Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
Debating whether to put this in or not so I thought I'd throw up a poll.

We have a feature I've been toying with to introduce a User Map, basically a google map that will show your last location on a map when you are online or posting or last post. It's not military grade as it uses your IP address rather than GPS or other means to derive your location so most of the time it'll be showing the city from where you posted.

We could do a GPS based one but bigger project and we'd have to make it an opt-in type of affair for privacy reasons

Don't worry, won't show your house/address.

It's somewhat cool as it puts a location around members too lazy to fill out their profile location.

So want it? Vote above...

Reactions: Steamer
I could think of a few reasons people might not want a map of any accuracy showing where they are. No reference to the people on this board but there are lots of unknown visitors. You never know.

I don't care much for the idea. Just my nickel since we no longer have any cents let alone two of them.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm actually going to implement something map related that may be more useful immediately. More of an event map feature. So whenever people setup events, cruises etc you'll have a neat option to define markers of your cruise or meeting points.

I'll leave the user map poll open and see what folks say. It can be easily implemented once I have the custom maps going.

Reactions: vintageracer

Users who are viewing this thread