donny

I'm New Here
Sep 27, 2020
Indiana
VetteCoins
Hi
Have a 67 with TI option. Problem is motor inadvertently dies from electronic malfunction. New correct Coil.Used timing light to verify.
Anyone have this issue?
Thanks f

Don't know if this will help but I had a '66 Pontiac GTO with the TI ignition system. I started having intermittent engine dying episodes. After checking everything else, I removed the TI module and took the cover off and found a power resistor with one of the leads that went from the body of the resistor and into the circuit board was broken but the ends were barely touching. I don't know how it was working at all but it would start and run until either vibration or temperature or both would cause the lead to completely open. Probably a long shot but if you could find another working TI module to swap out it might be worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Have same issue. Dies inadvertently as it warms. Also punching it, timing light goes out momentarily. I’m going to remove unit inside distributor and install a pertronix unit. Unplug heat sink unit so looks correct. Don’t know if it will work but I’m not throwing money at it not knowing what else to do. I’ve asked on sites how to check TI components but nobody knows. Some had said it’s easy but have no knowledge
What do you think?
Don

Don ... I took my TI module apart but you have to realize you could destroy it in the process. Mine was hermetically sealed in a black coating. The resistor I mentioned was a large component that looked like a white rectangular block with leads coming out each end. I just soldered the broken lead together and put the cover back on it and sealed it as best I could. Since this was probably in 1972 I don't remember what I used but I never had the problem again. I traded that GTO in within a year of that repair for my '67 Corvette so I don't know how long that repair actually lasted.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I’m somewhat committed to the pertronix move but I will try to get onto the unit and maybe it’s the same situation you had. Glad to hear your story. Thanks

Hi
Have a 67 with TI option. Problem is motor inadvertently dies from electronic malfunction. New correct Coil.Used timing light to verify.
Anyone have this issue?
Thanks f
I have a 66 vette with factory TI that I installed (converted from points) back in the mid 70's. I had a problem with the car quitting while driving that turned out to be a loose connection where the under hood wiring harness plugs into the fuse box on the firewall. Check there if you are not absolutely sure there is a problem with the TI.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.