xlr8r

Power User
Apr 23, 2012
Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
So my rear shocks are "sweating" on my base-model 2005 vette (I believe it's the 3LT package). I would ask your opinions on how to proceed as it looks like I will replace them (and a leaking oil gasket) as thei year's mods. Keep in mind I have magnetic/electric ride, so my options could be limited and pricier. My main goal is to have fun on the street--I do not track my car, but a nicer stance might be in the cards if I'm doing the work anyways.

YOUR HELP AND OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED!

Here's some ideas and questions:

Are coilovers the same price as shocks? Do they require any other parts to get installed?

Do I need new sway bars if I go coilover route?

Can I have rear coilovers, but front shocks, or do all four need to be done at once??

Is my car available to upgrade to Z06/Z51 shocks, or does the magnetic suspension exclude me from the upgrade?

Manny, can you send prices for any options? Perhaps a Pfadt set-up is sitting around the shop? The dealership is messing with me on prices--quoted me a jaw-dropping price for OEM stuff. Thinking upgrades might cheaper anyways! I also do not know how the magnetic/electoronic stuff impacts my options.

On another note--how long do you guys think it is to change the oilpan gasket? Is it a really long job? Dealership seems to think it's about 5.2 hours, which I can't believe. I know the rear crossmember has to come off, but still.......

DISCUSS!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Here's my limited understanding of Corvette shocks.

Any aftermarket shock will eliminate the in car adjustability. No aftermarket sway bars are needed with coilovers. I don't believe Pfadt is in business anymore. Replacement factory shocks are still expensive but really aren't work the money.

I ordered LG coilovers last week. I don't really care for the "Touring/Sport" switch on my car so I don't mind if I lose it. It's always set to "sport" anyways. My main goal was to adjust the ride height. But from what I've read it's a big improvement over stock in cornering as well. Especially so with our 05s….

Again I'm new to corvettes and I'm learning as I go along. I'm sure other members here have more info to offer.

I stopped by Manny's today and snapped a pic of the LGs. Getting installed on the 7th.

1E4A3B76-F1A3-4BD0-AC39-993BDA0D0572_zpsg4j672fv.jpg

They are nice looking. Are you doing all four corners at once, or just the rears/fronts? How easy/difficult is it to adjust the ride height once they went in? I would love to hear your feedback once you've driven on them. Both these jobs DO NOT have to be done right away. They aren't leaking, only sweating, so I am sure I can last the summer. However, if I see a good deal, I might pounce.

Definantly not going through the dealership on this one though.

They are nice looking. Are you doing all four corners at once, or just the rears/fronts? How easy/difficult is it to adjust the ride height once they went in? I would love to hear your feedback once you've driven on them. Both these jobs DO NOT have to be done right away. They aren't leaking, only sweating, so I am sure I can last the summer. However, if I see a good deal, I might pounce.

Definantly not going through the dealership on this one though.

I'm getting the front and rears done. Adjusting the height requires the wheels to come off but fairly simple after that. I'm not looking to slam it, just lower it a half inch or so.

I was able to take her out on the highways this weekend. Cruising at 135-150kmh and I had more body roll than I had expected. Didn't quite feel sure footed enough. We have 9 year old shocks and are most likely worn out.

I'll let you know how they feel.

I might have to get the oilpan gasket changed on my 09. It leaked a bit over the winter but seems ok now. It is under warranty until the end of May and the dealership said a couple of the bolts were a little loose. We will see what happens. Over 5 hours labour does seem a bit steep to replace it. If it is out of warranty I would probably ask Manny to do it anyway.

Ok guys to replace the oilpan gasket you have to drop the entire front sub frame , this mean an alignment on top of the labour . 5 hours is not out of the question its actually bang on .

As for shocks , if you have an F45/F55 mag ride suspension you will need someone ( Like Dasilva Motorsports ) with a TECH2 tool to reprogram the BCM for a base car . Other wise you are stuck buying the OEM shocks .

Manny

Ok guys to replace the oilpan gasket you have to drop the entire front sub frame , this mean an alignment on top of the labour . 5 hours is not out of the question its actually bang on .

As for shocks , if you have an F45/F55 mag ride suspension you will need someone ( Like Dasilva Motorsports ) with a TECH2 tool to reprogram the BCM for a base car . Other wise you are stuck buying the OEM shocks .

Manny

PM sent on this. Thanks for the head's up on the labour.

Regarding the shocks, let me know your recommendation--I can certainly look at buying the parts at Da Silva--even if I need to find a TECH2 reprograming tool closer to home!

THANKS!:canada:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.