Elf

Power User
Feb 28, 2011
North of Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2008m vert
My wife has ended her contract with the Chinese Govt and plans to fly into Vancouver from Beijing the end of July .Neither of us have been to Vancouver and would like a little personnel insite from people who know .We're going to spend four nights at the Holiday Inn Riverport prior to taking a 14 day cruise to Alaska .
Oh ,this will be the first time I've seen her in over a year except for SKYPE and would like to see the sites .

Elf,

I can gladly give you some information on what to do and see in Vancouver. First of all your staying fairly close to Vancouver Airport in the City of Richmond. Since your wife is coming back from china it will feel as home as richmond has the highest asian population in the Greater Vancouver Area but its a good location to get to and from downtown. And has a ton of food places, from western to asian close by. I assume you want to see all the major sites Vancouver has to offer. Honestly, 4 nights is not enough but I'll give you some direction on what to see. First of all you MUST head downtown to Waterfront, which is also called Canada place, Youll be heading there when you broad your cruise to Alaska but that is the cruise ship terminal and is right on the water. If you can get a day before that, maybe head down to Stanley Park, and you can even take the Sea Bus, which is a public transit boat that goes across to the North Shore. If you got a car, head up to Grouse Mountain, beautiful view of all of Vancouver up there, they have a Gondola ride which is well worth it for any tourists. Along with the north shore they have the Capilano suspension bridge, another great sight for views and its a good place to take your wife for pictures and quiet peaceful scenery.
Also near Downtown, place called Granville Island, its like a outdoor marketplace right along the water.

If your looking at some good places to eat downtown, but want to know about pricing, just send me a message and ill give you some more details.

any other questions just ask, glad to help

Great info just what I was looking for .She has told me that she has no desire to eat Chinese food as long as she lives although she likes ethnic food .You've kinda oriented me as to where everything is and given me some good ideas Thank you so much .

My wife has ended her contract with the Chinese Govt and plans to fly into Vancouver from Beijing the end of July .Neither of us have been to Vancouver and would like a little personnel insite from people who know .We're going to spend four nights at the Holiday Inn Riverport prior to taking a 14 day cruise to Alaska .
Oh ,this will be the first time I've seen her in over a year except for SKYPE and would like to see the sites .

Wow, that reunion sounds very romantic....Elf...I'll bet you both are lookin' so much forward to that after being apart for so long and in such a fine city.

It's going to be a few months yet but I hope you have a great time and post up many pics.

Colin.

Vancouver on 4-Days:

1. Capilano Suspension Bridge and walk around Lynn Canyon in North Van (you can take seabus across harbor on transit pass, and then bus from there). Driving is nice too.

2. Romance in the air? Head to the top of Grouse Mountain. If you're a fitness freak, do the Grouse grind, if not, take the gondola. Either way, on a clear day, the view is stunning.

3. Agreed on Stanley Park--walk around the seawall, and then have lunch somewhere in Coal Harbour--there's a place right on the docks, but its name escapes me.

4. Check-out gas-town. The cobblestone roads and eclectic feel is really worth it.

5. Jericho Beach and the Kits area--also English Bay is great.

6. All the shopping you'll want can be done by walking west on Robson from Burrard st to Denman. Then walk back on the other side. Don't worry about your feet, because there's some really great (and cheap) foot massage places on the way.

7. Look for a place called Happa if you like Asian food--it's like a Japanese tapas bar. It's also on Robson.

8. The aquarium is awesome (Stanley Park). You can also feed bread to the swans near-by. Sounds really gay, but actually quite cool!

9. Try any of these finer-dining restaraunts for a great experience: Raincity Grill, Glowball, Gotham Steakhouse, Joe Fortes (seafood), Bluewater Cafe, but there's literally hundreds of great places to eat downtown.

10. 4-days? Forget Whistler. Not enough time.

11. If you have a car, take a drive down Marine Drive in West Van from the Lion's Gate Bridge all the way to Horseshoe Bay and have coffee or lunch, or whatever out there.

12. If you're into bars and nightlife, the Commodore is an institution for its live music. The Roxy is an older crowd, busy most nights.

There's so much more in Vancouver for you not on my list. Take a day to just explore. It's got a great vibe there, and you'll have an amazing time.

Vince.

You've been given some great recos so far Elf. I'm in Vancouver quite often and if you're like me and enjoy great food and dining, I highly recommend hitting Cioppino's - preferrably for a romantic, special ocassion. (Not seeing your wife for a year qualifies as far as I'm concerned) :D. It's an upscale Italian spot in Yaletown and has won numerous culinary awards (and known to be frequented by celebrities). Like Vince, I also recommend the Blue Water Caf

Last edited:
All great info and I'd like to thank you folks for taking the time to give me first hand information .

I'm working also on the terminal layout .We both will have our flights termed as international incoming .We're coming from totally opposite directions but arrive within 15 minutes of one another.

Really looking foreword to Vancouver and the extended trip to Alaska .I wonder if we'll get to see the sea junk from Japan.No matter what I'm going to be able to see some great sites and meet some of the greatest people of the world .

Thanks again

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.