Jan 13, 2020
Whitby
VetteCoins
Car
Audi R8
Province
ON
Can anyone advise if the transport covers are weather proof? I just got off the phone with my dealer and they have cut their hours to 5 pm every night including closing on Saturdays until further notice. I totally respect their decision. I was advised that my car should be delivered tonight or tomorrow morning but nobody will be there to receive it. Their companies protocol used to require a signature upon delivery but now the driver just unloads it, puts the keys in a drop box and takes off.
It is supposed to thunderstorm all weekend where I live and my concern is if the cover isn't water proof and it gets wet what will it do to the paint? I have asked if anybody that lives close could bring it in on the weekend but was told that could not happen. Even the thought of it sitting out all weekend is kind of freaking me out.

Reactions: Sparro
For sure....they transport these cars across the US with the covers on.
Corvette.jpg

Can anyone advise if the transport covers are weather proof? I just got off the phone with my dealer and they have cut their hours to 5 pm every night including closing on Saturdays until further notice. I totally respect their decision. I was advised that my car should be delivered tonight or tomorrow morning but nobody will be there to receive it. Their companies protocol used to require a signature upon delivery but now the driver just unloads it, puts the keys in a drop box and takes off.
It is supposed to thunderstorm all weekend where I live and my concern is if the cover isn't water proof and it gets wet what will it do to the paint? I have asked if anybody that lives close could bring it in on the weekend but was told that could not happen. Even the thought of it sitting out all weekend is kind of freaking me out.
Don't worry it already got wet.

Last edited:

Not too convinced that the rain will be any problem but I would be camped out with it until Monday if it were me.

Not likely waterproof, may be water resistant.
Your car already got wet. They all do. After assembly, one of the stops is "water test", prior to leaving the plant.

Thanks AxeZ06 I know it has been wet but my concern is having it sit until Monday with a wet car cover on it.
I'd guess those covers dry up as quick as a quick dry t shirt. Out in the elements.....it'll be fine.
(think I know what you're going thru......I've never used mine in the wet....I've never turned the wipers on yet....don't know if they work, or not)

• Haha
Reactions: X-R8
If somebody tire kicking doesn't take the cover off before the weekend is over I will be surprised. I will drive by a few times over the weekend and check.. Hahaha
The dealership is closed from today at 5 until Monday Morning. Not a single soul will be there.

Thus why I would be camped out with it... The Saturday night drive by after leaving the bar... "Hey. Look.... there's one of those new Corvettes. Stop... Lets go over and have a look... There's nobody around.... Maybe the doors are unlocked..".... lol....Don't mind me X-R8.... I'm where sweat and nightmares come from.... :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 12cents and X-R8
The cover is installed before the Corvette goes outside at the plant, then it sits outside until it's placed on the transport and shipped to your dealership. It can be outdoors for a couple of weeks. The first few built sat outside for over a month before leaving the assembly plant.

The cover is not waterproof (many holes in it for ventilation as the vehicle needs to run with it on). It is water resistent though. It's a relatively thin, quick-drying, breathable material. It's more to keep debris (think dirt, bird poop, or whatever gets thrown at the cars while on the back of an open transport or train) off the paint and helps reduce scratching before the vehicle arrives at the dealership.

Our first car arrived minutes after a downpour finished. By the time I was removing it, the cover was pretty much dry.

Reactions: Gilles27
The cover is installed before the Corvette goes outside at the plant, then it sits outside until it's placed on the transport and shipped to your dealership. It can be outdoors for a couple of weeks. The first few built sat outside for over a month before leaving the assembly plant.

The cover is not waterproof (many holes in it for ventilation as the vehicle needs to run with it on). It is water resistent though. It's a relatively thin, quick-drying, breathable material. It's more to keep debris (think dirt, bird poop, or whatever gets thrown at the cars while on the back of an open transport or train) off the paint and helps reduce scratching before the vehicle arrives at the dealership.

Our first car arrived minutes after a downpour finished. By the time I was removing it, the cover was pretty much dry.
Thank you very much Eric. You have actually lowered my heart rate. Hahaha

Don't worry it already got wet.
Yeah they sit in parking lots for weeks before they are even loaded. Probably been wet several times. Dealerships detail the cars fully before the customer gets them. If you chose to get them detailed. I am not getting mine touched for cleaning. Its going directly for ceramic coating and they suggested not to have them pre clean because they do a better job of it and take more time and care. I don't want some part time detailer leaving swirl marks that would have to be buffed out before the coating. Just makes more work for them.

• Agree
Reactions: X-R8 and Rruuff Day
It won't melt - LOL! Should be happy they are protected the way they are.

If somebody tire kicking doesn't take the cover off before the weekend is over I will be surprised. I will drive by a few times over the weekend and check.. Hahaha
I think you'll be ok, not too many people will know what it is or are even expecting them out our way, but seeing I don't have much to do maybe I'll take a drive by and kick those tires... lol

• Haha
The car that arrives and has your name on it is not your responsibility until
you sign acceptance and pay for it. You have nothing financially to lose as
the Dealer must deliver a Car that is 100% acceptable to you. Even if the
car was inside a building, one can worry about the building burning to the
ground over the weekend (ya I know, a lot of help I am).
In the end of this Chapter ...
you will pick the up your Perfect Car and the never-ending story will just continue.
So please just try to relax …
wait until you park it in a lot on an over-night Corvette Cruise.
It does help to keep insurance topped-up and paid when this happens.

I've had both my two C7's in Cold Lake overnight in a torrential storm …
I know at least two other friends had theirs outside in it too.
They all looked great in the morning. Just have to find a way to relax.
Otherwise you have yourself open to be needled with teases and
we have some of the best right here (all in fun of course).

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.