Has anybody used waterless coolant in their car?

I use Evans Waterless in my H1. It is awesome as it has a boiling point of over 300C which significantly reduces cavitation risk and damage. Never considered it for the Corvette yet. Cars under warranty so... likely that would void it as the cooling system has to be modified to operate at 0 psi for Evans waterless.
It is pricey and a hell of a process flushing and preparing the system before putting in the coolant fill. My H1 was around $1500 by the time the system flushed and hoses/belts changed and coolant installed. You have to carry some with you just in case as it cannot be mixed with water or any other coolant and it's not readily available at gas stations or auto parts stores. so you want to change all your hoses and belts before you put it in to avoid a failure that dumps the coolant.
If you are racing your car and need this extra range on your cooling system it's totally worth it. As a daily driver car with no serious track time it frankly just an expensive headache as above.
I use in the H1 which is well known as having a marginal cooling system in the turbocharged 6.5s. I pull a trailer through the mountains so it suits my needs. Otherwise in would not have put it in for just blasting around with no big load on the engine.
Hope this helps.

Derek

I was reading on Evans website. Just sent them an email, the LS9 supercharger cooling bricks are prone to melt under hard driving. I dont race the car, just crusing but would like to proteck the supercharger system a little more. I know some guys put only water and water wetter is the supercharger, I dont see a lot of corrosion protection in this recipe.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I was reading on Evans website. Just sent them an email, the LS9 supercharger cooling bricks are prone to melt under hard driving. I dont race the car, just crusing but would like to proteck the supercharger system a little more. I know some guys put only water and water wetter is the supercharger, I dont see a lot of corrosion protection in this recipe.

I don't remember the discussion on corrosion as it was some time ago. Using it in only your aux cooling circuit is an interesting idea. Never considered that as Hummer does not have an intercooler from the factory. Although I did install and air to air system. A good place to research Evans coolant is the Hummer and other diesel forums. This stuff is widely used in Hummer's and other diesel trucks. The threads are easy to spot and there is a great deal of links and experienced discussions. Worth checking out if you are seriously considering it. Anyone racing can likely just ask a track buddy and be fully informed in minutes. Haha.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: theboss
Well, seem that I will have to stick with OEM fluid for my supercharger. Her is what I can call an honest answer from Evans to the e-mail I sent about using their product

Question :
Hi. My car is a2012 Corvette ZR1 with the oem liquid cool supercharger. Many LS9 had problems when drove hard, the cooling bricks in the supercharger tend to melt because of hot compress air. Should switching the oem coolant in the supercharger to Evans coolant can help reduce the heat in it? Have you had any feedback about it? Only other alternative I know about is only water with water wetter. Don’t want to do any mistake so better ask qualified peoples.

Thanks Stephane

Answer:
Stephane:
The Corvette supercharger application is a problem that Evans cannot solve. We do not use our fluid in the supercharger of our 2016 ZO6 LT4 test car because of the problems associated with this application. The OEM fluid is a good start I believe it is 60% water, 100% water would be better but corrosion will be a problem.
The engine is where Evans High Performance Coolant works better than the OEM fluid. Evans High Performance Coolant is designed for the engine because of the coolant boiling in the combustion chamber location. In normal conditions under high load the supercharger is not boiling the coolant.

Thank you

Tech support

I do like peoples who will give a straith answer even if they will loose the sale.

"Well, seem that I will have to stick with OEM fluid for my supercharger. Her is what I can call an honest answer from Evans to the e-mail I sent about using their product

Question :
Hi. My car is a2012 Corvette ZR1 with the oem liquid cool supercharger. Many LS9 had problems when drove hard, the cooling bricks in the supercharger tend to melt because of hot compress air. Should switching the oem coolant in the supercharger to Evans coolant can help reduce the heat in it? Have you had any feedback about it? Only other alternative I know about is only water with water wetter. Don’t want to do any mistake so better ask qualified peoples.

Thanks Stephane

Answer:
Stephane:
The Corvette supercharger application is a problem that Evans cannot solve. We do not use our fluid in the supercharger of our 2016 ZO6 LT4 test car because of the problems associated with this application. The OEM fluid is a good start I believe it is 60% water, 100% water would be better but corrosion will be a problem.
The engine is where Evans High Performance Coolant works better than the OEM fluid. Evans High Performance Coolant is designed for the engine because of the coolant boiling in the combustion chamber location. In normal conditions under high load the supercharger is not boiling the coolant.

Thank you

Tech support

I do like peoples who will give a straith answer even if they will loose the sale."

Evans has a very good reputation and clearly we can see why. Very cool they are already testing in this application with a supercharged Corvette and tell it like it is. Hope you find cooling medium for your ZR1 that leaves you confident to press that beast without $$$ worries hampering the experience man.

Great post Stephane :thumbs:
Derek

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.