charles2010

Casual User
Ontario You're Celebrated
May 21, 2019
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Good day everyone, please excuse the "newbie" type questions but it is truly from the heart. I have owned two C4's and one C5 and I know quite well how they drove, how they felt handling etc. I have not driven a C6 yet, but I am told it is quite different in the sense for more power. But what is it TRULY like to drive a C7? is it completely different? is it revolutionary? the CAR is a stunner to me -- since 2014 with the new stingray. Sadly I personally know no-one whom has one to even sit in, but I certainly see them on the roads. Make a Vette lover's day -- tell me about it?

Thanks.
Regards
Charles

The C6 is fantastic to drive. The C7 is equally as fantastic however feels slightly different. More planted in my opinion. I’ve owed both in Z06 configurations. The biggest difference is the interior improvements on the C7 over the C6. They are substantial.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Good day everyone, please excuse the "newbie" type questions but it is truly from the heart. I have owned two C4's and one C5 and I know quite well how they drove, how they felt handling etc. I have not driven a C6 yet, but I am told it is quite different in the sense for more power. But what is it TRULY like to drive a C7? is it completely different? is it revolutionary? the CAR is a stunner to me -- since 2014 with the new stingray. Sadly I personally know no-one whom has one to even sit in, but I certainly see them on the roads. Make a Vette lover's day -- tell me about it?

Thanks.
Regards
Charles

With your having both C4's and a C5, you should be aware of the handling difference between those two generations. The C5 went through drastic mods including a hydroformed box frame and moving the transmission back into an integrated transaxle assembly. This gave the C5 a 50/50 weight distribution for greatly improved handling ability and the hydroformed frame pretty much eliminated the rattles and queaks from the previous generations. If your C5 had the LS1 engine, it was either 345 or 350 HP, depending on the year. (Obviously the larger Z06 engine produced more HP but to keep this post shorter than War and Peace, I am only addressing base models). The C6 engine was the 6.0 litre LS2 in the early years which produced 400 HP. In 2008, a new 6.2 litre LS3 engine, producing 430 HP was used, and the LS3 is arguably the best engine GM had built in a long time and very desirable for HP producing modifications. The C6 suspension geometry was also tweaked again somewhat from the C5 which improved handling again. Then along came the C7. The LT1 engine found in the C7 is also a 6.2 litre but is a completely different engine than the LS. It is a direct injection engine which produces 460 HP (with the performance exhaust option, 455 without) and the manual transmission went from a 6 speed to a 7 speed. Necessary? Probably not as their was zero wrong with the 6 speed IMO.
I have owned both the C6 (LS3 engine) and now, the C7 (LT1 engine), and I do notice the difference in the acceleration, whether it is a result of the additional 30 HP or the newer 7 spd transmission gearing. The power band of the LT1 is also totally changed for the better IMO as well. While my C6 had a short build up when you asked it to go, my C7 is instant and climbs very close to dead smooth throughout every gear.... Ok...Except for 7th...lol
As Derek mentions, the body styling of the C7 and the interior quality is a huge difference. There was always a bit of a 'cheaped out' feeling with the older models interior makeup and finishing. This was a major grumble from owners that was dramatically resolved in the C7. There is a world of difference in the interior layout, materials, stitching, leather etc. etc. etc. especially with the higher trim optioned models. When you sit in a C7, it almost seems to automatically fit your body perfectly. They are comfortable to drive whether it's a 6 minute or 6 hour cruise. No sore spots, no cramped legs or a$$. They ride smooth, are quiet, handle like they are on rails, and can go like h3ll. GM have done a great job over the years with the Corvette. I love them all but the C7 is such a jump in design and quality materials from previous models, I gotta say they listened and did it right pretty much all around this time. It will be interesting if the same will be said about the new mid engine that is being revealed in July. Hope this answered some of your questions and likely some more members will chime in as well (and correct any of my mistakes...lol)
As for taking a C7 for a drive, they have been around long enough now that I'm thinking any dealership (if they think you are serious) will let you take one for a (chaperoned) test drive.

Eric

Last edited:
Excellent overview. Personally I am not one to go to a dealer and ask for a test drive, I know I am not buying; would love to one day; but really I know I am not and I do not think personally it is right for me to give a dealer hope I am purchasing a new car. There is a rental car company who's name fails me now, they are essentially like uber except they have people set their personal cars available for rent via the web, unique type cars like Corvettes and you can rent them for a day or two. A friend mentioned this to me, also there are few car reviewers on you-tube who use this service to rent unique cars to review - I guess if I ever really wanted to see what a C7 drove like, I could rent one (I am over 25 LOL) and see for myself.

Regards
Charles

I am seriously thinking about getting a C6, but more specifically an '07 Ron Fellows Z06. I've always wanted one, but was reluctant to pay what people were asking for them. I probably still wont search too hard this year, unless the right deal comes along, but I really hope to be in a position to get one next year.
Having said that though, I will still keep the C5.....I just can't part with this one anytime soon.:D

Hello Dub, that is a BEAUTIFUL CAR !! RED!! ok I am partial to RED VETTES I admit it. Chome Wheels, and Magnetic RED. Is your car Auto or Manual? Do you have HUD? just curious -- while I love ALL CORVETTES - yours is RED -- did I mention I like RED Corvettes!!

Regards
Charles

• Haha
Reactions: Dub and YFCvii
Go for c7 used price great values
Hello Steve, the C7''s are incredible looking - only thing I can say about them since never been in one. But unfortunately my budget does not permit me a C7. Oh to Dream, but an excellent C6 would be my dream car. I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.

Regards
Charles

Hello Dub, that is a BEAUTIFUL CAR !! RED!! ok I am partial to RED VETTES I admit it. Chome Wheels, and Magnetic RED. Is your car Auto or Manual? Do you have HUD? just curious -- while I love ALL CORVETTES - yours is RED -- did I mention I like RED Corvettes!!

Regards
Charles
Thanks, my car is a 6 speed and yes it has HUD. The only option my car did not come with is the Magnetic ride control, which I am very happy about, as I am converting to 2013 Z06 shocks and Z51 sway bars.

I asked about the HUD because my previous Vette the 2000 C5 -- in Silver (look the dealer did not have a RED one!!) ok, and I loved having it on, I loved watching it float out IN FRONT Of the car, perhaps my eyes are weird but I did not see ON the window screen it floats out beyond it, I thought this was really really cool!! So my next car it has to have a HUD, just something I liked. Also I old-school when it comes to driving a sports-car I like the Manual control. I know all the super exotics and even the new C8 will be automatic so it can shift in .02 billionths of a millisecond, does not mean much to me. I am in NO WAY a racer, no one would mistake me for Mario Andretti so for me if I shift in 10 seconds vs. 1 millisecond is not a selling point, and I find it a shame that more and more cars are losing the manual. I know the sells are not there anymore, based on what I read, the majority the VAST majority of C7's are now automatic and even finding on a lot a manual is difficult. People complain the C8 is not manual, yet from what I read no one buys manuals anymore. Ferrari and Lambo both did a study to consider -- should we do manual, and the results were their customers do not want it, and it seems these days that is true.

I give you a funny story, a cop pulls over this driver in his Ferrari, -- comes up to the window and says -- "who do you think you are Mario Andretti? speeding like that" -- he says " Yes I am " - it really was him. LOL

Regards,
Charles

Hello, it is interesting for someone or magazine or website to 'rank' Corvettes, frankly I do not think one could do this. Allow me to elaborate, each generation was unique for its generation and cool for its generation. Each one has its own style and presence that made it what it was for that generation. I love all Corvettes I do not think I have ever seen one ( I am referring to Factory cars not heavily modified ones) that I said --hmm I do not like it, I think they are all cool in their own unique way from what ever generation. I am a strong believer in beauty is in the eye of the beholder and when it comes to Vettes this is VERY true in my 'very' humble opinion.

I simply would not rate them -- I love them all uniquely.

regards
Charles

Hello, it is interesting for someone or magazine or website to 'rank' Corvettes, frankly I do not think one could do this. Allow me to elaborate, each generation was unique for its generation and cool for its generation. Each one has its own style and presence that made it what it was for that generation. I love all Corvettes I do not think I have ever seen one ( I am referring to Factory cars not heavily modified ones) that I said --hmm I do not like it, I think they are all cool in their own unique way from what ever generation. I am a strong believer in beauty is in the eye of the beholder and when it comes to Vettes this is VERY true in my 'very' humble opinion.

I simply would not rate them -- I love them all uniquely.

regards
Charles
Agree, some writers opinion, means nothing to me. Really depends on what you are doing with the car as well. You going to choose a C2 to drive on a cross country trip that includes the desert? Probably not.

Ok , I will bite, sorry for my ignorance my friend, why would it be 'bad to drive a C2 cross county that includes the desert?' - the C2 would include I guess the 60's cars like a 63 split window or a 65 convertible right? the coke bottle cars are the c3's correct?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.