Jun 21, 2019
VetteCoins
couple of questions for you guys i bought a new 12.7:1 borgasen steering box and was surprised that the supplied bolts are only grade 5 hex head bolts, looking at my old frame they are carriage bolts.
talked to a hardware supplier in town and they don't make a carriage bolt that is a grade 8 till 1/2 inch. as far as i can tell all of the the other steering/suspension hardware is grade 8. am i better of changing this to a hex head grade 8 or just use a grade 5 carriage?
i'am using an assembly manual that i bought from a supplier in the states but i cant seem to find the torque spec of the two 1/2 inch bolts that attach the knuckle to the hub assembly, they should be in either section 3 or 9 of the manual, but i cant seem to find it, does anyone know the spec.

thanks for all the help, will post more pics of the frame once i am a little further along,
Thanks George

Attachments

• hub assembley.JPG
    hub assembley.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 15
my replying should not be taken as having any merit

having worked for over a decade in a commercial hardware type importer I would never use anything under a grade 8 even if I had to special order it and wait
does not matter for strenth but they are made way better, thread wise and consistency

just my opinion seeing many many failures on all kinds of equipment

even if failure will not occur I would stick with grade 8

no not an engineer 👨‍💻 nor a 🧰 mechanic

just a old lawyer looking for work

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread