Aug 18, 2017
Saskatoon sk
VetteCoins
Car
Hiya folks
Yesterday my TPMS said that my front left tire was about double it's actual psi and now today it tells me the tire is flat. That's right 0 PSI.
I have checked it both times and it's right where it's supposed to be.
Is this one sensor in need of replacement? From what I've read it looks like a bad sensor gives a "XX PSI" so I wonder if mine is still functioning properly.
The car is an 05 w 108k. Is the battery going dead maybe?

I will mention that I hit a pot hole with that tire about 3 days earlier...

Thanks crew!

Hiya folks
Yesterday my TPMS said that my front left tire was about double it's actual psi and now today it tells me the tire is flat. That's right 0 PSI.
Is this one sensor in need of replacement? From what I've read it looks like a bad sensor gives a "XX PSI" so I wonder if mine is still functioning properly.

Thanks crew!

Went through this recently with a different GM product. It took a couple "relearns" at the dealer to correct it.
Possibly your sensor is damaged but I try a PITA manual relearn first before hitting the dealer$ (Should be instructions in your manual)
Some good tire shops may be able to solve it but that's a hit and miss with no guarantee.

JMHO. :Biggrin:

relearn can be done without any special tools. In your manual, the procedure is there. Make sure you start with the correct pressure on 4 wheels. Try a relearn and see what if it work. The use of a scan tool or other device might be necessary if it stll doesn't work properly. These sensors have a internal battery, they will get dead after 5 to 7 years in average.

Good luck.

Stephane

Reactions: ddgermann
In my manual it says that it requires a special tool and gives no further instruction. Looks like I might be able to use a magnet if the internet is correct. If it's a battery I wonder if I should do all 4 at once? $$$ :Ack2::Banghead:

Ahh the magnet trick is at your discretion. Stephane's post is true the battery in the TPS could very well be done. The special tool is the scan tool. Any tire shop will have one. Maybe go back to where you had the tires mounted as they will likely do it for free. It literally takes seconds with the scan tool.
If you need new TPS they are around $20 each... plus the tire work. Recommend to change them all if one is needed.

Derek

Most shop or tire shop have a tpms tool. In many models of sensors, you can read the battery level, I have never tried on my own car (2012). I checked on Shopkey for the procedure and you are right, they only give a procedure wihth a tpms tool, on many cars, you can enter relearn mode and deflate the tire until you can ear the horn, then after doing the 4 tires and receiving the message in the cluster that the relearn is done, you would reset the pressure and drive the car for a few minutes, you have to make sure you have a compressor in case it doesnt work. If they are oem from 2005 they had a good life and as Derek said I would also suggest to replace all 4 to avoid paying 4X for the relearn procedure. Still, before you replace, ask the shop to take the reading to check if they can get a battery readind.

Good luck

Stephane

Hiya folks

Thanks crew!
No problem with this issue; however, I often have to add air to one tire from time to time. I don't drive a lot though. Also, where does the fact that a tire is low display? The only time I know is when I get my mthly report from GM. My C3 showed a schematic indicating which tire was low. I guess I should read the owner's manuals eh? Getting lazy in my old age and not really a techie.

No problem with this issue; however, I often have to add air to one tire from time to time. I don't drive a lot though. Also, where does the fact that a tire is low display? The only time I know is when I get my mthly report from GM. My C3 showed a schematic indicating which tire was low. I guess I should read the owner's manuals eh? Getting lazy in my old age and not really a techie.

If you get a low tire the speedo screen will let you know. Ya check out the manual there is lots of cool things hiding inside that screen. :Biggrin:

D

Users who are viewing this thread