Peter Szarka

Casual User
You're 5
Nov 6, 2014
Langley, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Stingray Z51
I am a new member and love reading about all the Corvette knowledge out there that I clearly don't have. I was looking for advice on cleaning out water spots. Lots of local detailers and auto body shops seem at a loss as to how to accomplish this. I took 80% of it off with vinegar but can't do any better. I am told the calcium is probably etched into the clearcoat a bit. This happened after my first wash and I have since installed a water de-ionizer which works wonders. I was hoping to find a method that is less abrasive than claying or polishing ? Any advice would be great as I would like to get it 100% clean car before I wrap it. Thanks in advance for any help.
In love with my new and first vette !
Peter Szarka

Minerals in the water are probably your problem. We are on a well and as long as the water softener is doing its job, no water spots. Not a good idea to wash in direct sunlight either.
Thanks Keith. It certainly is a problem here in Fort Langley. I am still trying to correct my first faux pas. I bought a TDS meter that put my water at 185 but after the filter it is fine now ( at 40 ). Looks like a firmer polish is in order.

Hi Peter! Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately.....or is that fortunately, I have no had to deal with water spots that don't just wash off. Let us know what process you use to get rid of them if it involves having to use a finishing polish or claying the car as others may run into this in the future.

Hi Peter! Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately.....or is that fortunately, I have no had to deal with water spots that don't just wash off. Let us know what process you use to get rid of them if it involves having to use a finishing polish or claying the car as others may run into this in the future.
Hello Riley,
I have it booked in at a reputable guy ( not until July 27 ) who seems solidly booked well ahead all the time. He is using a stronger polish, then a protectant ( lasts a year or so ). We did a test area and it was tough but looks perfect. When it's done I will follow up with the type of pad and polish for sure. BTW, has anybody had good success with Chadwick's Triple Play for on-going regular clean and shine ?
Cheers

Once I use up the various polishers, waxers and other stuff I stupidly purchased in the hope of having a shiny car, I'm going to try Adam's water activated product. At least this way the water spots will be shiny clean ... I hope.:canada:

Thanks for the update Peter. Looking forward to reading the results!
In regards to tyho, as for polishes, I've heard great things about Adam's products. I hope to also restore the paint on my car using Rejex. I'll post up a question in another thread as to not derail this one.

Hello Riley,
Just following up after the job was done. Here is what they did in pt. form : Car was treated with Carpro Spotless to try a non-aggressive approach - it is gently massaged in and rinsed with clear water after. This only removed 50 % - then used a Meguiars microfiber cutting disc with Meguiars 101 on a Rupes 21 polisher. Further cleaning needed the same pad with a Griots DA on a 4" pad. All the stains came off and the car was treated with Carpro Reflect on a Rupes finishing pad with the Griots DA. Car was then wiped down with an IPA mixture to remove any leftover polish residue and Americana Americoat was applied for a long lasting protectant. I then had the clear wrap ( Xpel ) put on the bumper, door sills and rear spoiler. An incredibly deep shine without the slightest mark of any kind was the result. It truly is far better than new. I am now satisfied that I can keep it shiny and add a thicker and deeper shine each time I now clean it with the waterless cleaner Chadwicks Triple Play. After all the products and dozens of opinions from a dozen people, my head was spinning thinking I now have to invest 10 hrs a week in keeping the car clean and protected. I have finally arrived at that magic " low maintenance " point in keeping the car in top condition. I am not a techie, but I will try and load up a few pictures. I don't really know if these pictures will do it justice though - let me know. Cheers, Peter

Attachments

• Corvette Shine 1.JPG
    Corvette Shine 1.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Corvette Shine 2.JPG
    Corvette Shine 2.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Corvette Shine 3.JPG
    Corvette Shine 3.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Corvette Shine 4.JPG
    Corvette Shine 4.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: LSXtasy
Wow, have I dropped the ball on this thread. Thank you very much for writing up your results and what was required to get rid of the water spots. That is quite the process but happy to hear the results were beyond expected. The shine really does look good on the car and it'll stay that way with the Xpel. I love the idea of low maintenance shine!

I had a very severe problem with water spots on my rear glass (all glass actually) Tried vinegar, CLR, chrome polish, toothpaste, Griots glass polish (with 3" polisher) razor blade, SOS pads with zero results! Ordered a bottle of MDR - mineral deposit remover from eshine. It's a gel so it clings. Used my 3" polisher & 2 hours later all glass was free of water spots (mineral deposits) Also can be used on paint. Was $40 but sure did the job. Now have a lifetime supply!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.