Jul 1, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1994 Convertible
Province
NL
I think whoever replaced the weatherstrip on my Vette previously had a glue fetish. The a-pillar/header was a nightmare. Took me 3 hours to get the old glue out. It was everywhere.

Tonight I started the convertible top. Here are the side rails, now bathing in goo-gone.

I started scraping the left one. It looked just as bad as the right (reversed in pic).
20190817_185815_resized.jpg
20190817_185831_resized.jpg
20190817_191855_resized.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ddgermann
I think whoever replaced the weatherstrip on my Vette previously had a glue fetish. The a-pillar/header was a nightmare. Took me 3 hours to get the old glue out. It was everywhere.

Tonight I started the convertible top. Here are the side rails, now bathing in goo-gone.

I started scraping the left one. It looked just as bad as the right (reversed in pic).View attachment 30380View attachment 30381View attachment 30382
That is never a fun job, worse when some bubba used contact cement prior. Great job so far, the results will be worth it. If you can find it, purchase the black weatherstrip glue.

• Useful
Well, the other rails were even worse! Done now though.

I will say I'm not overjoyed about the fitment of the weatherstripping kit I got from Corvette Central. The vertical pieces are a bit too short. I can stretch them to fit I suppose, but I shouldn't have to. It'll do for now. Certainly better than the old ones, especially now that they're properly installed!

I suspect I'll be replacing them again in a couple years, but at least it won't be a nightmare job.

BTW, with stripped and missing screws, and missing push fasteners it was extra special fun!

Gotta love it when “bubba” gets ahold of a complete machine and proceeds to just jackass it all sideways.

I’ve never understood why people can’t just leave it alone if they can’t do it right. If you can’t afford to fix it right when it breaks, you can’t afford to buy it in the first place.

One of the saving graces for my 88 (besides the fact that it was lucky enough to find it’s way to me) is that I’ve been saving bits and pieces from junked gm vehicles over the last couple decades in my parts bins. I’ve lost track of how many wood screws and other strange bits I’ve replaced with the proper screws, clips nuts and any other manner of orginal GM bits. I love my province, but I can’t stand the prevailing “duct tape and wd40 will fix anything” attitude that permeates the culture here. Tape it, goop it or otherwise just slap it together so it works a little longer or so we can flog it off on someone else.

Ugh.

At least when you are done, you will know it’s done right.

Last edited:
Rolls Royce.
Gotta love it when “bubba” gets ahold of a complete machine and proceeds to just jackass it all sideways

I love my province, but I can’t stand the prevailing “duct tape and wd40 will fix anything” attitude that permeates the culture here. Tape it, goop it or otherwise just slap it together so it works a little longer or so we can flog it off on someone else.

Ugh.

At least when you are done, you will know it’s done right.

Awwwwww.... Sweet memories of home... 40 years ago..! :)

Well, I'm not gonna claim perfection or even how "right" it all is! I've had to improvise thanks to all the stripped screw holes and missing fasteners. In other spots missing screws and pins had a ton of plastic cement instead. I'm trying to keep it as kosher as I can, but I'm sure some future owner might do some headshaking also. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread