May 19, 2016
Airdrie
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z51
Province
AB
I don't know what ever happened to Michael's original thread on this, so I'm starting a new one.

This has been another crazy week for me. I'm still struggling with my sleep, so I did three days in a row without any once again. It's not a big deal when it only happens occasionally, but when it is steady for three months it presents astounding problems. Anyway, the sleep stuff is a different story.

So tired and out of sorts, my Aunt called me late last week and asked me to help her get some pictures and music set up for her mother's memorial, which was yesterday. She's been working on these pictures for months, and presented me with a USB stick which has a couple hundred scanned photos on it. The 'music' was a list of song titles (without artist names), and I had less than a week to make something work in a hotel that I have never been to, and have no idea what kind of equipment they have to work with.

I managed to gather up some samples of music, and met up with her to go over things. She didn't like most of the stuff I picked (based on her nondescript list), and I had to redo a few songs. I don't know if any of the rest of you know the pain of this kind of stuff, but it is like this: Find a song and listen to it fully through and decide if it is good. If no, pick another one and listen to it all the way through and repeat until you find one you like. Then, play it again so that I can record it. Then play it again so that I can make sure that the recording is good and has good levels without clipping or being too quiet, or any other interference like e-mail or messenger notifications (multiple recordings). Then I add the pictures and adjust the timings, and play it through again to make sure everything is good. Then I have to compress the video out to a file that can be used on multiple devices, and I have to play it through again on computer, phone, tablet, etc. To try to put it into basic perspective, a single three and a half minute song is at least three hours worth of work. x10 is a fairly efficient multiplier. I ended up with about 25 minutes of video, and let's just say that I wasn't efficient enough to get it all done in a mere 25 hours.

I finally got everything sorted, and then tested my USB sticks on the televisions in my house, and only three out of six tvs would play it. Not good. "Don't worry" everyone told me. "A good hotel with conference rooms and stuff has to have top of the line new equipment, so it will work." I didn't believe them, and it's a good thing I didn't. I made contingencies. I copied the files to two laptops and purchased two DVI adapters to allow output to HDMI ports, and brought two Chromecasts, and two micro PCs (with HDMI and A/V outputs) just in case. I also brought HDMI and A/V cables, power cables, three power packs, two cell phones with copies and a spare battery for my phone as well. I had copies on three USBs, two hard drives, two laptops, and two phones. I brought two bluetooth speakers just in case the audio wouldn't work (and it didn't), and I had listened to all of the songs so many times that if I really needed to, I could sing them myself.

Just my luck, I got to the hotel and the TVs are second gen LCDs. Sure, they have USB ports, but they would not play videos. Thank goodness I brought several HDMI devices to be able to handle multiple independent screens, but since I couldn't sync the audio on independent TVs, I had to come up with something else. Their audio system was a 1/8 stereo jack in the wall (I did have cables though), but didn't work worth a s**t, and only played on one side of the room. So I used my phone to play the videos (for the audio) through a bluetooth speaker in the center of the room, and used my wife and another family member to simultaneously start the videos on each laptop to display on the screens in each half of the room.

It was hokey, but it worked. I spent so much time trying to figure out all of the little things that were going to cause me problems that I never did find the time to dye my hair red to pay homage to the great lady that I was doing this all for. All the better I suppose, because I don't have enough hair to color and I would have wound up with red skin instead anyway.

Thanks for letting me vent, to those of you who actually read all of this. Thank you to my wife and her parents for listening to me curse and disappear into my room in the basement for hours at a time for several days to make it happen, and of course thank you to Margaret - Thank you for letting me be a part of your life. May the fourth be with you, always.

The Memory of your Aunt’s Mother now includes your tremendous devotion and honourable effort - inclusive of this thread. A lot of things can be said in life that reflects experiences when overcoming obstacles. Condolence is extended to everyone influenced by this loss and thank you for sharing.

I hope you can find resolve with your bouts of Insomnia.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
I don't know what ever happened to Michael's original thread on this, so I'm starting a new one.

This has been another crazy week for me. I'm still struggling with my sleep, so I did three days in a row without any once again. It's not a big deal when it only happens occasionally, but when it is steady for three months it presents astounding problems. Anyway, the sleep stuff is a different story.

So tired and out of sorts, my Aunt called me late last week and asked me to help her get some pictures and music set up for her mother's memorial, which was yesterday. She's been working on these pictures for months, and presented me with a USB stick which has a couple hundred scanned photos on it. The 'music' was a list of song titles (without artist names), and I had less than a week to make something work in a hotel that I have never been to, and have no idea what kind of equipment they have to work with.

I managed to gather up some samples of music, and met up with her to go over things. She didn't like most of the stuff I picked (based on her nondescript list), and I had to redo a few songs. I don't know if any of the rest of you know the pain of this kind of stuff, but it is like this: Find a song and listen to it fully through and decide if it is good. If no, pick another one and listen to it all the way through and repeat until you find one you like. Then, play it again so that I can record it. Then play it again so that I can make sure that the recording is good and has good levels without clipping or being too quiet, or any other interference like e-mail or messenger notifications (multiple recordings). Then I add the pictures and adjust the timings, and play it through again to make sure everything is good. Then I have to compress the video out to a file that can be used on multiple devices, and I have to play it through again on computer, phone, tablet, etc. To try to put it into basic perspective, a single three and a half minute song is at least three hours worth of work. x10 is a fairly efficient multiplier. I ended up with about 25 minutes of video, and let's just say that I wasn't efficient enough to get it all done in a mere 25 hours.

I finally got everything sorted, and then tested my USB sticks on the televisions in my house, and only three out of six tvs would play it. Not good. "Don't worry" everyone told me. "A good hotel with conference rooms and stuff has to have top of the line new equipment, so it will work." I didn't believe them, and it's a good thing I didn't. I made contingencies. I copied the files to two laptops and purchased two DVI adapters to allow output to HDMI ports, and brought two Chromecasts, and two micro PCs (with HDMI and A/V outputs) just in case. I also brought HDMI and A/V cables, power cables, three power packs, two cell phones with copies and a spare battery for my phone as well. I had copies on three USBs, two hard drives, two laptops, and two phones. I brought two bluetooth speakers just in case the audio wouldn't work (and it didn't), and I had listened to all of the songs so many times that if I really needed to, I could sing them myself.

Just my luck, I got to the hotel and the TVs are second gen LCDs. Sure, they have USB ports, but they would not play videos. Thank goodness I brought several HDMI devices to be able to handle multiple independent screens, but since I couldn't sync the audio on independent TVs, I had to come up with something else. Their audio system was a 1/8 stereo jack in the wall (I did have cables though), but didn't work worth a s**t, and only played on one side of the room. So I used my phone to play the videos (for the audio) through a bluetooth speaker in the center of the room, and used my wife and another family member to simultaneously start the videos on each laptop to display on the screens in each half of the room.

It was hokey, but it worked. I spent so much time trying to figure out all of the little things that were going to cause me problems that I never did find the time to dye my hair red to pay homage to the great lady that I was doing this all for. All the better I suppose, because I don't have enough hair to color and I would have wound up with red skin instead anyway.

Thanks for letting me vent, to those of you who actually read all of this. Thank you to my wife and her parents for listening to me curse and disappear into my room in the basement for hours at a time for several days to make it happen, and of course thank you to Margaret - Thank you for letting me be a part of your life. May the fourth be with you, always.
View attachment 26338

Awwwwwww... you're a good nephew Jord. Hope your sleep patterns get better soon man.

Just in case you want or need, the original thread is here... What Did U Do 2day ?

Reactions: YFCvii
Lack of sleep is really tough to work through. Tonight will be your night to recover Jordy.

Good for you for keeping at the tribute. Can't make everyone happy, you did your best and that is what matters.

We had the graveside service for my mother today. Hard to say goodbye.
Sorry for your loss Murray. Yes.It is hard. Condolences my friend.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Jeremiad , you did a great job, many do not know what it takes, the pressure is on and it just has to get done , not because of money , but it comes from the heart and family or friends need help. Been there a few times .

Murray , sorry to hear of your mothers passing . I just lost my dad not long ago and it is not easy to say goodbye like you say. Last saturday was my uncle's memorial , he was a gunner in WW2 . Yesterday and 2day were funerals for 2 sisters , old neighbors of mine who passed away 2 days apart . Talk about everything happening at once.

Thursday is my usual day to go to town and have coffee with old friends at the local mall food court. All were present and accounted for. I am almost 76 and I am the kid in the group. Great folk, just getting out of the house to have a life with friends. We always have lots of laughs. That is what life is all about.

Today I toasted an old high school friend who bravely fought MS and finally succumbed. I poured two bourbons and sat on the deck remembering our high school antics in Saskatoon in the late 70’s. This one hit me hard when I got the email today. We thought we were immortal but the bastard Father Time waits for no man. Victor, may you rest finally pain free and in peace.

“Do not go gentle into that good night. Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

Thursday is my usual day to go to town and have coffee with old friends at the local mall food court. All were present and accounted for. I am almost 76 and I am the kid in the group. Great folk, just getting out of the house to have a life with friends. We always have lots of laughs. That is what life is all about.

Like Keith, I love to meet with my friends. Every Tues and Thur I go Calabria Bar at 10am on Commercial Drive (Little Italy), have an espresso (at times a little decadent treat) and meet with my first group of friends. After 90mins or so I then head to East End Billiards play some Briscola, another coffee, and hook up with group #2. Completely different buddies but strong ties within both groups ranging from 20 to 40 years ...... Love Tues and Thurs, and as Keith said, always laughs and a good time!! Unfortunately, we did lose a couple over the past 5years ....... Im sure they are looking down, (or up) and checking in. RIP

Today I toasted an old high school friend who bravely fought MS and finally succumbed. I poured two bourbons and sat on the deck remembering our high school antics in Saskatoon in the late 70’s. This one hit me hard when I got the email today. We thought we were immortal but the bastard Father Time waits for no man. Victor, may you rest finally pain free and in peace.

“Do not go gentle into that good night. Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”
Sorry for your loss Al. It's often a tougher road for us that are left behind than those who are at peace now. At this point in life we all seem to be losing friends that have been close to us. Doesn't seem fair but for me it has allowed me to live my life differently, knowing none of us are the immortal we thought when we were young. May they all rest in peace and may we smile and remember the good times we had together with them.

Like Keith, I love to meet with my friends. Every Tues and Thur I go Calabria Bar at 10am on Commercial Drive (Little Italy), have an espresso (at times a little decadent treat) and meet with my first group of friends. After 90mins or so I then head to East End Billiards play some Briscola, another coffee, and hook up with group #2. Completely different buddies but strong ties within both groups ranging from 20 to 40 years ...... Love Tues and Thurs, and as Keith said, always laughs and a good time!! Unfortunately, we did lose a couple over the past 5years ....... Im sure they are looking down, (or up) and checking in. RIP
Just on our street a while back, a 60 year old lady just died in her sleep with no warning. Another neighbour down from that is in end stages of Parkinsons. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. We had a daughter-in-law die from cancer when she was just 30. If you are past 60 and still healthy then be ever thankful. A lot never get this far. I try to do something every day, even if it is just a walk down the street and back. My real social time is when the old car cruise nights start up again. We car guys are worse than any old women when it comes to chatting.

Sorry for your loss Al. It's often a tougher road for us that are left behind than those who are at peace now. At this point in life we all seem to be losing friends that have been close to us. Doesn't seem fair but for me it has allowed me to live my life differently, knowing none of us are the immortal we thought when we were young. May they all rest in peace and may we smile and remember the good times we had together with them.
I am reminded of this often. Currently dealing with aging parents and as I look at my father I wonder where did the time go. Used to be one of the sharpest people I know and now he sounds like Biden. I remember him through the lens of my childhood but my memories and current reality are in stark contrast. I look back and regret the stupid things I said and the fights we had, that were late teen/early 20’s testosterone fuelled, the lack of attention I paid to his life when I was busy raising a family and trying to start a career. Essentially my own “Cat’s in the Cradle” story.

We learn to little, to late.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.