Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
SL550 MB :-)
Province
ON
Hey Folks,

I am new here. G'day Everyone!

I have put some $$ down to hold one for me it is going towards the purchase price on a C8. This will be my first and last NEW car off the lot ever!!!

I was wondering if anyone has heard any news about when allotments were going to be released to the dealers as well as if and when we will be available to put in our orders.

From What I have been seeing online, the USofA orders will be going in this week to GM.

Hope everyone is well

Kevin in Ottawa

I would hope that dealers are not just taking orders willy-nilly hoping for their allotment to cover it.
Ask them how many they got allotted last year. Doubtful they would be allotted more this year, 2020. Then find out how many people have ordered. If that exceeds last years allotment then someone will be disappointed.

I would hope that dealers are not just taking orders willy-nilly hoping for their allotment to cover it.
Ask them how many they got allotted last year. Doubtful they would be allotted more this year, 2020. Then find out how many people have ordered. If that exceeds last years allotment then someone will be disappointed.
I woudln't doubt they are "overbooking", much like aircanada.......

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
Latest rumour on an undisclosed dealer East of Alberta has taken over 100 deposits to date....
Kind of dealer you want to eschew. If he is that dishonest to actually take deposits on a hundred 2020's without having a chance in hell to get that many it is downright unethical. Unless there are idiots literally berating him to be on a wait list just in case the 99 before cancel --doubtful

Kind of dealer you want to eschew. If he is that dishonest to actually take deposits on a hundred 2020's without having a chance in hell to get that many it is downright unethical. Unless there are idiots literally berating him to be on a wait list just in case the 99 before cancel --doubtful
I suppose it all depends on HOW that deal is made.

IF the dealer is up front and tells the customer that they are already over their allotment and IF the customer still wants to put down a deposit (refundable) to hold a spot on a wait list, then there's nothing wrong with that. It's above the board if everyone knows the reality of the situation when the deposit is taken. That way the customer knows up front it may not happen and they get their money back if it doesn't. While the customer may not be happy with not getting a 2020, at least everybody parts fiscally "undamaged" and the dealer retains the possibility of a future sale as they've demonstrated to the customer they are fair and honest to deal with.

If a customer puts down a deposit knowing the situation is nearly hopeless and that the deposit is stated as "non-refundable" should they not get a 2020 C8, then that's on the customer. That falls under the "can't fix stupid" and "the only thing about common sense is that it's not common" category....

But IF the dealer is just taking deposits and assuring customers they will get a 2020 when they ship.....well, that's a problem. Despite being morally and ethically wrong, it's potentially actionable in court (civil or potentially, criminal) if the dealer is intending to keep those deposits should they not be able to "deliver the goods"....

The potential caveat (and a weak argument at that) is IF the dealer reveals the deposit is "non-refundable" at the time it is taken, they may have somewhat of an "out" to being actioned for fraudulent practices. That might not hold up in a court if it can be proven they took the money knowing they would not be able to fill the contract the deposit creates.

Fun times and interesting to watch it all happen from the sidelines. Too much hype around this new 'Vette fro me to want to get anywhere near it. For purchasing purposes that is. GM is very carefully crafting an over hyped media circus in order to create a buying frenzy when the gate drops. I guess I can't blame them really, they're a corporation that sells vehicles. They need to make profit or they go under, so cleaver schemes to ensure sales is to be expected.

But heck, I wouldn't be a buyer if there wasn't this hype around the C8 release. Just too much money for (what would amount to for me) a "toy".....hell, 60G is too much for any car IMHO. Although...my 2016 F150 Lariat did list for almost 70G when we bought it (didn't pay anywhere near that though).

Last edited:
I suppose it all depends on HOW that deal is made.

IF the dealer is up front and tells the customer that they are already over their allotment and IF the customer still wants to put down a deposit (refundable) to hold a spot on a wait list, then there's nothing wrong with that. It's above the board if everyone knows the reality of the situation when the deposit is taken. That way the customer knows up front it may not happen and they get their money back if it doesn't. While the customer may not be happy with not getting a 2020, at least everybody parts fiscally "undamaged" and the dealer retains the possibility of a future sale as they've demonstrated to the customer they are fair and honest to deal with.

If a customer puts down a deposit knowing the situation is nearly hopeless and that the deposit is stated as "non-refundable" should they not get a 2020 C8, then that's on the customer. That falls under the "can't fix stupid" and "the only thing about common sense is that it's not common" category....

But IF the dealer is just taking deposits and assuring customers they will get a 2020 when they ship.....well, that's a problem. Despite being morally and ethically wrong, it's potentially actionable in court (civil or potentially, criminal) if the dealer is intending to keep those deposits should they not be able to "deliver the goods"....

The potential caveat (and a weak argument at that) is IF the dealer reveals the deposit is "non-refundable" at the time it is taken, they may have somewhat of an "out" to being actioned for fraudulent practices. That might not hold up in a court if it can be proven they took the money knowing they would not be able to fill the contract the deposit creates.

Fun times and interesting to watch it all happen from the sidelines. Too much hype around this new 'Vette fro me to want to get anywhere near it. For purchasing purposes that is. GM is very carefully crafting an over hyped media circus in order to create a buying frenzy when the gate drops. I guess I can't blame them really, they're a corporation that sells vehicles. They need to make profit or they go under, so cleaver schemes to ensure sales is to be expected.

But heck, I wouldn't be a buyer if there wasn't this hype around the C8 release. Just too much money for (what would amount to for me) a "toy".....hell, 60G is too much for any car IMHO. Although...my 2016 F150 Lariat did list for almost 70G when we bought it (didn't pay anywhere near that though).
Lots of "ifs" there Tourmax.
After all if the dealer is up front with the "potential" client that he has less than an icicles chance in hell of getting a 2020 then it is not at all dishonest to take a fools money - as long as it is refundable.
As you said, common sense is not that common. Have trouble understanding how someone can just put $5G or more on a hope that his star will shine. Haven't figured it out but Lotto 6/49 might have better odds. Mind you, the banks charge you now to keep money in a savings account unless you keep a minimum balance. Who said that negative interest rates were not already here? So maybe putting a $5G deposit from that negative rate banking account is a good move. At least you get your money back in full without a handling fee (I would hope).

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
The idea of taking 100s of deposits for say..10 allocations is a bit over the top.
But providing they are refundable it actually gives the dealership a good feel for who is just kicking tires and who is serious about owning the car. This will help sell the 2021 models as well as many will likely spill over to the next year or perhaps be used on another car. I personally used a 20k deposit for a ZR1 on a Cadillac a couple years ago when the ZR1 deal didn’t happen.
So as a dealership there are some practical reasons to do this and if the money is refundable... where’s the harm?

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
All the deposits I have heard of are refundable.... Not sure if they are paying interest on them though...
If they were I would put a deposit on one knowing 99.9% I would not have pay out ..just to get the interest that the banks do not pay or even worst charge us, negative interest rate, just to hold our money.

WOW, a C8!! Nicely done, Kevin. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to acquire.
Dale.
Thanks I hope not as well as I am very excited but I guess we up here are such a small market for them.....Maybe we could give them their US Open and NBA Championships back and we could get some Northeren #s :)

Hi :) I am 1st on the list of his dealerships allotment they have not heard anything from GM Canada as of yet....I am kind of disappointed in even the dealers not knowing anything at this point.
They can't say anything right now until the strike gets settled.
Now that the Corvette will have all season tires maybe they will deliver to Canada in the winter. With the C7 summer only tires they did not send anything this way until April.

Reactions: OttawaKev
They can't say anything right now until the strike gets settled.
Now that the Corvette will have all season tires maybe they will deliver to Canada in the winter. With the C7 summer only tires they did not send anything this way until April.
going in tomorrow to see what is available to order now :) :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.