May 24, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Corvette
I was replacing the rear sway bar bushings and I was at the last bolt and suddenly the inside tread come off and now I cannot remove the stupid bolt. Its like a nut at the end of the bolt.. what can I do to fix this?

Sly Mart if memory serves me and I understand the problem you can buy what is called an Ez Out. Long time since I used one but you drill a hole into the bolt and thread in the Ez Out and take it out with a wrench. The threads on the tool are reversed. Lots of penetrating oil and maybe some heat.

Good luck, I feel your frustration.

Maybe I didn't explain it properly the problem is that the bolt is not broken.. the thread inside the frame came off and now I cannot remove the bolt. It's like having a bolt and the nut at the end of the bolt is inside the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20160514_101609.jpg
    IMG_20160514_101609.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 28
Good photo SlyMart, that explains the problem a little better. My only thought would be try to centre the bolt in the hole and equal pressure downwards on the bracket while turning the bolt. Maybe need a couple of extra hands which may not be possible. What happens if you just cut if off and then drill the hole and replace the threaded portion with a heli coil? You may have to use a slightly larger bolt to hook it up again.

Maybe I still am not looking at it right but I wish you good luck.

Sly...
I just took a peek at my '75....
There doesn't seem to be any nearby frame access holes to get at the captured nut??
I haven't touched those bushings in 25+ years so I can't remember.?
There must have been some way the factory welded a nut in the frame?
image.jpeg
or used a nut with an anti-spin 'arm' on it???

I just checked the assembly manual and it shows a welded nut inside...
There must be a way they welded it in there,,,!

My '75 has the front end up on stands right now(working on a steering issue) so I can't really get under the back end to investigate.

Let us know what you find. Good luck.
Graham

Hey SLY..
Did you get after this bolt yet!
I was thinking both nuts might be welded to a plate inside the frame..!
If you put the first bolt back in it's threads, finger tight, that might hold the bracket inside the frame so that you can undo the second bolt?!?
It's a long-shot but maybe worth a try.
I'm really curious as to the outcome on this.
Graham

Yeah that bolt has to be cut.. there is no other way. I am trying to change the rear leaf spring bushing and I think there is a piece that is not suppose to remain there.I got a new set with the kit I bought. Is it safe to remove it?

Attachments

• IMG_20160518_190840.jpg
    IMG_20160518_190840.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 18
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.