Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

If you are feeling lucky choose whatever source you like but if you are open to some advice here is what I've found. I've been following the Corvette forums for about 5 years and a common thread that I've found is chronic issues with the "programmable clone" sensors used by most tire shops they provide a better bottom line to the tire shops because they are programmed at install to meet the parameters of the manufactures and by doing so they have to carry a much smaller inventory of sensors. One size fits all might not provide optimum performance.

GM doesn't manufacture TPM sensors and even though they come in GM or AC packaging they are probably manufactured by Schrader, the OEM equipment supplier. The batteries in these sensors have a life expectancy of 8 to 10 years so one thing to take into consideration when buying sensors is how long they have been in stock between date of manufacture and date of install. Some people found that the new sensors they installed only lasted a few years before failing since they were old stock. The date of manufacture is molded into the plastic housing in 2 numbered circles with a pointer one indicting the year and the other the month of manufacture.

My 2007 C6 had the Schrader #20076 sensors installed from the factory. The previous owner replaced the tires when the car was 8 years old and on the advice of the tire store decided not to replace the sensors since they were still working. I acquired the car the following year and started to get the XX tire pressure errors and the occasional over pressure warning as the batteries started to fail in their 9th year.

I have a Nexus pass that I frequently used to get stuff from my US mailing address so I ordered mine from a specialty high volume US supplier TPMS.com and the OEM Schrader sensors that I bought cost $43 US each with free shipping. I was pleased to find the manufacture code on the supplied sensor indicated that they were only 10 months from date of manufacture.

I did my own re & re of the wheels and took them to a tire store that had the specialty tire equipment to handle run flat tires with minimum risk of marking or scratching the wheels. The tire store charged me $50 for changing the 4 sensors and I did my own TPMS re-learn procedure at home using the reset tool that I purchased for about $20 from Amazon.

I inquired how much the tire store wanted to supply OEM Schrader sensors and they quoted me $75 each but am satisfied having sourced them myself since the tire shop would have had to source them from their supplier and I felt that I had a better chance of getting "newer" ones from my supplier. The sensors are now in their 5th year of service and the relearn procedure went flawlessly and have not had any issues since they were installed.

Last edited:
PS
In case anyone is considering the option that I took here is the link to my source in the USA. As stated above the sensors that they provided were less than 10 months from date of manufacture. The #20076 sensors are also price reduced (surprisingly) from the $43 each that I paid in 2017 and are now only $34.99, Shipping quote from the US via USPS is $51
These are the OEM sensors used in the C6 for the model years from 2005 to 2008 and these sensors come with the retaining nuts and seals. With some brands you have to purchase the mounting kit separately.

Last edited:
Icecap thanks for the link and the detailed reply to my query. Exactly the feedback I'm looking for. I have access to quality aftermarket sensors from VDO and Schrader and they are much cheaper than OEM but if people here report that the value isn't there then I will bite the bullet and buy AC Delco from GM. Having to re/re tires to change sensors prematurely would negate any cost savings if the aftermarket sensors don't perform well.

Reactions: Icecap
Planning on replacing my tires and I want new TPMS sensors too. What is the consensus here GM or aftermarket? OEM are twice the price, which is fine if they are twice the value?
Give Rock Auto a call and buy the Schrader product. I put them in my C5 (need the magnet to sync) C6 requires a digital set-up which all tire stores will have.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.