Apr 19, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
1989 corvette
Province
ON
So I’m about to try replacing my water pump on my 89 Vette by following YouTube videos . All the vettes I see do not have this pipe running slightly above the pump.
What is this pipe?
IMG_6800.jpeg

So I’m about to try replacing my water pump on my 89 Vette by following YouTube videos . All the vettes I see do not have this pipe running slightly above the pump.
What is this pipe?
View attachment 108782
That pipe runs from the air pump (mounted on the left side along with the alternator), across to the diverter valve on the right side (mounted just left of the AC compressor). I replaced the water pump a few years back. Its a chore, but its just nuts and bolts, I think I was about 3 hours teardown and 3 hours reassemble. I recall having to grind down a socket to torque the right side bolts as space is limited. Also be careful on removal of the serpentine belt. A 1/2 drive ratchet will fit into the idler to take off tension, but when you release the idler after belt removal, it springs down and may jam your ratchet at the frame crossmember. Good luck.

That pipe runs from the air pump (mounted on the left side along with the alternator), across to the diverter valve on the right side (mounted just left of the AC compressor). I replaced the water pump a few years back. Its a chore, but its just nuts and bolts, I think I was about 3 hours teardown and 3 hours reassemble. I recall having to grind down a socket to torque the right side bolts as space is limited. Also be careful on removal of the serpentine belt. A 1/2 drive ratchet will fit into the idler to take off tension, but when you release the idler after belt removal, it springs down and may jam your ratchet at the frame crossmember. Good luck.
THANKS FOR THE REPLY, Did you remove that pipe or work around it..im not sure why the other vettes did not have one

THANKS FOR THE REPLY, Did you remove that pipe or work around it..im not sure why the other vettes did not have one
Remove the pipe. I think it disconnects quite easily and you'll need all the room you can get. Also pay close attention to the new pump gaskets. I wound up doing the whole operation twice because the gaskets slipped on the first try, which you don't find out until its all reassembled and you start the engine. I used gasket goo to hold them in place on the 2nd effort and it worked well.
You may want to consider replacing the hoses and thermostat as well. Also check the airspace between your rad and the AC condenser. This space can clog up with debris. Check the rad and flush it. I know this seems like extra work but remember the beast is 34 years old. Sorry to be long winded, but its stuff I've been through, mostly the hard way.

Remove the pipe. I think it disconnects quite easily and you'll need all the room you can get. Also pay close attention to the new pump gaskets. I wound up doing the whole operation twice because the gaskets slipped on the first try, which you don't find out until its all reassembled and you start the engine. I used gasket goo to hold them in place on the 2nd effort and it worked well.
You may want to consider replacing the hoses and thermostat as well. Also check the airspace between your rad and the AC condenser. This space can clog up with debris. Check the rad and flush it. I know this seems like extra work but remember the beast is 34 years old. Sorry to be long winded, but its stuff I've been through, mostly the hard way.
Hey. The more info and help the better. I am finding lots of repairs coming my way these days. Between my daily driver and the vette the costs are getting up there. Being able to save a few hundred dollars here and there definitely helps. I need to change the shocks as well next week. I’ll be deep in this car for a few weeks. Thanks again.

Reactions: OL Yeller
Hey. The more info and help the better. I am finding lots of repairs coming my way these days. Between my daily driver and the vette the costs are getting up there. Being able to save a few hundred dollars here and there definitely helps. I need to change the shocks as well next week. I’ll be deep in this car for a few weeks. Thanks again.
Let us know how it all turns out.

I started to work on the water pump , but as I got deeper into it the more I realized I was too old to see the little parts clear .
Too old to twist my back way over the wide engine bay .
Too old to scrape my fat fingers and try to place tools in tight places .
But young enough to use my iPhone to book an appt for my mechanic to do the work.
Came out great. Now the alternator just died and thinking if I should tackle that or let the mechanic do it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.