All depends on your power goals.........

Below 800, I say supercharger. Above, turbo is a better choice. There are lots of 1K+ RWHP Vettes running around with superchargers, but at those power levels reliability is questionable. Most of them are track only cars at that point. The strain on the belt drive system when trying to make that much power and spin the blower that hard is pretty extreme (ask me how I know......). :Banghead:

Supercharging is a more reliable system in general for realistic power goals. That is why most manufactures use them vs turbo systems. The amount of piping, oil cooling, etc.... required with a turbo makes them not only harder to install, but harder to maintain.

If you really want to reach for the stars with your power goals, a supercharger with a good shot of nitrous will get you there. That's what I'm doing with my latest build.

Just my $0.02 :D

Last edited:
All depends on your power goals.........

Below 800, I say supercharger. Above, turbo is a better choice. There are lots of 1K+ RWHP Vettes running around with superchargers, but at those power levels reliability is questionable. Most of them are track only cars at that point. The strain on the belt drive system when trying to make that much power and spin the blower that hard is pretty extreme (ask me how I know......). :Banghead:

Supercharging is a more reliable system in general for realistic power goals. That is why most manufactures use them vs turbo systems. The amount of piping, oil cooling, etc.... required with a turbo makes them not only harder to install, but harder to maintain.

If you really want to reach for the stars with your power goals, a supercharger with a good shot of nitrous will get you there. That's what I'm doing with my latest build.

Just my $0.02 :D
Your point about servicing SC vs T is definitely valid. I often wonder about the big move by even Porsche now - smaller engines with dual turbos - cost when they go - ouch - have to take engine out probably. There are a lot of things you can to to increase HP in a 6.2 L engine with out either, I would think? Quite frankly my 460 HP/450 torque is more than enough for me. My last car a 5.4L Shelby GT 500 was SC with 500/500 approx. but was a heavy car unlike my C7 and had a lot of get - up and go!! The car I wish I had bought, but, did not know it was coming is the GS!!!

At some point I'm going to put a set of twins in my car. Should be fun. I like the efficiency of turbos over SC's, however, once the pedal is down, does it really matter which one is more efficient? :D
However, generally, I like super chargers on V8's, so that is why I figured I would try the other route. As for running the engine oil through the turbos, I may try an auxillery tank/pump, with a cooler so the two oils don't mix, and this way, I could apply oil pressure to the turbos before the engine starts and the turbos spin, and have a delay once the car is off so as they wind down, they still have oil.

Super Charger... Fewer parts, less problems, and depending on make and model lots of hp in a easy bolt on package.

This..

I've done both multiple times and still pick a s/c over an aftermarket turbo. Smaller/easier packaging, instant torque at low rpm (referring to my choice of roots type superchargers), cheaper to maintain oh and the SOUND :). I'm very aware of all the cons too, always carry enough spare belts to be eligible to become a Gates supplier and could change a belt with one hand.

And, isn't there some amount of lag with turbos, versus no lag with SC ?

Ah, the lag wouldn’t bother me. Especially with the new turbo these days and being twins, they’d spoil up fast enough. I’m hit or miss on the whistle. I like it and then don’t. As for the belt whine of a super charger, I think I would constantly be thinking my power steering fluid is low.

Turbo on the H1 with straight out exhaust. Sounds great when it spools up. Can hear it from the next province. Neighbors always say they love the truck but hate me as I start it and warm it up. Lag.... who knows as it a 9000 pound beast.
SC on the Corvette can only really hear it in PDR but I have been told it’s quite audible from the outside of the car. Power... instant from any RPM.

Very good question on a build though. Not sure which way I would go but likely SC as there is just so much proven system available for street. 800 or so HP. I do not see much around for turbo addition for street queening.

This thread will be fun to watch.

D

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Never had a supercharged car, but in "the days of my yoot" (early eighties) we built a twin turbo small block 350, with 454 heads running 10:1 compression and 28 lbs boost.. had to use water injection to be able to run that much boost but we figured we had about 650hp to the back wheels... split second lag but when they kicked in look out.. what we really liked is that when you didn't tromp on it it actually got great gas mileage and we were able to afford a couple more boxes of Kraft Dinner...
We first had it in a 68' Camaro with an M22 4 speed and vette rear end... but got bored and put that whole drive train into a Datsun 240Z
Sorry for rambling... this isolation has me bored a f ....

I'm a little bias being I have supercharged my C7 z51 but I also have twin turbo Porsche and had a turbo mustang so I have had a chance to experience both. In regards to the daily driving and as others noted that instant punch of power and torque is exciting to drive. In terms of ease of instal the supercharger is pretty simple but I would say both options are not without issues. Supercharger your dealing with heat issues and so to say that just adding a supercharger is simple is kinda of a loaded statement as likely to get the max out of anything even turbos it never just stops there. Overall I love the result of a supercharger.

And would either void your warranty????
Depends on the dealer. My original dealer wouldn't touch the car after my upgrades however after a few calls got a dealer who was happy to work with me and I've actually had several warranty issues related to the A8 all of which was covered. I think that if you want to go this route you need to be willing to scrap the warranty or hopefully get lucky like I did with the dealer I now have a relationship with. Also, a good tuner should be able to make sure that you get the max out of the upgrades without causing damage so my dealer argues the warranty work has nothing to do with my upgrades and more to do with production quality.

Depends on the dealer. My original dealer wouldn't touch the car after my upgrades however after a few calls got a dealer who was happy to work with me and I've actually had several warranty issues related to the A8 all of which was covered. I think that if you want to go this route you need to be willing to scrap the warranty or hopefully get lucky like I did with the dealer I now have a relationship with. Also, a good tuner should be able to make sure that you get the max out of the upgrades without causing damage so my dealer argues the warranty work has nothing to do with my upgrades and more to do with production quality.

I had some upgrades done on my CVO Harley when it was new at the Harley dealership that I bought it from. So if you do a stage 4 or what ever and they perform the work they stand behind the warranty. If they don't do the work your are out of luck if something breaks. I just wondered if car dealerships were the same way if they do the work?

I had some upgrades done on my CVO Harley when it was new at the Harley dealership that I bought it from. So if you do a stage 4 or what ever and they perform the work they stand behind the warranty. If they don't do the work your are out of luck if something breaks. I just wondered if car dealerships were the same way if they do the work?
Problem is I find the dealers are not setup to properly complete a supercharger upgrade. Missing the dyno and experience in tuning. I actually had all my work done with a speed shop who used Davenport for a remote tune. The dealer I'm at I think is probably rare in that they still honor the warranty but a lot has to do with the fact the head mechanic is very comfortable with the upgrades I did because he himself works on mods outside of work. As I mentioned I think that doing upgrades comes with risk and one would be losing the warranty for sure. So much stuff can go wrong just in the tune so you need to make sure you pick the right place and there is a reason why they get you to sign the waiver before they put the car on the dyno lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread