Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
Has anyone done any before and after drag strip tests on the Vararam intake? On a car like our 2005, they claim a gain of .25 of a second reduction in ET. That is a LOT for just and air intake. Advertising and reality seem to not always jive.

I have before and after dynos done--problem is I also installed headers and high flow cats. Result was 30 rwhp with the combo. I don't think 8-10 would be unreasonable from thenVararam side of that equation.

Have the dyno sheet posted somewhere here......

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Is it the Snake Charmer model you are considering Keith? I bought one for my C6 but sold the car before I got it installed. I did a lot of research as well and was pretty impressed with what people had to say. It is a ram air system as oppose to just a cold air intake and people commented to me that the real gain in HP comes on after about 50 kph.... which makes perfect sense as forward motion forces (rams) the air through the intake... Thus I would expect the dyno HP increase would be less than on the road or track. Don't expect the same result when you are in reverse though.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Keith Tedford
IMG_7391.JPG

Hmmmm.... Looking pretty sharp Keith. How long with that toothbrush does it take to get an engine compartment that clean? ;)
It's not quite as clean in person as it looks in the picture. The guy I bought the car from used Q-tips to clean the engine. Hasn't been that clean since. I just use some quick detailer on a cloth and that does a pretty good job on the dust that accumulates.

Last edited:
Just wondering - does anyone know if you have to cut the plastic plenum on the car for all Vararams? I have a lead on a used one but don’t really wanna cut my car up to install it? :)

Had one. If it's the Vararam ram air unit ( called the Snake Charmer), you definately have to cut the shroud for the LS3 and the LS7. Would guess the LS2 would be the same but not sure. Lots of instructions on line.

Reactions: Messner
In the top picture, you have to look pretty hard to see that there has been a cut made. I'd still like to see some quarter mile before and after times with the Vararam. Over the years, I have learned to not trust the seat of the pants dyno. In 1968, I had a done up Ram Air 400 Firebird. The automatic didn't feel as strong as four speed cars that I rode in, yet it had no trouble beating these same cars. Still, for the street, we want the enjoyment of the stick shift. To us, that is half of what a musclecar is all about and my wife can shift better than most guys.

Reactions: Messner
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.