May 14, 2011
Barrie Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1991 Coupe
Had the VATS intermittent start problem. You don't know where or when but your vette decides not to start. Oh it will eventually but the wait can be minutes or hours. Just installed a Newrockies controller that completely by passes the security system. No need for resistor keys, no more intermittent start problems.
Not cheap, and getting to the CCM is a PIA as is getting the CCM out and back in.You need to remove the seats,remove all of the center console trim, remove the radio,remove screws from the dash trim, remove the plastic and carpet panel below the steering wheel, remove the aluminum panel below the steering wheel, remove the side panels on both sides of the console,remove the support bracket from the drivers side of the console, unclip the relay that is mounted up high and will foul the CCM. The CCM is between the back of the radio box and the firewall. There is a bracket between the CCM and the radio box,remove that . Now, with a struggle, you can get the CCM out, wire in the by pass unit (very carefully) and with a struggle put it back. Car started first try with a blank key.
Now put it all back together again. I am guessing 8 hours work. but the unit has, thus far, solved the problem

As with a lot of the other electronic gizmos, I would rather not even have them in the first place. Our car has the electronic push button door handle releases. Then they go and duplicate them with mechanical release levers down on the floor by the seat just in case the electronics fail. Duh. Just give me mechanical door handles in the first place. Same with the gas fill door release. Sooner or later, they will run out of gizmo ideas.....hopefully.

Last edited:
Had the VATS intermittent start problem. You don't know where or when, but your vette decides not to start. Oh it will eventually but the wait can be minutes or hours. Just installed a Newrockies controller that completely by passes the security system. No need for resistor keys, no more intermittent start problems.
Not cheap, and getting to the CCM is a PIA as is getting the CCM out and back in.You need to remove the seats,remove all of the center console trim, remove the radio,remove screws from the dash trim, remove the plastic and carpet panel below the steering wheel, remove the aluminum panel below the steering wheel, remove the side panels on both sides of the console,remove the support bracket from the drivers side of the console, unclip the relay that is mounted up high and will foul the CCM. The CCM is between the back of the radio box and the firewall. There is a bracket between the CCM and the radio box,remove that . Now, with a struggle, you can get the CCM out, wire in the by pass unit (very carefully) and with a struggle put it back. Car started first try with a blank key.
Now put it all back together again. I am guessing 8 hours work. but the unit has, thus far, solved the problem

Thanks Dave for the heads up. I have had one experience with the VATS; on the freeway, no phone and scared the (%*$&^%) out of me! Car died and pulled into the emergency lane. Flashing security light then it went out. Then the car started. Got home and parked it for a while. My mechanic says this is normal? So far, the rest of the summer has been great. NOW I take my phone with me every time I go out, just in case. Good Luck! Tim

As with a lot of the other electronic gizmos, I would rather not even have them in the first place. Our car has the electronic push button door handle releases. Then they go and duplicate them with mechanical release levers down on the floor by the seat just in case the electronics fail. Duh. Just give me mechanical door handles in the first place. Same with the gas fill door release. Sooner or later, they will run out of gizmo ideas.....hopefully.
Well Keith... If my C7 is any indication, they are never going to run out of gizmo ideas...And then I heard the GM engineers are working on a special pair of glasses for 2020 that will read and transmit your eye movements to the Corvette's computer which then produces an algorithm that actually steers the car wherever you look. There have been some problems though when the test drivers did shoulder checks.... :rolleyes::p

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Thanks Dave for the heads up. I have had one experience with the VATS; on the freeway, no phone and scared the (%*$&^%) out of me! Car died and pulled into the emergency lane. Flashing security light then it went out. Then the car started. Got home and parked it for a while. My mechanic says this is normal? So far, the rest of the summer has been great. NOW I take my phone with me every time I go out, just in case. Good Luck! Tim

Hi Tim, the phone is good, suggest also have your CAA, card handy and paid up. I do not know who your mechanic is but I suggest that any car that periodically and randomly dies or fails to start cannot be normal.
Hopefully your problem was only a one time glitch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.