Feb 23, 2013
Midland, Ont.
VetteCoins
Car
1979 L48 Auto
Working nights, I don't usually get the chance to drive during the week - never mind turn a wrench. This summer I developed the all too familiar puff of smoke on start up, especially after she had been running and then parked for a few hours........ the perfect scenario when attending a cruise night (really nice when leaving).

Cruising around no smoke, hard acceleration no smoke; just strictly start up. I had also started to experience a slight miss under hard acceleration which appeared to be turning into an off idle stumble. Carb was fine, so assumed ignition for this issue.

Started on Monday with my initial tear down and inspection. This motor has never been apart in almost 37 years and is now approaching 140,000 km, so I wasn't surprised to find hard, crusty or non existent seals. I used my vacuum gauge hose to pressurize the cylinder, and a rented valve spring compressor from Canadian Tire to get the assemblies apart. My local NAPA was able to supply me umbrella and o-ring seals, as well as new Proform gaskets and by Wednesday afternoon the job was done. Valve adjustment went very smoothly, and Thursday afternoon I was able to road test and look more closely into my ignition gremlins.

Stumble was definitely becoming more noticeable, which initially led me to think plug wires,which all checked out physically as well as with my ohm meter. The cap however was a different matter, heavy carbon and burn marks throughout the contact points........very disturbing as the cap, rotor and coil were all replaced 5 summers ago, and had less than 6000 km on them. I kick myself here as I took the advice of a friend and didn't use AC Delco parts on this purchase.....live and learn. So, with the aforementioned parts all replaced with parts I know and trust from the General, she fired right up with just a quick turn of the key.

In gear idle rock steady at 600 rpm, timing verified 36* all in by 3200 rpms, no hesitation from idle right through the power band. Buttoned up covered up and all ready to go.

I get home from work this morning, take care of my 'honey do' list, grab a shower and get ready to head out to start my weekend..........and it starts friggin' raining!!!

Oh well I can always sit in the garage and polish something. Have a great weekend lads, not too many left.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Nice to see someone actually still working on their older cars. I used to build my own engines, do all my own tuneup work, brakes and the like. With our '05, there isn't a whole lot that I would dare touch. Electronics are a different world to me. I don't even understand the terminology. They might as well be talking Greek.

Playing hooky today, as it's my 7th wedding anniversary. Did a day trip to Collingwood (day spa for the wife......don't ask.....). Car ran flawlessly there and back. So nice not having to cringe turning the key when there's a bunch of people watching. Total cost for seals, gaskets, cap, rotor and coil was just over $100. I shudder to think how much I'd be out of pocket if a reputable shop had touched her.........might have had to take the Mrs. to Mickey D's for dinner.

....Good job replacing the valve stem seals, not exactly fun doing it that way but beats taking the heads off. Sounds like it is tuned and ready to rock now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.