trans leak in 89 vette

Discussion in 'Corvette Tech Questions & DIY Guides' started by Steve Fontaine, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Steve Fontaine

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    89 C4 Corvette
    Map
    hey guys, just looking for a bit of advice. some of you may have seen my previous videos or posts.

my 89 C4 corvette was diagnosed with a transmission leak. heres what the report says

TRANSMITION REAR TAILSHAFT GASKET & REAR TAILSHAFT SEAL NEED REPLACING. car should not be driven as trans fluid is low and leaking onto exhaust which could ignite.

i went to lakewood chevrolete in edmonton and the guy behind the service desk wasn't %100 sure but he said if thats whats wrong with it, then the quote comes to $180 parts and labor. this cant be right can it? does this guy know what hes talking about? the journeyman mechanic who checked the car said it was a fix that he wouldn't want to do because the labor on.it is a pain in the ass.

the other question i have is what do you guys think this may cost to fix. just as an opinion as I will be using cash or debit and dont have credit cards. so id like to find some kind of ball park figure if possible.

2. Rruuff Day

Rruuff Day
    Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2015 C7 3LT ZF1
    Map
    Unless there's something I'm missing on your Corvette Steve, replacing a rear tail shaft extension housing gasket and the tail shaft seal on the tranny shouldn't be brain surgery.. Drop the drive shaft, unbolt the tail shaft extension, pull the old seal. Replace the extension to tranny gasket, replace the seal, reinstall the housing, the drive shaft... and away you go...Unless I'm totally out to lunch, I'm thinking a dealer mechanic with all the toys should be able to do this in a couple hours max. But I've been wrong before so would like to hear what some of the other guys have to say.....

ddgermann and nascar03 like this.
  3. ddgermann

ddgermann Well-Known Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2017 Z06
    Takes 5 minutes with google to find all the details on the job.

4. Steve Fontaine

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    89 C4 Corvette
    Map
    not really looking for the details on how its done. like i said im looking for a ball park figure on what this should cost so im not surprised when i take it in

Draft saved Draft deleted