Apr 3, 2017
toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Corvette Z06
Hi All,

Whenever I turn the steering feel fully in the car (usually in parking lots), I get this weird ticking noise as if the tires are rubbing against something. Is this normal? I took a video last night:

A bit of wheel hop is normal when the wheels are turned near or fully at slow speed due to your factory alignment set up.
Especially in reverse I found. All 3 of my Zs have done this. There is lots of good threads in this with amazingly detailed explanations and diagrams.
I couldn't play your vid Karam but it's likely that if you say it seems your tires are rubbing.

Your all good I think.

D

Hi All,

Whenever I turn the steering feel fully in the car (usually in parking lots), I get this weird ticking noise as if the tires are rubbing against something. Is this normal? I took a video last night:

Not sure what that noise is Karam... That's not the tire chatter noise that I have... . Mine is more like putting my truck in 4 Wheel Low and turning sharp... more of a chunk-chunk than a tick tick...Some have said on the Vette that it's due to the positive camber the front end is set up for, but to extend my tire life, I have my camber backed off to nearly zero and mine still does it...

Reactions: ddgermann and Karam
Not sure what that noise is Karam... That's not the tire chatter noise that I have... . Mine is more like putting my truck in 4 Wheel Low and turning sharp... more of a chunk-chunk than a tick tick...Some have said on the Vette that it's due to the positive camber the front end is set up for, but to extend my tire life, I have my camber backed off to nearly zero and mine still does it...

I did change my camber to, -.3 instead of -1.0 , way more civilize to drive but still make the noise when I do a sharp turn very slowly, normal because of the size and grip of the tires,I found a fix, go faster :)

Going faster works Stephane....Another way is try slowly turning the wheel towards the direction you wish to go and at about the mid point of the turn, light up the rear tires....This method, while getting you through the turn faster, does tend to increase rear tire wear ... And although you may still have to push your car someday Karam, this method would also eliminate your concern over camber and balance.... :cool:

tumblr_nwwjemUfm91rpdptuo1_500.gif

Karam, can you pull the front wheels off to have a look to see if anything is rubbing in the wheel well? I know it is not the same car but my C5 has some duct work and other bits and pieces that come very close to the tire/wheel. Wonder if something has moved and is catching on something. Would think it would be easily seen.

Say, just a thought you didn't put a baseball card in the wheel with a clothes pin did you?:Biggrin: This is where the younger guys are saying what is he rambling on about now!

Reactions: ddgermann
Hi All,

Google and read about the Ackermann effect on the C7. I have the same thing.

Bought my C7 in July 2016 and noticed this in September.
Mentioned to the GM garage and they said it was normal. The tires will "skip" on the pavement when they and the pavement are cool. It was very noticeable pulling out of a parking space late at night. So basically the tires will "skip" on the pavement when they and the pavement are cool.

Karam I finally was able to play the video. The acoustics in an underground garage are pretty wild but the sound is not what I was expecting. I would get it checked out.
Derek.

Thanks a lot everyone. Just came across this lol:

2014 - 2017 Corvette: Service Bulletin: Clicking Noise from Front and/or Rear Wheels - (Aug 23, 2016)

Looks like it's common and the only fix is a temporary fix.

"Interaction" huh...
Cleaning the surfaces to remove the residual black stuff from the reaction of dissimilar metals in contact is what I think that very politically worded bulletin was trying to get across. :cool: You know what the black stuff is...

Yes temporary fix at best.
Let us know if it works Karam.

Mine has been in for this and was a temporary fix around 2000km ago. They cleaned the backside of wheel and it fixed it briefly. It's doing it again. Do it as many times as I can under warranty until they start charging me to maintain their flaws 😂

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.