Aug 25, 2019
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
2015 2LT Z51
Province
AB
Hi guys. I have yet to fill my tank for the first time, but it will need it soon. Thankfully I read in the manual to avoid ethanol above 15% (never knew that), so I was wondering what gas stations are safe to purchase from, and what ones I should avoid. I seem to recall that Mohawk does have ethanol in their gas, but I’m not positive. Costco seems to have the best prices, with premium hovering around $1.00/ liter.
Thanks.

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
Not sure about out West, but here in the East the only stations that sell ethanol free premium gas that I am aware of are Shell, Mobil and Husky. At one time Ultramar had no ethanol but that seems to have changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cruzin
Run premium 94 octane (ethanol free) if you can find it. Petro Canada is what I’ve been using this summer. Was using Shell V power 91 the last 2 summers. It’s good too but the 94 is much nicer. My car runs really good and mileage is probably better too.

My car got sick mileage yesterday. Just over 400 kms and used a little over a 1/4 tank. I never exceeded 130 kms an hour in my travels at all either as most of it was in the National Park and RCMP were everywhere.

Reactions: Cruzin
Interesting that you use Petro Canada fuel because on their web site they state quite clearly all their fuels contain ethanol - up to 10% - because it is blended at the pump. Some Shell stations will also blend ethanol, but you need to confirm with the station owner whether they have non ethanol fuel.
It would seem that the day of ethanol free fuel is drawing to a close, that being the case then the next best step would be to ensure that the ethanol blend content does not exceed 10% which is still better than the 15% stipulated in the manual which was primarily developed for the US market where 15% is the norm.

Reactions: Vegas1500
The station I go to has no ethanol stickers on the pumps. I would think it’s law that if the fuel contains it,the consumer has to know. I could be wrong. I’ve asked the owner of the station I go to and he said no ethanol in his. I take him at his word.

Reactions: 2mnycars
Well after googling it,it seems like they do add it now. I’m going to look on his pumps again tomorrow. If that’s the case,Looks like it’s back to Shell V power.

09B1E104-AB5C-4990-B5C3-D357E7163EBC.png

• Informative
Reactions: LE BARON
Found this pdf on ethanol content by gasoline supplier. It is based on Ontario gas retailers so local results may vary and it is a few years old.
Ethanol content in fuel starts as Federal legislation as a guideline with Provincial regulations supplementing those. In any event it is my understanding that all fuel pumps are required to carry a sticker indicating the content.
As best as can tell from current searches Shell and Esso 91 octane are ethanol free. No one supplies a 92+ octane fuel that is ethanol free.
So it appears you have 2 choices. Run 92+ octane and live with the ethanol content. This should not be an issue providing the vehicle is not stored for long periods as ethanol attracts moisture and can create a gummy residue in the tank over time. It can also be hard on parts of the fuel system but I suspect less so today as manufacturers have probably adjusted materials to compensate for this.
The other choice is to back down to 91 octane without ethanol. The only reason for the higher octane in my opinion is to reduce ping or knock in high compression engines. So the simple test - if you get no ping/knock at 91 and can enjoy the benefit of no ethanol that would seem to me the better way to go. The higher octane will not provide any performance or economy boost, just an avoidance of ping/knock.

Attachments

• Ethanol_in_Ontario.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 360
Ran/run Petro Canada 94 octane in all my vettes, and never have had an issue....even after sitting all winter.
Mine sat with Shell 91 over the winter. Just under 1/2 tank. You know for what it’s worth,,,I’ll probably just continue with the PC 94 and store it with Shell. A guy could go nuts over who says what. What goes where. So on so on. Spend more time worrying about things and not enjoying the driving.

Nothing wrong with a strategy of PC 94 with ethanol in the summer and storing with Shell 91 no ethanol in the winter. I personally prefer to avoid ethanol if I can because of a bad experience with my 42 year old classic car. The ethanol contamination required the tank to be drained, dropped and flushed and the fuel sender unit replaced. Wasn't fun and wasn't cheap but the most frustrating part was the time it took to track that down as the actual problem and cause of why the car would not run right. Lost a month and half of cruising with it and spent money on other things that did nothing to fix the problem.
So I tend to be more cautious of what I put in the tank these days.

Reactions: Tony Gull
According to the Shell web site they claim that their Shell V-Power nitro+ fuel contains no ethanol at any of their stations across Canada. Now that is a very significant claim because ethanol is blended at the pump from a separate tank. So it begs the question who checks and corrects a franchise operator from blending their premium fuel with ethanol when there may be a cost benefit/increased profit per litre from blending?
Where is a chemist when we need one?

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Mine sat with Shell 91 over the winter. Just under 1/2 tank. You know for what it’s worth,,,I’ll probably just continue with the PC 94 and store it with Shell. A guy could go nuts over who says what. What goes where. So on so on. Spend more time worrying about things and not enjoying the driving.

My car was low on fuel when we met in YYC for your cruise day in August Mike. I fueled up at your favourite station with the 94 and the car ran great. Didn’t see any ethanol sticker on the pumps either.
The Mobil 94 I used a week before in Langley didn’t have the sticker on the pump either.
For storage... last year and this year it’s sitting with just under 1/4 of a tank of some treated (Stabil) 91 with ethanol. Never had a problem with this fuel in the tank over the winter. But I always treat it and ensure the car runs for 15 minutes to mix it through the system well.

@Dale124 Dale your car will run fine on 91 fuel with or without 10% ethanol. Just follow the manual and you’ll be fine. Storage set up is always a lively discussion here every fall so hang on to your hat.

Storage fundamentals below.

For the Corvette:
1568587942525.jpeg

For the driver after putting the Corvette away for 6 1/2 months. 😢
1568587843890.jpeg

Since we bought our 2005 Corvette in 2012, we have used Shell premium 91 in everything from the Corvette to our lawnmowers. Zero fuel related problems, so we stick with it. That is good enough for us. There is a Shell gas station just up the street from our Monday cruise nights so the car gets filled then and that usually does us the week. The car is great on gas getting well over 30 mpg on the highway.

Here in the Niagara Region of Ontario.........I've been using CTC gas.
The 91 grade has NO ethanol, the 89 grade has 5%, while the 87 grade
has 10%. The gas pumps carry this message right where you can see it.

For over winter, fill gas tank with at least 80% full, and add stabilizer.
A full or nearly full tank leaves little room for water moisture to condense.
Thats what works for me, YMMV !
CTC = canadian tire corp.

Tony

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
My car was low on fuel when we met in YYC for your cruise day in August Mike. I fueled up at your favourite station with the 94 and the car ran great. Didn’t see any ethanol sticker on the pumps either.
The Mobil 94 I used a week before in Langley didn’t have the sticker on the pump either.
For storage... last year and this year it’s sitting with just under 1/4 of a tank of some treated (Stabil) 91 with ethanol. Never had a problem with this fuel in the tank over the winter. But I always treat it and ensure the car runs for 15 minutes to mix it through the system well.

@Dale124 Dale your car will run fine on 91 fuel with or without 10% ethanol. Just follow the manual and you’ll be fine. Storage set up is always a lively discussion here every fall so hang on to your hat.

Storage fundamentals below.

For the Corvette:
View attachment 31466

For the driver after putting the Corvette away for 6 1/2 months. 😢
View attachment 31465
I threw in $25.00 from that same station this morning. No stickers on his. Not my regular PC station but I will look later this week in my work travels and post what I find at various stations.

Reactions: ddgermann
Here in the Niagara Region of Ontario.........I've been using CTC gas.
The 91 grade has NO ethanol, the 89 grade has 5%, while the 87 grade
has 10%. The gas pumps carry this message right where you can see it.

For over winter, fill gas tank with at least 80% full, and add stabilizer.
A full or nearly full tank leaves little room for water moisture to condense.
Thats what works for me, YMMV !
CTC = canadian tire corp.

Tony
Unless you have a c7 please read the manual

Reactions: Vegas1500
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.