Aug 13, 2010
Port McNeill B.C
VetteCoins
Car
1980 , Red ,T.top
Pulled the diff apart to put in a lower gear set and what do you know.... one of the main bearing caps on the diff was broken in half... Had a bitt of a shudder after the last race day..but it wasn't bad... looks like I am going to have to go to a cast iron diff and toss the aluminum one. You know what they say.... if you want to play you have to pay.

Going to see if getting a set of steel bearing caps made with a cnc machine is worth it cost wise. At least I can use the new gear set and rebuild kit I have.... rather spend 400$ than 3000$. Machine shop is going to get back to me with a price.

Pulled the diff apart to put in a lower gear set and what do you know.... one of the main bearing caps on the diff was broken in half... Had a bitt of a shudder after the last race day..but it wasn't bad... looks like I am going to have to go to a cast iron diff and toss the aluminum one. You know what they say.... if you want to play you have to pay.
You don't have to go iron depending on your HP. I have aluminum and 550HP. Rear is strong with 3.73 gears.

Nah... never liked OMC...:) just an Alpha1 and 4.3 liter merc in a very poorly built Larson 17 foot. They didn't use much fiberglass on anything.. I could push a pen through the transom an inch and a half to the hull anywhere around the drive. Surprised it didn't sink:)

IMAG1519[1].jpg
Well my baby is back together. Had some time after I finished the boat. The machine shop didn't listen to me and built the caps as one piece then cut them into two. This left me with a lot of shimming to do to get the right crush on the carrier bearings. Felt ok and got the pattern I wanted on the gear set. All filled with royal Purple, just need to re set the six link and break in the gear set now.

Just an update.. got to drive it for most of the summer but I started noticing a small amount of diff oil around the housing. Turns out the caps I had machined are a few thou taller than the old ones after the shimming I had to do. the cover sits against the caps so it is actually warping the cover slightly and causing a small leak around the gasket. Guess I will have to pull it out again.. oh well on the bright side it pulls like rocket ship so I am happy with the gearing.. and besides that.. its a labor of love:)

Reactions: nascar03
Great to hear the new setup is working!!! (Outside of just needing a little tweaking). Sounds like it was a very beneficial mod. What sort of reductions in ET's have you seen?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.