I live in Northwestern Ontario. I would love it if these politicians actually drove out here instead of flying and realized the distance and the paucity of electric charging stations. I'm not sure what it's like out west. It's already a 14-15 hour drive to Toronto or Ottawa for me. Can't imagine adding another few hours for charging along the way. Now, if they had a 1000km or more battery that didn't cost an arm and a leg, then I would think more favourably.

while India and China screw the rest.
What do you think?
Trudeau‘s carbon tax is just another way for his government to reach into our pockets. Don’t be fooled. Can you imagine all the government bureaucracy required to administer this tax and then give it back to Canadians as he says he will do! What a waste of money! Typical government inefficiency! No common sense. If we want Canadians to go to electric cars, just put a higher tax on the purchase cost of fossil fuel vehicles, and lower the tax on the purchase price of electric vehicles. It’s simple, doesn’t require a whole bunch of expensive government employees to administer, and the lower tax incentive makes the electric car purchase more appealing to consumers. Use some of that tax money to encourage service stations to develop a country wide charging network. And make sure none of the parts of those cars and equipment comes from China!

Trudeau‘s carbon tax is just another way for his government to reach into our pockets. Don’t be fooled. Can you imagine all the government bureaucracy required to administer this tax and then give it back to Canadians as he says he will do! What a waste of money! Typical government inefficiency! No common sense. If we want Canadians to go to electric cars, just put a higher tax on the purchase cost of fossil fuel vehicles, and lower the tax on the purchase price of electric vehicles. It’s simple, doesn’t require a whole bunch of expensive government employees to administer, and the lower tax incentive makes the electric car purchase more appealing to consumers. Use some of that tax money to encourage service stations to develop a country wide charging network. And make sure none of the parts of those cars and equipment comes from China!
Governments have to look after themselves. If it wasn't for government there would be very little bureaucracy - and wasted monies. Unfortunately the proverbial middle class gets to feel the long fingers of which ever government is in power reaching in to their pockets.
As far as i am concerned any of the political parties are quite adept at spending our monies.

A tax on carbon is just one more way for Trudeau and his cronies to redistribute wealth in Canada. Tax it at consumption and then give it back. But people who are well off will pay more because they consume more and the rebate will not cover their costs. Commerce, industry and transport will pay more and pass on the cost to us poor sap consumers. Over time the rebates will be reduced or remain unindexed to inflation.
Carbon is life; we are made of it and exhale CO2 with every breath as does every mammal on earth. Vegetation consumes it and gives us oxygen in return. That is a well designed ecosystem. Carbon is an element of nature but Trudeau will tax it in the name of pollution.

When will I learn not to post what others might not agree with.
I deleted my comment ...

The OP attachment is political ... this is not fair at all on here. :Rage:

Last edited:
When will I learn not to post what others might not agree with.
I deleted my comment ...

The OP attachment is political ... this is not fair at all on here. :Rage:
A good, clean debate about the topic at hand is never a bad thing and should be encouraged. It’s when people feel threatened and start making personal attacks which is unacceptable. So dar I didn’t see anything like that at all.

A good, clean debate about the topic at hand is never a bad thing and should be encouraged. It’s when people feel threatened and start making personal attacks which is unacceptable. So dar I didn’t see anything like that at all.
Just about anything with political undertones leads to hard held opinions.
While I agree with you that the topic is conducive to discussion it more than most likely would lead to hard held opinions rather than a mild mannered discussion/debate
I think what is missing is a few beer so we can savour the company as much as the topic

Reactions: Vanguard2001
Healthy debate with reasoned arguments on either side of an issue is thought proving and forces critical thinking. Maybe I change positions, maybe I modify my position, or maybe keep my position, but regardless respecting the other side’s perspective and agreeing to disagree.

Warning, not read the article but seen the subject a few times :)

I'd love to see a healthy debate on this topic without resorting to calling Liberals/NDP-ers? thieves and Conservatives gun totting nazi worshippers. Please try. It's possible.

My view, electrification is happening, we cannot change that, oil and energy companies are very heavily invested in it and have been for decades, it's not something that's a fad that will pass. All car companies have or should have plans to phase out ICE eventually. Battery tech is still behind but that will change and is changing. It's an engineering, economic and cultural challenge, I think engineering is catching up fast, rest will eventually follow. It would be fantastic to see this country spearhead the insane amounts of money that will be invested in this sector in the upcoming decades. It does mean we need to transition certain industries but the writing has been on the wall here for a while. The 'ban' I hope is just a click baity headliners, there is a real debate about how to best embrace this change mind you.

Long live the V8.... Alas I can see the end so enjoy it while it lasts. :oops:

P.S. Don't underestimate China, ever. Thanks to authoritarian practices they can pivot in years what would take the west decades to accomplish. They are already the if not one of the largest investor in renewables, they know that's where industry is heading.

PPS I am wrong often.

Last edited:
Thieves and Nazis? Damn I was going to stay out of this thread but just cannot do it. So I offer this. Is this not the cutest dog you have ever seen?

3 2 1-1.jpg

I will be OK to buy two electric cars and put them in two garages.
One in YYC and one in YEG ... if and only if the politics can build an Electric Bullit Train for in between.

Last edited:
Electric is coming whether or not we like it.
I get the diesel rags every month and the rush to electric, hydrogen, methane, LNG, etc is just picking up steam. All the big names are there, Oil companies pivoting to "green" energy. engine manufactures going "green" in one way or another, vehicle manufactures offering more and more electrified vehicles. Even marine applications are looking to methane and hydrogen.
Methane and LNG are still carbon based so they are more a stop gap measure until other technologies catch up.
So enjoy the sound of our Corvettes for the time we have. Or you can buy a sound system for that ICE exhaust tone if you buy an EV. YES, it is available for between $1K - $1.5K dep ending on how loud you want it. And programable for the type of engine,
They still have a ways to go for the long haul heavy transports though. So oil is going to be around for quite some time

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread