Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
Tony Stewart is one of those rare wheel men who can win in any type of race car. He has been a winner driving in Indy Car, Sprint Cars, NASCAR, IMSA Road Racing, USAC. He has been very successful as a team owner as well. He is the owner of the historic dirt speedway, Eldora, in Ohio and runs the SXR star studded driver series.

At the moment Stewart is most unhappy with NASCAR and has been very vocal about that organization and its management, repeatedly calling them out. The Stewart/Hass NASCAR team may not be around much longer as it currently exists, Tony's issue is the lack of consistency that penalties are handed out and enforced along with the poor design of the "Car of Tomorrow" which seems to be chewing up drivers on a regular basis.

Stewart owns a NHRA Top Fuel Dragster driven by his wife, Leah Pruett, and a Fuel Funny Car driven by Matt Hagan. Both drivers are currently in the NHRA 22 Championship run.

So harken back to the days of Mario Andretti, Mark Donohue, A.J. Foyt and a number of others who excelled at winning with any type of race car. Stewart recently took the plunge into NHRA Top Alcohol Dragsters with training at Canadian Frank Hawley's drag racing school in Florida and a number of test runs in TAD and TFD over the past year or so. At his first major NHRA event, Las Vegas (October 2022), this weekend he put the McPhilips Racing owned TAD into the number 2 qualifying spot with a run of 5.219 at 276.52 miles per hour. Solid performance in a very competitive field with Kim Parker setting fast time of 5.198 @ 272.34 to sixteenth qualifier Johnny Athen with a 5.379 @ 270.00.

So perhaps Stewart's involvement with NHRA will come at a loss to NASCAR. Stewart seems to be very pleased with both the competition and management style NHRA affords. Time will tell.

10_24_stewart_3.jpg

unnamed-9.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
Sadly relating the fact that good things are being lost on many fronts. Including the circles I once enjoyed for sitting a discussing passions such as what relates to the person in this topic.
My count in my “Sunday Group” is now barely the number of fingers on one hand including the one who often becomes the middle finger in a few conversations 😂.
One finds, understands, and can share in the character exemplified many times by a couple of Nascar Drivers whom I really enjoyed watching and learning more about in their career.
Nascar is a sport that is now soooo much different from the time I invested so much effort into it. I can say the same for the NHL. I am fortunate that I recorded a fair bit of the past in both sports … so that I can revisit it in my spare time today.
Ok … enuf … as I realize that I can count the number of people interested on here in a similar way. I know of 3 active on CCF who I can sit down with for Nascar chat at any time …🙂👍🏻

I will watch patiently and optimistically for what Tony will next get himself into. I wish I could say the same for what “the Intimidater” may have ventured into during his nascar-driving retirement 😇

NASCAR. February 18, 2001. So long ago it seems but to me with the death of Dale Earnhardt either NASCAR lost its focus or I did. Rarely did I miss a race in the old days but I have not watched a race in probably 10 years now. Very few of the drivers are known to me now. Focus? Probably me.

My Arizona friend was in a senior manager at Kelloggs when they sponsored a NASCAR ride. The last race I actually attended with him at Michigan Speedway I fell sound asleep and that was not fuelled by beer!! Funny how times change. We have been to the NHRA races at Phoenix a few times and really enjoyed it. There is also a You Tube site, GForce Racing that covers the local tracks in southern Ontario, it has rekindled by interest in short track racing on both dirt and pavement.

Thanks for your input SN3.

I will share one thing and maybe seed interest that I really like the Roval Race that Nascar has brought in. It is legacy of the 24hour Daytona in my opinion … except in one sitting.
I also enjoy more road race that they brought in that has hills and scenery that I can just dream me in my Corvette with.
Cant say much for drivers now. Good example is hiw “successful” 7-time JJ has become in open wheel. It’s not just a gimme as Tony has somewhat exemplified with his mix of racing success. Just says a lot to me.
I enjoy the X racing Tony helped create. Moreso for the interviews that the format. Format needs to change for the arm-chair viewer … jMO

As with corvette, i am in it from its past and because of its past and its not always for what it becomes which sadly registers lower on my giveashit-meter. Sorry … not meaning to derail but just relate to the “things change” point - which includes constantly correcting the words mispelled/misinterpreted using my phone auto-gizmo thing today. 🤪

Edit 😂 … I really do like the Michelin AS4 series tires they brought in for C8 though 😂👍🏻 now on my “parts shelf” for my C7 in the spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: nascar03
Go Tony!

NASCAR not the same…. NO…
Does it have new stuff. YES.. Stage fighting is fun to watch.
Like the new gen car.. NO. Mostly I miss the wheel nut ballet.
Are the young drivers doing well.. YES.

I have to admit I recorded every race this year but often got a few behind in watching so some got erased. That would never happen a few years ago.
But may also be because we had such great Corvette driving weather this year.

With the departure of Kurt Busch it is a milestone of some proportion.
Kurt was the last remaining driver that ever turned a lap with Dale Sr…!
Quite a milestone in NASCAR’s history.

Go Tony.

take care racer boys.

graham
0D9C80A0-0B07-4972-A6AF-90E8B1CF9AE0.jpeg

@nascar03 you learn something new every day. I was not aware of the historical Kurt Busch racing connection to Dale Sr.

That said the "Brothers" for me were one of the biggest NASCAR turn offs. In a sport of heroes and villains they fell clearly on the side of evil. ☹️

Did Harvick never race against the 3?

Reactions: 1 BAD 9T9
Tony Stewart is one of those rare wheel men who can win in any type of race car. He has been a winner driving in Indy Car, Sprint Cars, NASCAR, IMSA Road Racing, USAC. He has been very successful as a team owner as well. He is the owner of the historic dirt speedway, Eldora, in Ohio and runs the SXR star studded driver series.

At the moment Stewart is most unhappy with NASCAR and has been very vocal about that organization and its management, repeatedly calling them out. The Stewart/Hass NASCAR team may not be around much longer as it currently exists, Tony's issue is the lack of consistency that penalties are handed out and enforced along with the poor design of the "Car of Tomorrow" which seems to be chewing up drivers on a regular basis.

Stewart owns a NHRA Top Fuel Dragster driven by his wife, Leah Pruett, and a Fuel Funny Car driven by Matt Hagan. Both drivers are currently in the NHRA 22 Championship run.

So harken back to the days of Mario Andretti, Mark Donohue, A.J. Foyt and a number of others who excelled at winning with any type of race car. Stewart recently took the plunge into NHRA Top Alcohol Dragsters with training at Canadian Frank Hawley's drag racing school in Florida and a number of test runs in TAD and TFD over the past year or so. At his first major NHRA event, Las Vegas (October 2022), this weekend he put the McPhilips Racing owned TAD into the number 2 qualifying spot with a run of 5.219 at 276.52 miles per hour. Solid performance in a very competitive field with Kim Parker setting fast time of 5.198 @ 272.34 to sixteenth qualifier Johnny Athen with a 5.379 @ 270.00.

So perhaps Stewart's involvement with NHRA will come at a loss to NASCAR. Stewart seems to be very pleased with both the competition and management style NHRA affords. Time will tell.

View attachment 102159

View attachment 102160

View attachment 102161
I’ll be watching. I see Mile Salinas young daughter yesterday go a few rounds with some impressive numbers. Seems it just takes some nepotism, strong desire, skill and a bankroll to get in the hunt.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Did Harvick never race against the 3?
I had to look for it …
Still looking at Busch Series and nothing yet.

Here’s the google clip that made me look further
CD29EB4A-D3C6-47F2-8B9B-9F54B67196DD.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
How about …
Did Tony Stewart ever drive a Nascar 3 Car?
All I got is … indirectly …
Michigan race driving for Dale Jr. and the 3 Doors Down was scripted with Sr’s 3.
Close enuf for me 🤪 Tony’s dunnit 😂

1E5B19D4-F8A3-47D2-A645-6CDCB8AC8018.jpeg

Got Tony’s & Jr’s scribe on my diecast 😁

I used to watch NASCAR faithfully, rarely missed a race, until Jeff Gordon retired in 2015. Since then, I doubt that I have gotten through half a dozen races all together. But since they changed the format to the segment races, I have not watched at all.

Great for Tony.

A fairy tale ending? Stewart goes to the final fourth round in Top Alcohol Dragster at Las Vega, October30, 2022....

Stewart is up against Madison Payne in the final.

Payne got a hole shot on Stewart they then ran side by side through the lights where the margin of victory for Payne was 0.0002 or about a 1 inch advantage. 1 inch!!!

Payne ran 5.262 @ 275.90 to Stewarts 5.258 at 271.57.

It was Payne's first National Event win and Stewart's first National Event and he went four rounds to the final. Well done to both racers.

Madison Payne

Payne_AJ0I3499_Joe-McHugh-photo.jpg

4_24_payne_1.jpg

Never have I ever seen … until today 😂
Ross Chastain needed 4 positions to get enough points to carry on in the Nascar Championship. This is both hilarious & wreckless to see after the fact. It will make highlife reels … Full Throttle on the last two corners of the last lap today …
Tony was not this crazy … 🤪

Edit to add …

Last edited:
I saw CHASTAIN do that today.
What an awesome move!
I cheered so much when I saw this happen.

Carl Edwards tried the same against Tony Stewart for the championship many years ago.
The difference was he went into the turn on a big track at full throttle But down low..
So when he passed under Stewart he immediately went up into the wall, instead of along the wall.
great move… Glad to see CHASTAIN get it done.
I can’t wait for the next small track races.. you gotta know the 8th-10th place guys are going to do this on the last lap.
NASCAR is probably working on something thru the night to stop this from happening again.
maybe they will put ‘turtles’ up there…who knows! LOL

I like the stage racing as it makes the drivers fight for extra points in the early parts of the races.
In the old days there were yellows often enough that there were many restarts to make the races exciting. In these days of better motors, tires, cars, etc there are seldom restarts. The stage racing works for me.

Congrats to both Madeline and Tony for their respective finishes in TAD Drag racing.

take care boys.

Graham

I was never a fan of stewart.
When he ran over and killed Kevin Ward Jr, the non fan in me turned to hate.
My hope is, he never wins anything, and goes broke trying.

How many race fans consider Ross Chastain their "new" favorite driver after yesterday? That move was brilliant!!

And they just keep going faster on the 1000 feet they race on. From Pomona, the final race of the NHRA calendar.

"Force went 3.641-seconds at 338.94 mph in her 11,000-horsepower Monster Energy dragster, eclipsing her own record for the fastest run in class history and giving her a perfect start to kick off a huge weekend. If it holds, it would give Force her 10th No. 1 spot this season and 42nd in her career. More importantly, it gives Force, who entered the weekend with a slim seven-point advantage over Justin Ashley, momentum as she looks to claim her second career world title."

Hoping for a solid weekend for my buddy Clay Millican in Top Fuel. Been a tough year for that team.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.