Sargon

Casual User
Feb 3, 2015
Markham
VetteCoins
Car
'15 z51 2LT 7M
Looking at going to this track this summer to track my car and looking for some information/experience/reviews. This track has a couple of organizations that offer some training and will allow you take your car on the track, such as 6th Gear, Apex Driver Training, DriveTeq, Engineered Automotive, Infinite Motorsports and Ron Fellows Driving Experience. Have taken the car to Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) on their open car lapping days, the cheaper alternative, and enjoyed myself but their track is short and looking at the videos from the Canadian Tire (CTMP) is more like a road course. Just looking at taking the car and having some fun in a safe control environment, not interested in achieving good numbers just want to experience a bit of what the car is capable of doing, my ambitions of being a race car driver are long gone. Helmets are mandatory at the CTMP, so I'll be buying a helmet, the Snell 2000 is the minimum standard, they are not mandatory at Cayuga.

All of them cost about the same, with the exception of Ron Fellows, it's a couple of hundred dollars more, the Apex Driver appears to more inline with what I'm looking at getting for the day, all of them offer some type of instructions and analysis before they let you take the track (which is a good idea in my case) but reading some of them they are more into preparing you for the world of road racing.

Anyone have any experience at tracking their cars that could provide some recommendations or information that could educate me on making an informed choice?

Looking at going to this track this summer to track my car and looking for some information/experience/reviews. This track has a couple of organizations that offer some training and will allow you take your car on the track, such as 6th Gear, Apex Driver Training, DriveTeq, Engineered Automotive, Infinite Motorsports and Ron Fellows Driving Experience. Have taken the car to Toronto Motorsports Park (Cayuga) on their open car lapping days, the cheaper alternative, and enjoyed myself but their track is short and looking at the videos from the Canadian Tire (CTMP) is more like a road course. Just looking at taking the car and having some fun in a safe control environment, not interested in achieving good numbers just want to experience a bit of what the car is capable of doing, my ambitions of being a race car driver are long gone. Helmets are mandatory at the CTMP, so I'll be buying a helmet, the Snell 2000 is the minimum standard, they are not mandatory at Cayuga.

All of them cost about the same, with the exception of Ron Fellows, it's a couple of hundred dollars more, the Apex Driver appears to more inline with what I'm looking at getting for the day, all of them offer some type of instructions and analysis before they let you take the track (which is a good idea in my case) but reading some of them they are more into preparing you for the world of road racing.

Anyone have any experience at tracking their cars that could provide some recommendations or information that could educate me on making an informed choice?

Not sure if this is ofinterest to you Sargon but this was posted by our beloved CCF administrator some time ago and taken from his experience with all things track. Here is the post link.

A trilogy in five parts for your first track/lapping day

Reactions: ddgermann

6th Gear and Apex are both very long running event organizers and you can't go wrong with either. 6th gear puts out a better lunch :) but I've not been for a couple of years so can't comment on recent events.

You should also try the BMW Trillium events (don't worry you don't need a beemer) as they used to be my personal favourites. Easy going, well managed, cheaper etc. You can't go wrong with CTMP overall, has the fastest section in Ontario tracks (of which there are not many admittedly), lots of technical parts and overall a lot faster. Definitely more interesting than Cayuga which gets old fast (though I always loved the winter events there). Be weary though there are walls there so take instruction.

Lots of fun. Don't forget to gas up BEFORE you get there as the Shell there is a kidney a litre. Let me know if you have more questions, be happy to answer.

I usually run at Mosport GP with Ontario Time Attack, but they don't have an event there this year. I know guys that do the Engineered Automotive, and BMW Trillium events and both say good things.

Just a note about your helmet comment - Snell 2000 is way out of date. If you're buying a helmet look for a Snell 2015 or newer (not sure if the 2020's are out yet).

TMP open lapping days are about as poorly run as they come, so if you're ok with those, I think any of the track days you listed above will exceed your expectations.

Thank you all for responding, didn't know about BMW Trillium as it wasn't listed on the CTMP webpage, but I will look into it.

Haven't got a helmet but will be asking for the latest for sure, read somewhere that they can't be more then five years old or something along those lines. Looking at going with the open face type as I believe it will be cooler in the car.

Will definitely read the post from the CCF admin

Thanks again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.