VelocityYellowRules!

RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
So I've just returned from eight days in Quebec City. I went to visit my mom's side of the family for the first time in 30 years, yeah sad. So I decided to take mom and my son. Mom goes back every year but this was my son's first trip.

We went to St Anne Des Beaupre to light some candles and pray, around Iles D'Orleans where we gorged on iced crème, fresh straw and blueberries, to the Citadel and the Plains of Abraham and many family BBQ's where we ate and drank too much.

It did me a whole lot of good to be honest and I am ashamed that I waited so long.

For fun, I wanted to rent an electric car. If I'd have been in Montreal I could have gotten a Tesla. But the best I could do was a hybrid, the Chev Volt. It was really terrific, 80 km range then the gas generator kicks in. Even 120 volt charging it was full the next day when we got back at night to plug in.

So I'm really pretty smitten by this and think that while the technology is not fully mature, it is fully functional.

That brings me to the point of considering getting a Chev Bolt, the Volt's fully electric newer brother.

360 km range which outside of going to Edmonton is fine for me.

Not happy about the initial 52K or so cost, but in the long term it is money up front to save lots over the life of the car. For example, currently struggling to wrap my head around the 2K exhaust repair my Dakota needs - never have that with an electric car!

And thus I was wondering, do any of my Corvette brothers or sisters have any experience with EV'S?? Good or bad??

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: turbozig
Spence, while you'd think that would be a deal breaker for me, I am so impressed with the electric car that I am willing to overlook that problem. And yeah, why doesn't Chev not just let the Bolt line have some paint from the C7 line???????

And if I could get a new one - the orange metallic Bolt would be for me. Atomic orange had been my second choice after velocity yellow for the Z06...............

Last edited:
Augh! I never mentioned the trip - what an idiot! I also got to go to the boardwalk at the Chateau Frontenac, where my dad and mom met WAY back when.

Yet another missed opportunity! Oddly I saw more Corvette's than Camero's but those Quebecois seem to be nutso about Mustangs. Waaaay to many of them!

OK, I'll throw this out there - possibly back in Quebec at Easter and possibly Switzerland and Slovenia in August........................just in case!

Garry, wish I had known you were there. We spent two nights in Quebec City on our way to and back from Nova Scotia.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Last edited:
I would probably go for a Tesla 3 myself if I could get one for the same price as a Bolt but I can't seem to come close to that.

Fuel is but one component for me to consider. Oil changes with synthetic at 100 a pop, changing the timing belt in my sedan soon, like I said earlier the 2000 cost to have the exhaust on my truck repaired. I can also say I won't miss cleaning my CAI air filter any more!

The joy and bliss of changing the alternator belt on my sedan in -35 weather is another fun time I can do without.

It is just time for a change I'm thinking. We've had ICE now for about 120 or so years. Just like they replaced the horse as they were better technology so I'm thinking about EV's now.

I wonder a bit about battery replacement down the road and its cost but hey as cancer will probably kill me before that becomes an issue I'm going to pick pop bottles this morning!

The struggle is that I want the EV car but also want to get my garage pad concreted and my gf wants to paint or replace the siding on the house.

How much was your friends Tesla by the way??

Oh engines too........my mom had two Nissan Frontiers..........an engine in each at 6 K a time (fragments of the catalytic that got sucked into the cylinders) and the 2nd one had a manual tranny with a clutch that failed, some really odd clutch that was another 4 k to replace. So you can see for me gas is a minor expense in my ICE owning experience. The mechanical costs have been by far the larger cost. I had an engine in my 280 ZX that failed too, 3,500 later.

So maybe EV better than ICE, maybe not. But I'm not seeing it as being worse based on my experience.

Cheers,

Garry

People need to let me know when they are blasting through here (QC).
Might be able to meet up with them and tour around a bit.
As to EV's, my thinking is the price tag and how many miles you will do with it. If it is a minimal mileage around the town grocery car then maybe the price tag could be a bit steep for that. You can get a gas job for a lot less. If you are going to put a fair amount of K's on it then the price of gas might not offset the price of the vehicle.
Another thing to consider is that some juristictions are now starting to charge extra licensing fees for EV's as an EV does not give th egovernment and tax revenue from the sale of gas. You can always count on the government to tax us to the hilt.

Thanks for addressing all the angles of your decision. I would like to ask how much his Model 3 was but it just didn't seem appropriate. Some guys seem willing to put that stuff out there. I certainly don't mind. But this guy keeps everything to himself. I found a link stating base price of $45,600. Is that what you found?

That's some terrible luck with vehicles. Remind me not to buy one of those Frontiers for sure. Never had engine failure on anything.

What have you learned about battery replacement costs? Seems like a person could not sell a used electric vehicle because the shortened battery life would make a prospective buyer gun shy. So one would be stuck with the vehicle forever or replace the batteries first. Are they coming down in price?

My friend drives to the lake with his Model 3. When he gets home the screen says he has 150 kms left. If he takes his wife with him, when he gets home it says 120 kms left. 4 people and luggage would beat up the mileage even more. So much for the 400 km range. But around the city, who cares. I just found it interesting the difference made by one more passenger. I asked him about having A/C on and he said the difference was negligible. That surprised me. The dashboard sure looks different. There isn't one. Just a big computer screen in the middle.

Bic

Wow I can't put enough expletives on this thread to express how this makes me feel. Charging a fee as they are missing gas taxes OK fine, but I want a payment for being zero emissions and saving the province on health care costs from less polluted air!!!!!!

People need to let me know when they are blasting through here (QC).
Another thing to consider is that some juristictions are now starting to charge extra licensing fees for EV's as an EV does not give th egovernment and tax revenue from the sale of gas. You can always count on the government to tax us to the hilt.

If I could find a Tesla 3 for 45,600 I'd go for it pretty quick. But different battery options, AWD seem to take them into the 70K range. The Bolt comes in two models, 47 and 52K. No difference in range between them, just bling. Oddly outside of one Tesla model, the Bolt has the furthest range of any current EV on the market. Good job GM!

Battery replacement costs seem to be a question hard to find an answer. With changes in technology as rapid as they are, in 10 years (I think the oft quoted life span) the batteries will be half the size, weight and price so not sure if there is any relevant data................

It seems that most batteries are assuming that with some common sense care they will drop from 100% capacity to 80% in 2 or 3 years but then stay there from then on....................

Thanks for addressing all the angles of your decision. I would like to ask how much his Model 3 was but it just didn't seem appropriate. Some guys seem willing to put that stuff out there. I certainly don't mind. But this guy keeps everything to himself. I found a link stating base price of $45,600. Is that what you found?

What have you learned about battery replacement costs? Seems like a person could not sell a used electric vehicle because the shortened battery life would make a prospective buyer gun shy. So one would be stuck with the vehicle forever or replace the batteries first. Are they coming down in price?

If I could find a Tesla 3 for 45,600 I'd go for it pretty quick. But different battery options, AWD seem to take them into the 70K range. The Bolt comes in two models, 47 and 52K. No difference in range between them, just bling. Oddly outside of one Tesla model, the Bolt has the furthest range of any current EV on the market. Good job GM!

Battery replacement costs seem to be a question hard to find an answer. With changes in technology as rapid as they are, in 10 years (I think the oft quoted life span) the batteries will be half the size, weight and price so not sure if there is any relevant data................

It seems that most batteries are assuming that with some common sense care they will drop from 100% capacity to 80% in 2 or 3 years but then stay there from then on....................
Yikes. It looks like my bud spent more than I could have imagined on his Tesla. He is finding that the only people that even know what he is driving are young people. As young as 11 even. He gets a kick out mom and dad walking right by and the kids stop to take another look. That's promising info on batteries. I really like it but if someone gave me $70K I still wouldn't buy it. That's at least a down payment on a Z06 cuz I don't have a Dasilva creation. So Garry, the ZR1 doesn't have your RWHP or Torque. You could kick it's ass huh?

Bic

Good afternoon Bic,

Odd eh, BC pays 5K for a Bolt (or Tesla), Quebec gives 8K and Ontario 14K, well at least before the last election. Wow Ontario, 14 K paid for on a 47 or 52 K Bolt, I'd have been all over that!

All the other provinces give squat.

Is my car faster than a C7 ZR1? I'd like to think so. More power and torque and I'm lighter (3150 to 3500 lb). But I think the electronic suite of the ZR1, traction and launch control, are much better. Traction is probably a problem for both cars, 335's for rear of the the ZR1 and I'm on 345's now I think. And if the ZR1 has the 8 speed automatic, well I wouldn't want my pink slip riding on it.

If I launched well, I'd say I stood a good chance though especially in that 50 to 200 mph range, the Z06 really explodes there. And for 1/3 the cost and still one of the most sexy cars I think has ever been built.

On the current subject line nice to think that a Tesla S P85 with ludicrous mode pulls a 2.8 0-60 time and probably with any driver and with amazing consistency!!

Cheers,

Garry

Was just told by a dealer there are no Bolts in Alberta! They are expecting some 2019 models in the future. Sort of makes the choice easy for now...............
Find a dealer who has allocation to build one as long as it’s Yellow. They are asking a fine coin for these and you have only one small request. Or buy white and wrap some yellow ... That’s what I’d do as the yellow legacy matters 👍🏻

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
They don't come in yellow - but can you get coloured 3M style wrap? Interesting if so. They are not big cars so I wonder what it would cost? Can you custom order the colour of the wrap??

A 2018 Bolt in Vancouver with 432 km for 41K.................only it is white..............and as an out of province buyer I only have to pay the GST of my province of residence.

Last edited:
Good afternoon Bic,

Odd eh, BC pays 5K for a Bolt (or Tesla), Quebec gives 8K and Ontario 14K, well at least before the last election. Wow Ontario, 14 K paid for on a 47 or 52 K Bolt, I'd have been all over that!

All the other provinces give squat.

Is my car faster than a C7 ZR1? I'd like to think so. More power and torque and I'm lighter (3150 to 3500 lb). But I think the electronic suite of the ZR1, traction and launch control, are much better. Traction is probably a problem for both cars, 335's for rear of the the ZR1 and I'm on 345's now I think. And if the ZR1 has the 8 speed automatic, well I wouldn't want my pink slip riding on it.

If I launched well, I'd say I stood a good chance though especially in that 50 to 200 mph range, the Z06 really explodes there. And for 1/3 the cost and still one of the most sexy cars I think has ever been built.

On the current subject line nice to think that a Tesla S P85 with ludicrous mode pulls a 2.8 0-60 time and probably with any driver and with amazing consistency!!

Cheers,

Garry
Your car sounds amazing. I would love to go for a ride. If it was mine, my driver's licence would be in serious jeopardy.

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Good morning Bic,

Heck it is easy!

Well, just have cancer, promise the car to yourself if you live 5 more years. Conclude that 505 hp is not enough and get some engine work done. Stage 1 mods.

Fast forward another 5 years, get cancer again and figure you'd better get the car cam'ed before things get worse................ Stage 2 mods.

And learn to use cruise control all the time when you can!!! Living in a less populated part of the country helps a wee bit too.

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.