Bilal388

Casual User
Nov 16, 2017
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Stingray
I am looking for some insight if anyone has had similar issues.

My new '17 stingray seems to be having engine misfire issues. I encountered it for the first time around the end of April and took it to the dealer who replaced the spark plug that went out in cylinder 4. While my car was misfiring, I was having some sort of leak into the exhaust that would create a big puff of smoke as soon as I would accelerate at times.

Skip forward to after getting it fixed the first time, I could still see smoke coming out the exhaust at times so I knew the exact problem would happen again. Just about 4-5 days later I got another engine misfire issue. This time they replaced a spark plug in cylinder 1. I picked up the car but I am pretty certain that this spark plug issue is just the affect of a cause they cant seem to find since there still is a leak in the exhaust. I have told this to the dealer but they seem to think its not going to happen again.

Actually, I went to another dealer and talked to a mechanic there and he told me the exact opposite of my servicing dealer. One of them is saying that this puff of smoke is normal while one is saying that its not normal. The amount of smoke is good enough to blind the driver behind me if that makes it any clearer.

How should I go about this if the misfire issue comes up a third time?

Furthermore, I also have this really loud noise when I cold start the car and it doesn't go away until it fully warms up and the car is driven for around 10-minutes. I brought this under the dealers attention and they replaced a bolt in the drive support assembly under the guidance of GM engineers. However, that did not fix the issue. It just quietened the noise a bit but its still there. They have now ordered a drive shaft from GM and will be replacing that this week under the guidance of GM engineers. However, they have told me that even this might not fix it.

I am not sure if the issues are connected but its quite annoying to keep taking the car back to the dealership. Especially a car which has less than 7500KMs on it.

I am located in Toronto

Reactions: printing89
Well, that sucks to hear. This is the first time I have heard something like this and am sorry to hear you've had such frustrating problems with your Corvette. I hope someone can chime into what the smoke could be under acceleration. It definitely does not sound like something normal, or all owners would be stating the same thing.

I'm not a mechanic, but have a couple questions. How long does the smoke last for? Is it right when you hit the throttle and then it goes away, or does it smoke for the entire time you are accelerating? Does the smoke happen only when the car is cold, or does it happen also when it's fully warmed up (this helps us to know if the computer is in closed loop mode or open loop mode). Is the smoke white, or blue in colour?

Is the loud noise an ticking or knocking noise or a steady noise when the car is cold? Is your car a manual or automatic? Base model or Z51?

If the problem persists after this next visit, I would get in contact with GM Canada and bring up these issues. I don't have the contact information for GM Canada but imagine it's searchable on Google or we could find it if needed.

Hopefully the problems get repaired soon so you can enjoy your car!

As the old saying goes, where there is smoke, there is fire. You have a problem that they are missing. These engines do not smoke if working properly. In fact, ours with 100K km, is so tight that it uses hardly any oil at all between oil changes. I have never had an engine like it. My old big block cars wouldn't get a thousand miles to the quart of oil. I'd be contacting GM of Canada to get action.

Well, that sucks to hear. This is the first time I have heard something like this and am sorry to hear you've had such frustrating problems with your Corvette. I hope someone can chime into what the smoke could be under acceleration. It definitely does not sound like something normal, or all owners would be stating the same thing.

I'm not a mechanic, but have a couple questions. How long does the smoke last for? Is it right when you hit the throttle and then it goes away, or does it smoke for the entire time you are accelerating? Does the smoke happen only when the car is cold, or does it happen also when it's fully warmed up (this helps us to know if the computer is in closed loop mode or open loop mode). Is the smoke white, or blue in colour?

Is the loud noise an ticking or knocking noise or a steady noise when the car is cold? Is your car a manual or automatic? Base model or Z51?

If the problem persists after this next visit, I would get in contact with GM Canada and bring up these issues. I don't have the contact information for GM Canada but imagine it's searchable on Google or we could find it if needed.

The smoke happens when I would be cruising, for example, in lower gears and suddenly accelerate. It looks like I have a build up in my exhaust area over time so when i accelerate.. I see a big puff of smoke. It doesnt last through the whole acceleration period though. The smoke is white. I have a dash cam at home which I will install in my car and record this today.

The noise was a loud constant screeching noise. Its hard to explain but it would sound like two things rubbing together. It would go away after cold start but I would still here it intermittently if I come to a stop and then start moving again or while taking a turn etc. After replacing the bolt, the noise has died down a bit but its still heard at time in the aforementioned scenarios. My car is an automatic and a non Z51

There is something seriously wrong with your car man.
If your dealer doesn’t jump in and recognize and resolve this be both worried and very annoyed. Complain bitterly to GM and get to another dealer (not in the same auto group) asap.
This is a new car and none of this should be happening.

Let us know how you do with this.

D

I am looking for some insight if anyone has had similar issues.

My new '17 stingray seems to be having engine misfire issues. I encountered it for the first time around the end of April and took it to the dealer who replaced the spark plug that went out in cylinder 4. While my car was misfiring, I was having some sort of leak into the exhaust that would create a big puff of smoke as soon as I would accelerate at times.

Skip forward to after getting it fixed the first time, I could still see smoke coming out the exhaust at times so I knew the exact problem would happen again. Just about 4-5 days later I got another engine misfire issue. This time they replaced a spark plug in cylinder 1. I picked up the car but I am pretty certain that this spark plug issue is just the affect of a cause they cant seem to find since there still is a leak in the exhaust. I have told this to the dealer but they seem to think its not going to happen again.

Actually, I went to another dealer and talked to a mechanic there and he told me the exact opposite of my servicing dealer. One of them is saying that this puff of smoke is normal while one is saying that its not normal. The amount of smoke is good enough to blind the driver behind me if that makes it any clearer.

How should I go about this if the misfire issue comes up a third time?

Furthermore, I also have this really loud noise when I cold start the car and it doesn't go away until it fully warms up and the car is driven for around 10-minutes. I brought this under the dealers attention and they replaced a bolt in the drive support assembly under the guidance of GM engineers. However, that did not fix the issue. It just quietened the noise a bit but its still there. They have now ordered a drive shaft from GM and will be replacing that this week under the guidance of GM engineers. However, they have told me that even this might not fix it.

I am not sure if the issues are connected but its quite annoying to keep taking the car back to the dealership. Especially a car which has less than 7500KMs on it.

I am located in Toronto

I would definitely bring the car to a good performance shop. I have a 2015 Z51 that is currently misfiring and I had the plugs replaced and now with an engine check light on I'm told that its likely injectors but I was pushing out a bunch of black smoke. The funny thing was that the dealership much like your experience really had no idea what was going on so I moved on to a performance shop who seems to have the issue figured out as there the ones that diagnosed the injector issue. With white smoke if the car is warmed up and still producing a bunch of white smoke than its not steam and it could be a head gasket problem or cracked cylinder so a much bigger problem. I think the lesson learned here is that these cars are not the most reliable and have their issues. I've been actually told by a highly recognized performance shop that they don't recommend I replace my injectors with the acdelco ones (stock) because they really don't consider them that great and are starting to see more and more of the C7's come in with same issue. My advice is if you have a local performance shop maybe get them to take a look at it as I do find the dealership techs a bit on the weaker side when it comes to troubleshooting issues.

Keep us posted as I would be interested to hear what the cause was.

Reactions: dankhts
Record all the start up symptoms and have a passenger record the smoke while driving issue. That way you can show the dealership and also have record of it.

Which dealership are you currently taking your car to?

Record all the start up symptoms and have a passenger record the smoke while driving issue. That way you can show the dealership and also have record of it.

Which dealership are you currently taking your car to?
i have a 2017 corvette stringray, it is doing the same thing, smoke sometime when accelerate, it is at dealship as we speak

I h

The leak in the exhaust could have caused a fuel/air mix ratio making it burn rich, also could be the coils but that usually set a engine light on the dash. dirty air filter may be causing air/fuel mix unbalance, O2 sensor going out maybe? Also how many miles? I hear direct injection cars build deposit, maybe an italian tune up (redlining it) would help? Black smoke is "usually" running rich, grey smoke usually head gasket. What colour is the smoke. Cheers!

One last note, my dad had a Jeep that sat outside for like 5 months without starting, during the first month it would burn this huge puff of white smoke, it was condensation in the oil, look under your oil cap and see if its whitish :canada:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread