Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
Well, it's not wheel hop as much as drive train shake from what I've been reading! Does anyone else suffer from this?

This has never happened to me before on my car so I'm not sure what changed? I've never had drive train shake before and am worried if I try to get the car going it'll break something! The first time a couple weeks ago was a shock when I tried an easy launch on the car as I wanted to see if the power had come back with the new intake. The second time was a few days later. The clutch was already out and I was just getting into the gas, then the third time was yesterday I was fooling around and just tried to break the tires loose in comp mode (yes I try to have fun with the car every once in a while, especially now that it needs new tires but I sure don't want a new rear end!!!). Now I feel like I shouldn't do anything to remotely put power down in first....and my car's mostly stock so it's not like it's a power house.

Manny, what's the fix? Trans brace? Diff brace? New tires? Shocks worn? What do you figure? I would like to have at least a little fun with the old tires before going to new ones.

Well, it's not wheel hop as much as drive train shake from what I've been reading! Does anyone else suffer from this?

This has never happened to me before on my car so I'm not sure what changed? I've never had drive train shake before and am worried if I try to get the car going it'll break something! The first time a couple weeks ago was a shock when I tried an easy launch on the car as I wanted to see if the power had come back with the new intake. The second time was a few days later. The clutch was already out and I was just getting into the gas, then the third time was yesterday I was fooling around and just tried to break the tires loose in comp mode (yes I try to have fun with the car every once in a while, especially now that it needs new tires but I sure don't want a new rear end!!!). Now I feel like I shouldn't do anything to remotely put power down in first....and my car's mostly stock so it's not like it's a power house.

Manny, what's the fix? Trans brace? Diff brace? New tires? Shocks worn? What do you figure? I would like to have at least a little fun with the old tires before going to new ones.

It really hard to give advice on something like this , without seeing it for myself .

What tire pressure are you running ?

Check shocks for leaks ,

Check tires for any patterns , like flat spots or scalops

Check all bolts , shocks , mounts ect.

Check your engine mounts for leaks, they are fluid filled .

Before adding anything check all the above

It really hard to give advice on something like this , without seeing it for myself .

What tire pressure are you running ?

Check shocks for leaks ,

Check tires for any patterns , like flat spots or scalops

Check all bolts , shocks , mounts ect.

Check your engine mounts for leaks, they are fluid filled .

Before adding anything check all the above

He's a seafood lover -- He's got scallops.:D

Seriously -- that's probably what's causing his shake.

Check all the other suggestions too but the tire scallops, to my mind, would be the main contributor.

C.

I checked the shocks two weeks ago and they are dry. The bolts have not been checked and I will get on this this weekend. I did not check the engine mounts, I will have a look at these too. The tires are severely scalloped, hence why I want to have a bit of fun with them before I get new ones. Tires pressures run between 30-32psi and these were checked a week ago.

Thanks Manny....and Colin too I guess.:D My car likes seafood, I do not.

I had a car, an '03 G35 Infiniti Coupe, that had this very problem caused by front end wear that caused the tires to scallop and hence a bad vibration as they rotated.

The cause of your scalloping might be different than what caused my scalloping on the Infiniti but the end result seems very similar. : the abnormal and severe wear made the tires thump like mad at all speeds.

G/L with repairs Riley but it seems you'll have that thumping until you get new rubber.
Misalignment and/or bad front suspension parts probably caused the scalloping and would need to be addressed first (as you've already gathered)..

Cheers,
C.

Hey Colin, this is worse than a tire vibration. I can hear the buzz from the scallop on the tires but the wheel hop, or drive train shake violently makes the car shutter/shake/buck when trying to launch it. It's not fun at all and really does feel like something could break.

It will need an alignment from someone that knows what they are doing and can tell me what parts need to be replaced if any.

I've had the violent shakes before and it was wheel balance .There is a lotta tire for not much car volume .Or it could be something else .

Do ya feel it in the floor,or seat ,or shifter ,or all of the above ???

It feels like violent wheel hop and makes the whole car shake. It's like the car goes bang, bang, bang when I try to launch it. It doesn't just break the tires loose, it bangs.

you need to get this on a hoist and have a good look around. Maybe stab links...maybe a lot of things..... but get it fixed man .

+1 on inspection. It sounds like 'wheel tramp' which means weak suspension parts on the rear and/or broken links and the like.

G/L Riley.

C.

I can't agree with you guys more! I love this car and drive it like an old man 99% of the time, but every once in a while you want to have some fun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.