VetteCoins
Username Style Freeform (Sponsors)
Thread Title Style (Sponsors)
Car
2009 Base 1LT
Province
ON
Hello all,

It is most certainly a trying time for all of us with a level of uncertainty we have never seen before. Keep in mind, GM Canada is treated/treats its dealerships differently than GM does in the USA. Changes they make south of the border do not necessarily affect us.

I just got off the phone with Bill Spencer himself for guidance on what to share with customers who have a 2020 deposit/order in at our or other dealerships. Here's what I got from it:

Aside from the plant being closed down, he (or Canada) has not received any word on the risk to our customers with sold orders in our system, or that sold orders have been closed for the 2020MY Corvette.

For anyone who has a TPW already, expect it to be pushed back in time equal to the time the plant will be closed for. At this point, GM has announced it will be closed until the end of March, by which point they will play it by ear on a week-to-week basis on deciding whether or not they will reopen it.

For anyone who has yet to get their build to their dealership, you may still be able to get it, in Canada. The letter sent out to dealerships regarding the closing of adding 'sold orders' to Order Workbench was to dealerships in the USA. Bill has not received such a letter here in Canada yet. He was unable to get to his computer at the time I called, so he could not confirm whether or not he could still add sold orders.

The letter regarding the closure of the plant mentioned that orders already in the system may not be fulfilled. Again, this letter was to dealerships in the USA. Bill has not received such a letter himself. Until there is an official statement in Canada, there is little/no risk that we will not be able to fulfil all orders accepted by GM for production.

The situation is changing every day and it's likely that it will get worse before it gets better. I'm doing my best to follow the advice my parents gave me when I was very young:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I'll do my best to keep us all up-to-date on what we hear from GM Canada.

Eric

Thanks for that input EJ. It truly is an unprecedented and trying time for all. I too had to close my business and layoff my employees. I think it will get worse before it gets better. We are in this for the long haul, this won't be a few weeks, but most likely a few months before we will see some normality return. I'm still hoping I get my vert that had a TPW of April 6th before all this went down. But I guess it is what it is. Thanks again on the update, and keep us posted.

Reactions: ABC
Update:

Screenshot_20200323_133845.jpg

People may want to consider pulling their deposits. Another Toronto dealership went under before all this went down and people likely lost their $5K deposits. At this point, any dealership can go under. Get your deposits back if you still can. $5K is a lot of coin to lose.

People may want to consider pulling their deposits. Another Toronto dealership went under before all this went down and people likely lost their $5K deposits. At this point, any dealership can go under. Get your deposits back if you still can. $5K is a lot of coin to lose.

Large dealerships going under are incredibly rare. What happened at Dean Myers was a long, long time coming. Yes, it's been tough with Oshawa shutting down, then the 5-week strike, and now the current pandemic, but I find it highly unlikely that a dealership will close because of the current economic situation.

• Winner
Reactions: OttawaKev
Our silver lining could be Donald Trump. I was watching his speech yesterday and he is pretty hard core on getting America back to work. It's clear he's not taking this virus very seriously (he should be). He wants everything open, and because of him and his attitude, it would surprise me one bit if they reopened after their "deep cleaning" shutdown.

Our silver lining could be Donald Trump. I was watching his speech yesterday and he is pretty hard core on getting America back to work. It's clear he's not taking this virus very seriously (he should be). He wants everything open, and because of him and his attitude, it would surprise me one bit if they reopened after their "deep cleaning" shutdown.

It will be interesting as each State is controlling the level of shutdowns within their jurisdictions at the moment... But you are right. This needs to be taken seriously everywhere. If they are not careful, the US will become the new epicenter in a hurry.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents

Nik went off topic...... Self moderation. :)

:WillyNilly:
LOL at Trump's speech having ANY impact on the decisions made by States and more importantly socially responsible (and sane) corporations...they are words and mean nothing.

:WillyNilly:
LOL at Trump's speech having ANY impact on the decisions made by States and more importantly socially responsible (and sane) corporations...they are words and mean nothing.
I agree he's not the greatest when it comes to these types of issues. But don't be fooled that POTUS does not have the power to over ride state laws... similar to our Emergency's Act that will give the Prime Minister powers to override provincial powers that the Premiers have.

...and as for Big Business and Corporations... they care most of their bottom line and make billions and billions on the backs of the little guy. Make no mistake, the care about profits BEFORE the health and safety of the little guy working the line. They are the real tax cheats that get breaks right left and centre and hide their money overseas so they pay less.

Breaking News. "Trump invokes Emergency Measures Act to force unionized GM workers to build Corvettes in Kentucky"
LOL

More like "Trump invokes Emergency Measures Act to force GM to build ventilators at their corvette plant in Kentucky."
He doesn't have to do that because they already offered to make them. I'm not saying he will try to do any of those things, but if you think POTUS can't overide unions or state or local regulations if $hit really hit the fan, you are foolish.

Painting Business with the same brush ... it's antagonistic.
Corporations have shareholders . Shareholding can be the little guy's pension.
So many Corps stepping up and paying the minimum wage earner while shop is closed.
You couldn't be more wrong right now without being more specific with exactly who you
are directing the statement to.
Small Business Owner I am and I am also Incorporated ...
Shareholding Pension and even the CPP sustaining investments are getting shot to hell for now.
I am also a small business owner and its us that always bare the brunt of everything. I'm talking about billion dollar corporations. They always look after themselves first and everyone else after.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.