Aug 31, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2024 C8 coupe
Province
NT
How many of you are finding the tire pressure monitor wonky ? My front tires always show the same pressure and the rear’s are different from each other and the fronts by 10 to 12 kpa or so. I adjusted the pressure of all of them to the factory recommended 30 psi as they were anywhere from 32 to 36 on delivery. All season stock tires. Does seem that the run flats which are noisy to begin with aren’t quite so annoying and the vehicle does seem to ride a bit better, not as jarring on expansion joints or ridges in the road surface etc after going down to 30 psi . This vehicle has mag ride . I used two different gauges to check the pressure and both showed 30 bang on with the tires at ambient temperature.

Last edited:
I find if I am driving with the sun on one side of the car the tires on that sun side will show a ocuple of lbs more PSI than the other side.
For sure that would make a difference. Same thing if you just went through three long right hand corners in a row or a long on or off ramp. I am seeing the variation on start up just after taking the cover off which goes right down to the driveway covering the tires and the vehicle in the shade. While just driving around town today I was seeing an approximate 20 kpa difference between front and rear . I don’t think the sensors are very accurate it seems.

I find if I am driving with the sun on one side of the car the tires on that sun side will show a ocuple of lbs more PSI than the other side.
This, absolutely. Screw the metric too while we are at it. When I flip over to US, all my tires are within a pound...

Reactions: Vettenut
How many of you are finding the tire pressure monitor wonky ? My front tires always show the same pressure and the rear’s are different from each other and the fronts by 10 to 12 kpa or so. I adjusted the pressure of all of them to the factory recommended 30 psi as they were anywhere from 32 to 36 on delivery. All season stock tires. Does seem that the run flats which are noisy to begin with aren’t quite so annoying and the vehicle does seem to ride a bit better, not as jarring on expansion joints or ridges in the road surface etc after going down to 30 psi . This vehicle has mag ride . I used two different gauges to check the pressure and both showed 30 bang on with the tires at ambient temperature.
Sure a bunch of things effect the pressure of the tires ... sun ... heat ...cold etc etc .... I dont fuss over it too much ... mine's a 21 and the pressure readings are always in the proper range ... unless I get a flashing ! ... I dont pay that much attention to it .... but if the fluctuations are too frequent or strange somehow ... mabe there is an issue ? ;)

Reactions: 1st Vette
I used a $100 pressure gauge, and did a calibration check on it. And another $10 to calibrate against each other, as I know these 2 are accurate, the first to 0.5lb. The cheapo I keep in the car for emergencies.

The car readout is always within half pound of the guages. There may be a problem with your system if your readout is off by 3lb. But more likely u r using a cheapo air pressure gauge which gives you wonky, inconsistent readings. That, unless u calibrated it already. Buy a $100 gauge, and report back here. If a difference of 3lb is important to you, it is worth it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
readings on TPMS will have a small range between actual pressure in the tires and what is displayed on the screen. Some TPMS sensors might be more sensitive (read lazy) to changes in actual pressure than others before it relays the info to the car.

ALA you are within a pound or two on the display of where you set your pressures (either stock or your own) you are good to go, as mentioned above the sun, turns you make while driving can increase pressure reading in the display so it is different between 1 side vs. the other and F & R.

I've checked tire pressure cold with 2 different gauges which correlate well, and the TPM's usually read low on my '23 with all-season tires, some worse than others - the car is sitting in a heated insulated garage, so temperature differences aren't much of an issue. Most likely my TPM's are reading low, so I go by the gauges, and I don't put much weight on the TPM readings, unless they are significantly different from the 30 psi target. As others have said, temperature changes affect tire pressure - driving, hard cornering, air temperature, sun vs. shade. If you're tracking the car, Ron Fellows driving school cars start out with the tires at less than 30 psi cold, targeting for 30 psi once the tires warm up on the track. Yeah, I talk psi - don't expect to be within a few kPa when there's +/- a few psi inaccuracy and temperature-related fluctuations in the readings

• Agree