Aug 14, 2019
Chatham Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2000 FRC
Province
ON
My dad has always told me its more fun looking for the car then actually buying the car. Im going to listen to him and wait for a Black on black coupe, manual with z51 package this winter for the right price. I keep checking the forums for cars, as well as Kijiji and auto trader.

Reactions: Creedence85
My dad has always told me its more fun looking for the car then actually buying the car. Im going to listen to him and wait for a Black on black coupe, manual with z51 package this winter for the right price. I keep checking the forums for cars, as well as Kijiji and auto trader.

I can’t imagine your dad drove a corvette then. Looking is agonizing compared to buying and driving one 🤣

Good luck with your search. Good advice above. ☝️ Do your research and get the one you want.
Then.... enjoy.

He enjoys the chase more then owning the car. He has had over 50 corvettes at this point and owns a 1979 and a 2015. I drive both of them more then he does. But its fun to negotiate and to make sure (mentally) you did everything you could to get the best one.

He had tons of c5's while I was growing up

Reactions: LE BARON
Buy a Corvette to call your own and enjoy in the meantime.
It appears your hunt for the ideal one may take a while.
This way you are continuing that hunt in a Corvette,
hard to say what would beat that.

Best of Good Fortune on the venture ...

Reactions: LE BARON
As someone who buys cars for a living, I would add caution. If your dad is honest, his strongest memories are of the ones that got away. Just know your market, and be prepared to say yes without batting an eye. You don't need to negotiate every last penny. People, I should say everyone who looks for a deal can get momentarily paralysed by fear of making a mistake and paying too much. Have fun and good luck

You could just buy my C5 OP, lol!....of course I’m kidding...only a little;)

For me, the buying process is by the worst part. I hate trying to find a nice car. Lots of way over priced junk out there.

When I was looking for a 11/12 GT 5.0 I found Mustangs to be by far the worst as far as being over priced. They still are, as I check weekly.
I also hate dealing with excuse my language %^#hole sellers. The ones who are either not serious about selling, take terrible pictures or say the car is in excellent condition and when I drive an hour to see the car it’s a complete piece of crap.

Comes with the territory I guess for both sellers and buyers. I think the key is to find reasonable people who have a common goal....one wants to sell the car and the other wants to buy it. I have met some really nice people, both sellers and buyers in my many experiences and I have found those transactions to be by far the easiest and smoothest. Both parties sharing one common goal.

Anyway, my rambling is over, lol!

Last edited:
You could just my C5 OP, lol!....of course I’m kidding...only a little;)

For me, the buying process is by the worst part. I hate trying to find a nice car. Lots of way over priced junk out there.

When I was looking for a 11/12 GT 5.0 I found Mustangs to be by far the worst as far as being over priced. They still are, as I check weekly.
I also hate dealing with excuse my language %^#hole sellers. The ones who are either not serious about selling, take terrible pictures or say the car is in excellent condition and when I drive an hour to see the car it’s a complete piece of crap.

Comes with the territory I guess for both sellers and buyers. I think the key is to find reasonable people who have a common goal....one wants to sell the car and the other wants to buy it. I have met some really nice people, both sellers and buyers in my many experiences and I have found those transactions to be by far the easiest and smoothest. Both parties sharing one common goal.

Anyway, my rambling is over, lol!

Sums it up really good actually. The guy I bought my first Z from turned into a friend. His car was mint as advertised and he was clearly in love with it but has back problems. Basically interviewed me as a buyer. Took me for a hair raising ride and offered it to me to drive. I declined and his smile got huge as he knew immediately I was not some arsehole looking to take a corvette for a drive. He realized I was well experienced with corvettes and figured I saw, heard, and felt everything I needed to with him pushing the car. Truth is I had never even sat in a corvette before and was scared $hitless. 😂 Told him that a month later over a beer when he delivered the spare set of tires that came with the car. Man did he laugh. I got really lucky that day. Best car buying experience I’ve ever had. I paid well for a perfectly fine car. No regrets.
The other ones you refer to.... well I’ll just leave it there as unfortunately it’s a true and pretty common story for many of us.

Reactions: rockitman
That's what I say about finding a wife! :)

But more seriously, it took me about a year to find my C6 and I'm glad I waited to find the right one than compromise, so if you can wait it's worth it. I had Craiglist, Autotrader, and Kijiji bookmarked with my search criteria and would check it regularly.

Well guys, I found my car, a 2000 FRC with 15,000 km on it. I held of msging the owner because he was asking $28,900. And thought it was out of my league. Decided to call him and went and saw the car. I made him an offer of 20,000 and he was at 24,000. Said goodbye and left it at that. Called him 2 days later and asked if he would split the difference. He agreed and I picked the car up the next day.

Attachments

• 49E7A0A1-F7E1-4C41-8C99-5E973855AD38.jpeg
    49E7A0A1-F7E1-4C41-8C99-5E973855AD38.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 0A25B413-6680-421F-9A52-43132E1E9B86.jpeg
    0A25B413-6680-421F-9A52-43132E1E9B86.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 39
  • F5F7DF2B-D116-4CA1-B14F-6E4928C11413.jpeg
    F5F7DF2B-D116-4CA1-B14F-6E4928C11413.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 38
  • DBDD00D4-DA60-43F3-91C5-F1EED4FB4E12.jpeg
    DBDD00D4-DA60-43F3-91C5-F1EED4FB4E12.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 38
Well guys, I found my car, a 2000 FRC with 15,000 km on it. I held of msging the owner because he was asking $28,900. And thought it was out of my league. Decided to call him and went and saw the car. I made him an offer of 20,000 and he was at 24,000. Said goodbye and left it at that. Called him 2 days later and asked if he would split the difference. He agreed and I picked the car up the next day.
That's a great price...I sold my 98 base C5 coupe a few months ago when I finally decided to order a C7 before they were gone...it was in nice shape but had 135,000 kms on it...I got $12.5K as is for it from a used dealer (he paid as much as the highest private offer I had on it) - he turned around and resold it (certified by then...figured it cost him $1K to get it sale ready) within a week for $16K. So $22K for a newer & rarer model with barely 10% of the mileage, is excellent. Enjoy your new ride!

The FRC is the least production Vette made. I was to be a bare bones car with a small engine, no features at all. Lucky they didn't go with that and the FRC made the body 12% stiffer and with no squeaks. With the Z51 standard and 345hp, its and very unique car.
This car paved the way to the Z06. If a C5 was on the menu, this was the one to buy. Great find.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.