure out the overall height of your tire, which is going to determine your speedometer accuracy. I'm not really used to going down in size, I usually go up, but when I do that I typically use the general idea of one profile size for every two width sizes. This should work in reverse as well.

I think your car should have 285/35-19 in the rear and 245/40-18 in the front? Personally, I wouldn't go lower than the 245s, and a 40 series is not too harsh of a ride. The 35's in the back are a bit hard, so you could go down in size to a 275, and up to a 40 profile. Perhaps even a 45 profile if you like, especially if you want to change to an 18" wheel out back. It might give the back end a bit more rake, but only the most scrutinous eye will be able to tell. The trouble with going narrower in the rear is that there aren't a lot of manufacturers who make tires in a 265 or 255 for sports cars. A 245 would allow you to run a 60 series tire, but it makes me want to cry to think of a wagon wheel like that on a Corvette.

So before you get too far set into changing tire sizes, understand that a big part of the ride and sound is also in the density of the compound. A hard tire that is designed to stick with heat (Goodyears are the most noticeable to me) will have a hard and noisy ride. A softer compound will stick better and at lower temperatures, be smoother and quieter, but will not last a long time (replace tires at 10-15k). Everything is a compromise. Choose your poison.

There are a lot of guys on here that have changed out their tires for various reasons, and I'm sure a few will post up their opinions, so just be patient and wait for more input. The Michelin Pilot Sport stands out in my mind as a fantastic tire with good ride while still maintaining excellent adhesion and performance. I personally run Nitto Invos and have been pretty happy with them as well. Decent price, smooth and quiet ride, and traction is decent after you warm them up. Initial traction is not great but I make well over 500hp, so traction is relative. For regular driving, I would absolutely recommend them. I've gotten more than five years out of mine, and that is very impressive.

And if you ultimately can't find anything to make your ride comfortable enough, I have a nice Cadillac that I'd be willing to trade you. ;)

Thank you ..very much very much for this long answer.....i am sure you are a very nice person and this will realy help me

I have an SUV..... I don’t see the reason to give an answer like that!!!

I don’t see the reason to modify the amazing engineered handling performance of a Corvette.

You have never properly introduced your self on here and only come on here demanding answers. What have you contributed to any discussion beyond your demands and criticisms of the awesome car you own?

Last time it was the bump steer you were complaining about. Even after you were given detailed answers you continued to speak rudely and indicated you were getting a Porsche.
Appears you didn’t get that Porsche.

Maybe hurry and get one then ask this latest question on that forum. See how that works for you.

If you want to raise your voice.... Here’s a few exclamation remarks for you !!!!!!!
I actually doubt you even have a Corvette and are just Looking for friends. 😂

It concerns me that what you seemingly want to do is change the engineering that has gone into your car to make it, well a Corvette. There are always sacrifices for the sake of something else, in this case performance handling. I am not keen on the elastic band tires although I have them on my car. If it is a visual thing I have seen lots of Corvettes set up with a "drag pack" of tires and wheels which typically have a higher aspect ratio (think that is what it is called). You might get a better ride out of that but handling will for certain be impacted.

I don't want to sound like a dick here but are you sure the Corvette is the car for you?

It concerns me that what you seemingly want to do is change the engineering that has gone into your car to make it, well a Corvette. There are always sacrifices for the sake of something else, in this case performance handling. I am not keen on the elastic band tires although I have them on my car. If it is a visual thing I have seen lots of Corvettes set up with a "drag pack" of tires and wheels which typically have a higher aspect ratio (think that is what it is called). You might get a better ride out of that but handling will for certain be impacted.

I don't want to sound like a dick here but are you sure the Corvette is the car for you?
Maybee this car is not exacly made for me. Of course you are right when you say that.. But now i have that car ....i want to have a smooth ride.. i like the look of the car. Now i want a smooth ride, my back will thank me. The question was about helping me finding the tire that will suit my driving. I know the Corvette is a great performance car.
But the discussion is not there...... I am very sorry to have insulted certain Corvette guy...This is my third Corvette. By the way i am over 75 years old , I want to keep this car with tires that will suit my driving. If some Corvette owner want to help me ,i will be very please.

Hi Concours:

You've indicated that you have a 2019 Stingray but have not stated whether or not you have the mag ride option. I'll assume, for the purpose of this response, that you do not. If that's the case then you have the most compliant suspension package available on the C7. Most owners find that the base suspension provides the most comfortable ride across most driving conditions, except track use, which, I know, is not of interest to you.

Having said that, and knowing that you are willing to sacrifice performance for ride comfort, then you are left with two options. 1) Go to a non-run flat tire in OEM sizes or 2) Apply the "minus sizing" rule to a new tire and wheel combination. See this What is Minus Sizing? - Kal Tire. It talks about winter wheel packages but the theory applies directly to your question. Talk to a reputable performance tire and wheel shop if going this route.

Your least expensive option, and best in my opinion, is the non-run flat. Ride comfort will improve minimally and all you would need in addition to the tires would be an inflation kit with tire sealant. Option 2 is a bad idea, as mentioned by several other responders. Not only from the standpoint of compromised handling, but, and most importantly, from the aspect of safety. Your car was designed to use a specific tire size and compound not only to achieve optimum handling but also to be stable under braking, absorb road shock and to maintain it's profile under severe cornering loads. To do what your suggesting could endanger you and your passenger. It will also compromise the wear and tire life of the non-standard tires not to mention the ability of ever having a decent alignment applied to your car. Dealers have a hard enough time doing it right on a stock tire/wheel set-up, they'd be lost working with a minus sized configuration.

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but I'm trying to give you some sound technical advice. For safety sake go with option 1.

Best regards
Ross

Might be a good idea to go down and talk to your local tire store. Not many people on here will agree with what you want to do.

You could get rid of the run flats and go with some Michelin all season tires with softer side walls.

If you have Mag Ride you could get the new update.

No i don’t have à Magnetic suspension....when i order the Vette i did’t know that this thing was avalaible

Concours, it is the magnetic suspension that makes the C7 Vette a very smooth ride in Eco or Tour mode. Unfortunately that does not help your perception of the harsh ride. The Corvette Stingray is a 'performance' car even in the base 1LT Stingray. Performance cars do not have a smooth ride. They are designed to be a hard ride so that the cornering will be better and straight line acceleration will be better. Your are chasing more trouble if you change the ties. The grip and handling will change and you could get into a difficult emergency situation. I am 73 and understand the desire for comfort but I also have the magnetic shocks in my 3LT Coupe.

The advice from cndrx1 is something to consider but my recommendation would be one of these two options: 1) Sell your existing Vette and buy a car with the magnetic shocks, 2) Accept the hard ride, try to adapt to the way the car was designed and keep smiling.

Bonne chance!

I think the only way I could actually get a smoother ride is to find a better road.
Otherwise a smoother "pilot-seat" ride either involves the suspension or a
hemorrhoid cushion on the seat - if not as "constructively" suggested above ...
to just buy & drive something else.
Should tires be the only resolve ... then surf Tire Rack online for a smoother
ride "placebo" by checking tire ratings & customer reviews for comfort and noise.
Find a tire and then shop it locally. This is how I decided my next set may likely
be a set of AS3+ZP Michellins (but for an entirely different reason than "smooth")
tires.jpg
... on the lighter side, if one likes the idea of just driving a
narrow tire for a "smoother ride" with appearance of it
being in an awesome "Corvette", perhaps it might be this ...
B4FED812-591A-41EA-82BB-1966C35ECEC1.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe '19 Stingrays all came with 19s/20s. The earlier non-Z51 Stingray's came with 18/19s. I'd suggest finding a set of those wheels and putting non-runflats on those wheels.

This is exacly what i was looking for 18/19 wheel with regular Michelin tire ..
Concours, it is the magnetic suspension that makes the C7 Vette a very smooth ride in Eco or Tour mode. Unfortunately that does not help your perception of the harsh ride. The Corvette Stingray is a 'performance' car even in the base 1LT Stingray. Performance cars do not have a smooth ride. They are designed to be a hard ride so that the cornering will be better and straight line acceleration will be better. Your are chasing more trouble if you change the ties. The grip and handling will change and you could get into a difficult emergency situation. I am 73 and understand the desire for comfort but I also have the magnetic shocks in my 3LT Coupe.

The advice from cndrx1 is something to consider but my recommendation would be one of these two options: 1) Sell your existing Vette and buy a car with the magnetic shocks, 2) Accept the hard ride, try to adapt to the way the car was designed and keep smiling.

Bonne chance!
it is not hard to sell a car with 2500 kil on it .....but you lose big money !! But before trying doing that i will try a Vette with Magnetic suspension.

I have a cheap and easy solution for you. Let me take you for a ride in my Trans Am. You will get back in your Corvette and it will be the smoothest, most comfortable ride you have ever seen!
It is very nice of you......but no thanks a lot .....

I think the only way I could actually get a smoother ride is to find a better road.
Otherwise a smoother "pilot-seat" ride either involves the suspension or a
hemorrhoid cushion on the seat - if not as "constructively" suggested above ...
to just buy & drive something else.
Should tires be the only resolve ... then surf Tire Rack online for a smoother
ride "placebo" by checking tire ratings & customer reviews for comfort and noise.
Find a tire and then shop it locally. This is how I decided my next set may likely
be a set of AS3+ZP Michellins (but for an entirely different reason than "smooth")
View attachment 23028
... on the lighter side, if one likes the idea of just driving a
narrow tire for a "smoother ride" with appearance of it
being in an awesome "Corvette", perhaps it might be this ...
View attachment 23029
Yes you are right the Vette is nicer with bigger wheels .

Not sure how much softer a ride you are expecting to get but have a feeling you may be disappointed. This is my second Corvette and both my wife and I are very pleased at how much better it rides than my C6. I don't think either MRC or smaller wheels and tires is going to make the difference you appear to be looking for. These cars do not ride rough. On the contrary, for a sports car, they ride damn good. JMHO

Not sure how much softer a ride you are expecting to get but have a feeling you may be disappointed. This is my second Corvette and both my wife and I are very pleased at how much better it rides than my C6. I don't think either MRC or smaller wheels and tires is going to make the difference you appear to be looking for. These cars do not ride rough. On the contrary, for a sports car, they ride damn good. JMHO

Agreed Eric. In tour mode with the ZP factory Michelins my Z06 rides like a Cadillac. The mag ride is awesome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.