Nov 23, 2016
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
89 C4 Corvette
hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice. some of you may have seen my previous videos or posts.

my 89 C4 corvette was diagnosed with a transmission leak. heres what the report says

TRANSMITION REAR TAILSHAFT GASKET & REAR TAILSHAFT SEAL NEED REPLACING. car should not be driven as trans fluid is low and leaking onto exhaust which could ignite.

i went to lakewood chevrolete in edmonton and the guy behind the service desk wasn't %100 sure but he said if thats whats wrong with it, then the quote comes to $180 parts and labor. this cant be right can it? does this guy know what hes talking about? the journeyman mechanic who checked the car said it was a fix that he wouldn't want to do because the labor on.it is a pain in the ass.

the other question i have is what do you guys think this may cost to fix. just as an opinion as I will be using cash or debit and dont have credit cards. so id like to find some kind of ball park figure if possible.

Unless there's something I'm missing on your Corvette Steve, replacing a rear tail shaft extension housing gasket and the tail shaft seal on the tranny shouldn't be brain surgery.. Drop the drive shaft, unbolt the tail shaft extension, pull the old seal. Replace the extension to tranny gasket, replace the seal, reinstall the housing, the drive shaft... and away you go...Unless I'm totally out to lunch, I'm thinking a dealer mechanic with all the toys should be able to do this in a couple hours max. But I've been wrong before so would like to hear what some of the other guys have to say.....

Users who are viewing this thread