Mar 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
Anyone use a VOIP home phone service? I've been using Fido home phone, but for months now communications in is breaking up badly. Callers can hear us fine, but their voice breaks up. I'm going to call Fido because I think it's their issue. I've replaced the ZTE converter and the phone system. I've moved the ZTE to a window but still does it. Been trying the Fongo free app on my and it works great, but I'm wondering what issues there are with such things. Like 911 or voice mail etc.

Comment

Send

Not me but my sister does the VOIP thing in Ottawa and I hate talking to her on the phone.... She breaks up a lot too... Not sure what provider
Oh so many responses to this! lol
You should love her and talk to her!
She can't keep a mate?
;)

Not sure this is helpful:

-we went to a VOIP system at our office; saves a ton of money on phone rental and long distance calls with everything being over the Web
-we had a TON of hiccups at the start: getting cut off, not being heard on the other end, not hearing anyone on our end; or garbled voices
-our external IT people gradually ironed out all the bugs (over 3-5 months?) and now we're doing fine and happy
-getting back to costing, I suppose our "hidden cost" is paying for IT support

I can't comment on a "residential service" but that was our office experience. The key thing for us was having IT people who were well versed with this system/software and able to trouble-shoot it. That said, we implemented VOIP about 4 years ago, so perhaps it's better now?

Anyone use a VOIP home phone service? I've been using Fido home phone, but for months now communications in is breaking up badly. Callers can hear us fine, but their voice breaks up. I'm going to call Fido because I think it's their issue. I've replaced the ZTE converter and the phone system. I've moved the ZTE to a window but still does it. Been trying the Fongo free app on my and it works great, but I'm wondering what issues there are with such things. Like 911 or voice mail etc.

Comment

Send

Do you absolutely need a voip phone? Cellular service not so good?

I used https://voip.ms/residential years back, very flexible, loads of options and lots of servers. Within your home you will need to play around with your router (many have some levels of QoS that will prioritize voip traffic), I can go on but I know you're on your phone and can respond with single syllable words today ;)

Do you absolutely need a voip phone? Cellular service not so good?

I used https://voip.ms/residential years back, very flexible, loads of options and lots of servers. Within your home you will need to play around with your router (many have some levels of QoS that will prioritize voip traffic), I can go on but I know you're on your phone and can respond with single syllable words today ;)
Cell service here sucks. Towers are miles from me with lots of trees and hills in the way. With the ZTE modem with two antennas it's 4 bars. For months now we've had issues with downloading. Uploading our voice is fine, but voices coming in suck. Funny I plugged a telephone (remember those? ;) ) in and it seems to work fine now. hmmmm.

I used a VOIP ATA (analog telephone adapter) with a standard home phone set for my business line before I retired, but it appears the brand I used no longer exists. But if you google voip phone adapter reviews you'll find a lot of good info.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.