Detailer
Regular
Casual User
Jul 7, 2016
Mississauga
VetteCoins
Car
17 Grand Sport 3LT
Just wanted to share some pictures and my experience with my 2017 Grand Sport at our local track here in Ontario.

This car continues to impress me. I've always loved driving and pushing my cars to the limit (or as far as my ability will let me). Even with the Mustang I thoroughly enjoyed going to track days.
Personally, I've never been a fan of the drag strip; I found that just as things start to get fun, they come to an abrupt end. I found a lot more pleasure in lapping, racing against the clock and racing against yourself.

My Mustang was a low, loud, mean machine on the track. The lack of the IRS really kept me on my toes when it came to cornering the car at 170km on turn one at Cayuga, Toronto Motorsports Park. Its an entry level track, low-mid technical that stretches approximately 3km. Much like most, I learned to take it slow around the track on my first few track days. The best I could do on a street tire (Pilot Super Sports) and stock brakes was 1:30 and up....whether I went fast or slow, I loved every moment of it. Didn't care much for racing on the streets, light to light, highway pulls in traffic, etc. I just didn't want to suffer the consequences of getting booked or importantly, hurting someone in the process.

OpEefLS.jpg

When I took my Grand Sport to the track for the first time I took it easy. The car felt much more responsive. I went from what felt like a boat (Mustang) in handling to one of the best handling cars available to the public. The stopping power was far greater than my 4-piston Brembo equipped Mustang, stopping earlier allowed me to exit the corners at a higher rate of speed though it still didn't compare to the hard biting, car flipping, hard-stopping Z07 Ceramic Brake kits equipped at the Ron Fellows track. No regrets here though, the Z07 is far too much coin to maintain and keep up to us track enthusiasts.

I performed better and was averaging the same numbers 1:28/1:30. Improvement was improvement. I found myself struggling with traction control continually kicking in and limiting throttle quite a bit. Putting the Vette in Sport 1 (Driving mode track > Press down twice > Move over thrice to Sport 1). I felt like I was driving a different car now, it just kept pulling; I was able to corner a lot faster now without throttle being limited.

I was the first to arrive at the track and the last one to leave, two tanks of gas were consumed. Was there for the whole day and loved every minute of it. The car just kept going which is more than I could say about one of the Z06s at Ron Fellows after 2 laps. AC didn't shut off, no "Reduced Engine Power" messages popping up on the dash. I even managed to get away with 40 minute lapping sessions before I felt a bit of play on the brakes.

I best time I managed to run was a 1:23; Significant improvement but can still get better with practice. 1:18-1:20 would be the end game for me and then move on to a more technical/faster track (Mosport AKA Canadian Tire Motorsports Track)

Although I miss the volume of my Mustang I could never go back or even look back it after driving my 17' Grand Sport. There is just such a connection that feels above and beyond just tires between road and car. Responsive and nimble is the best way to describe this car.

Now its time to lighten the wallet by getting some new tires and some Carbotech pads. The lapping event had a photographer onsite so I got her to hook me up with a couple of shots:

eAK8mfC.jpg

vyUxBFo.jpg

CDWgb1Z.jpg

1QGirGq.jpg

Great write up. The pics show you are really working the car through the corners. Love the air showing under your R tires edge on the 2nd one. It's clear the car is sticking really well even with the PSS tires. Get those SC2s on and your times will be even better. Better pump up those side bolsters on your seat. haha
I would love to try this one day too. But not quite there yet. Agree that pushing the Corvette or any car to this level is not safe or at all cool on the streets.
Well done and thanks for sharing!
Derek

Thanks Elton.That was a great summary and comparison. And a 7 second bump from the Mustang.....so far.... Thanks for posting the report and glad you are enjoying your Corvette.

Nice write up Toxix.

I have to agree with you the difference between the Mustang 5.0 GT and the Corvette are night and day. Long story short, I've been loaned a 2016 GT and have put 6000km on it in the last 6 weeks. I drove it to Florida and back. Man am I glad to be back and driving my Corvette.

Have you been using your PDR and loading into the Cosworth toolbox to analyze your laps? If you have, would love to see a few of your faster laps.

Elton! I applaud you :Hurray:
I am glad you share this experience and the photos are 10,000 words.
Many of us mature to a point of knowing how to have fun with our Corvettes and you have just posted
great reason for anyone thinking of getting crazy on the streets and express ways ... that there are
better places for it and being with others doing the same. This should not happen on the streets.
It looks like a absolute blast ... and the benefits ... OMG.
Every Major City should support a facility like this. Alberta Municipalities are so weak on this
and cannot reap the benefits that extend beyond one getting around a track.
Remember ... cruise control on the way home whenever possible (per Spring Mountain).
Spence

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.