CCO

Old Timer
Aug 5, 2011
Cambridge ON
VetteCoins
Car
2006 vert, 1994 vert
Had a local, reputable shop (Beverly Tire) check the alignment on my new 'Vette today and was delighted to find that it was pretty close to factory spec.
I did have them zero the toe in front and rear to maximize tire life.

I've now got 1900 km on my ride now with no visible excess tire wear.

Caster and Camber were quite close but optimized also front and rear.

I did this mainly after learning elsewhere that GS's especially were leaving the factory either out of alignment or set up too aggressively (for max performance instead of reasonable tire wear).

At today's tire prices I thought it prudent to spend the $89 to prevent any excess tire ware........and besides, I don't 'carve as many corners' as I used to.

Thought I'd share and wondered who here has had an alignment done on their new ride and how good or bad it was.

Thanks for the reference Manny -- I told them you sent me in and was duly impressed with them who seem very professional and willing to share info: I did get a chance to chat with the mechanic who did the work.

Cheers,
Colin.

Just a question with the zero toe. Don't you want a little toe in on the front and a bit of toe out on the back? The reason I ask is because when driving the front tires want to push out, so a little toe in will result in zero toe when moving and the toe out on the back will result in zero toe under power.

Nice to see that people will do an alignment with how you ask though. When I was diving my 98 Impreza 2.5RS, the dealership would not do anything outside of a factory alignment which I was not happy about because on the highway, if it was icy, the rear end would "wag" and the car really wanted to rotate. Great for rally driving (fun on gravel) but it would not inspire confidence on a slippery highway.

Just a question with the zero toe. Don't you want a little toe in on the front and a bit of toe out on the back? The reason I ask is because when driving the front tires want to push out, so a little toe in will result in zero toe when moving and the toe out on the back will result in zero toe under power.

Nice to see that people will do an alignment with how you ask though. When I was diving my 98 Impreza 2.5RS, the dealership would not do anything outside of a factory alignment which I was not happy about because on the highway, if it was icy, the rear end would "wag" and the car really wanted to rotate. Great for rally driving (fun on gravel) but it would not inspire confidence on a slippery highway.

Good point Riley and I would say ordinarily that would hold true but my tech said 0 toe is AOK on my 'vette. (It may not be on others tho) .....

Apparently the zero toe holds its line and stays zero.
I didn't argue with him......I figure he knows better than me.

I was warned (b4 I went for the alignment) that with zero toe the car may 'wander' somewhat ---

I doesn't and is at least as good as it was b4 the recent alignment.

BTW-- I've just checked my sheet and realized that my car was set at -.05 degrees toe on both front and rear on the left side only. Right side is 0 front and rear.
So I was wrong: it isn't 0 toe. at least not on both sides.

Colin.

I think the tolerances and parts are probably good enough on a new Corvette that it could be set up with zero toe. Maybe I'm just used to the parts and looseness of 60's cars.

LOL, I remember those days Riley -- A good alignment back then was one that allowed you to keep it steered "between the fence posts"... :driving:

I somehow got the idea that you were much younger.:D

BTW -- I drove mine about 240 clicks down to Niagara on the Lake with Tony today..

(lol, felt as good as at 100 clicks - very stable)

no seriously - it was the longest drive yet in the car and she felt fine: No wander, solid as a rock, varying speeds from 90 to 120'ish and was AOK.
I was amazed that I didn't feel the considerable crosswind at all.
So the alignment didn't bugger anything up as far as I can tell and I'm hoping that the new settings will allow for max life on the tires.

BTW -- gorgeous day finally for a run. Met Tony in Hamilton area for a Timmies and then cruised down to his neck of the woods where the Automotive Warehouse is to pick up my reserved Optima Battery along with a set of McGard Locking nuts to help keep my wheels and tires from growing legs and running away on me.
Great day. We're hoping for another this month to include Ford Prefect (Wayne) who lives nearby.

Only disappointment of the day was my forgetting the camera. Next time for sure.

Cheers,
Colin.

Well, I don't mean to mislead with my age as I am only 34. I know the 60's cars because that is my first love and I still have my 66' Chevelle. In high school I got to drive a 74 Challenger that used more power steering fluid than fuel and a 70' 340 4-speed Duster. Man that car was mean. All thanks to my uncle who is a Mopar guy.

I'm jealous about the drive you were able to take today. We've had snow for nearly two weeks now. I don't expect to see my Corvette until some time in late April or May.:mad:

Well, I don't mean to mislead with my age as I am only 34. I know the 60's cars because that is my first love and I still have my 66' Chevelle. In high school I got to drive a 74 Challenger that used more power steering fluid than fuel and a 70' 340 4-speed Duster. Man that car was mean. All thanks to my uncle who is a Mopar guy.

I'm jealous about the drive you were able to take today. We've had snow for nearly two weeks now. I don't expect to see my Corvette until some time in late April or May.:mad:

I was pullin' you chain about age -- I know that you're younger and have a passion for old muscle.....I know the '66 -- a close friend had one -- is your's a 327 or does it have a transplant?

Yes the old muscle -- my first of many was a '68 B'cuda 340 (S) and my twin brother's was a '69 Swinger 340 (yellow bumble bee stripe) -- and they had quite a rep back then. deservedly so. :D

I'd love to chat about old cars sometime. -- That old muscle and nice cars appeal to all ages.

Yeah we're in a sort of Indian Summer event -- tho not quite that warm it is much milder than normal and yes we're taking every advantage we can to get out and enjoy the fine weather.
Wish you and all our other members could be here with us and have a nice cruise. We know you're here in spirit that's for sure.

Cheers,
C. (the old fart out east)

As best as I can figure, the car was a 283 with a powerglide (the tags are missing). When my dad bought it, it had the 396 in it with the powerglide. That lasted a year until a 4 speed was put in. Now that I have it, I am going to upgrade the rear end to at least get both tires spinning and probably add some electric cutouts to the exhaust.

As best as I can figure, the car was a 283 with a powerglide (the tags are missing). When my dad bought it, it had the 396 in it with the powerglide. That lasted a year until a 4 speed was put in. Now that I have it, I am going to upgrade the rear end to at least get both tires spinning and probably add some electric cutouts to the exhaust.

Nice little machine you have there especially with the 4 speed. Those engines go back almost as far as I do and are efficient -- lol -- so there's many a bolt on or mod if you choose.
Would love to see pics sometime.

Good for you for saving it and keeping it. Not the cheapest hobby in the world but thankfully many have it, hence we can still enjoy many of the old hot cars.
Indeed there are many I had in the past that I wish were still in the stable.:(

Cheers,
C.

Users who are viewing this thread