Mar 15, 2018
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
1971 Corvette
Province
AB
Hi,

I'm looking for new rivets to hold my VIN plate on the windshield pillar post for my 71 Corvette. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can purchase the rivets?

Hi,

I'm looking for new rivets to hold my VIN plate on the windshield pillar post for my 71 Corvette. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can purchase the rivets?

If you are trying to go original you should get them from Paragon or Corvette Central
If not you can get them at Canadian Tire or any hardware store because they are standard rivet

Reactions: Jr. Corvette
Canadian tire has ones that look pretty close to the originals.

Attachments

• D65B613B-060E-4016-AEB3-3F7C50B49DCF.jpeg
    D65B613B-060E-4016-AEB3-3F7C50B49DCF.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: turbozig
While working for GM I once came across a package of GM VIN plate rivets but didn't realize the significance of the design of the rivet until I wanted to restore my 69 Camaro Z28. The GM rivets (not sure when GM started using them) are shaped like a daisy with tiny GM stamped on them. Re Vining a vehicle is a federal offence and removing a vin plate and reinstalling it with plain rivets would make one suspicious of it's authenticity so these rivets would be valuable to the restorer and the guy wanting to make a car look original. I've looked high and low for these rivets over the years but haven't found them. I would hesitate to replace these rivets with ordinary rivets on a special valuable collector car.

Don't know if I'm braking any rules by posting another web site but if it keeps you out of trouble you need to look at this.

Last edited:
I just realized I posted a picture of my paint/interior code plate and not my vin plate. Hahaha. Anyway, I never took off my vin code plate but it looks like the same rivets. It’s all painted black though and with the interior trim in place, you can’t see the rivets anyway, at least not with my 77 but it could be different with your 71.

Attachments

• D6D5C82C-6C2F-4A05-A6F6-51138F4AB959.png
    D6D5C82C-6C2F-4A05-A6F6-51138F4AB959.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.