For the life of me I cant figure out what went wrong when I uploaded a picture in my original post above and cant edit anything back......... I am curious to see how you deal with your front plate. All my front plates are cut as I don't like the look of the bulky plate holders. Over the past 20-25 yrs I have been pulled over 4-5 times but never been issued a ticket. This plate is currently held on by black zap straps which I shall replace soon. how do you deal with your front plate

Image 2.jpg

15630-0a7f0c11eab1a50450470919b76a5ce7.jpg

I would avoid the use of tape and just run the risk myself....

Oddly enough, In all the years that I have been doing this never had a problem with automotive 2 way tape. The plate on my T-Bird has been on there since 2002. When I need to remove a plate I use a heat gun on low setting and slowly with a plastic putty knife work my way through it. Then some Goop Off and in 10 mins its done. The prob with the vette is mounting with tape to the grille would be risky as the grille does not offer a solid service. I think I am going to get some white zap straps and swap out the black ones.... should blend in better. Nice Sunny day here but only 5 degrees, tempted to take car out for a spin.,...

We are spared the hideous front plate in SK too. Oddly enough I've never had a problem in BC. All my cars run SK plates, so if I ever do get pulled over I'm just going to play dumb ;) I would avoid the use of tape and just run the risk myself....

I'm pretty sure BC or any other province couldn't make a missing front plate ticket for out of province registered vehicles stick anyway. For one, since 1991, unless it's a vanity plate, we are only issued one licence plate in Alberta ...

On my last C6 and current Mustang I've found alternative ways to mount the front plate just in case Ontario ever smartens up and gets rid of the front plate, but for the C7 I am planning on using the factory provided 'aero' front plate mount. I think it looks 2nd best to not having a plate at all. 9 out of 10 times that people get creative with their plates it ends up drawing attention to it, which is the opposite of the goal, IMO.

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
I'm pretty sure BC or any other province couldn't make a missing front plate ticket for out of province registered vehicles stick anyway. For one, since 1991, unless it's a vanity plate, we are only issued one licence plate in Alberta ...

That's what I thought too. So far they leave me alone ;) As far as the tape goes, I'm sure it works fine. I was just saying skip the front plate because I think they ruin the look of the car, and when you spend that kind of $$$ on a car, ruining it with the plate just ain't right. You could always try the, "What??? It was there yesterday" routine. I bet the cop would get a chuckle and send you on your way :) :)

When I picked up my car, the first thing I did was remove the ugly shoe box front plate holder. I changed the grill to a z06 grill and used black zip ties for the plate. Never had any issues. I also bent the plate a little so it wraps around the grill.

Oddly enough, In all the years that I have been doing this never had a problem with automotive 2 way tape. The plate on my T-Bird has been on there since 2002. When I need to remove a plate I use a heat gun on low setting and slowly with a plastic putty knife work my way through it. Then some Goop Off and in 10 mins its done. The prob with the vette is mounting with tape to the grille would be risky as the grille does not offer a solid service. I think I am going to get some white zap straps and swap out the black ones.... should blend in better. Nice Sunny day here but only 5 degrees, tempted to take car out for a spin.,...

There are some nice low profile front plate holders for your car. They snap right in and actually look pretty good.

Quick search finds one. I’ll look for you tomorrow if your interested.

Derek

There are some nice low profile front plate holders for your car. They snap right in and actually look pretty good.

Quick search finds one. I’ll look for you tomorrow if your interested.

Derek

Thanks for the offer Derek. I think the plate holder you're talking about is a very good alternative to the stock GM one. But its still designed for a full plate, Not sure If it could be cut to allow for mounting a cut narrower plate. A thing british plate would not look as bad as our plates mounted tot the front

Thanks for the offer Derek. I think the plate holder you're talking about is a very good alternative to the stock GM one. But its still designed for a full plate, Not sure If it could be cut to allow for mounting a cut narrower plate. A thing british plate would not look as bad as our plates mounted tot the front

Maybe Paul you are going to have to find a Rubbermaid product and cut out a custom piece that fits your plate.
Don’t laugh I did this on some of my sleds to handlebar mount the EGT and race packs. Light and flexible. It looked great too. People would ask where I got the flexibile mount and have to look real close before they would believe it was a chop out part of a garbage can lid. :thumbs:

Maybe Paul you are going to have to find a Rubbermaid product and cut out a custom piece that fits your plate.
Don’t laugh I did this on some of my sleds to handlebar mount the EGT and race packs. Light and flexible. It looked great too. People would ask where I got the flexibile mount and have to look real close before they would believe it was a chop out part of a garbage can lid. :thumbs:

Guys these are special cars. I know the MSRP on mine was $127,500...are we really doing stuff like this? I'm all about "rigging" where necessary, but......really???

ddgermann.... interesting thought. I could cut a template that is 1/8" wider and longer than my current cut front plate and use that as my backing as opposed to the stick on foam strips that I have been using. The 1/8" visible border around the plate may even make the plate look more finished. I think I have just the right material in my garage. A black, dense, but flexible 1/8" thick rubber mat that I keep under my cars. Gonna give it a try tmrw. I just laid out and cut the sheet metal to form the 'shelf' unit that goes behind the infotainment 'trap door'. It will look identical to the units you can buy online. Tomorrow I will make my bends, give it a coat of primer and then spray it with black plasti-dip. I know they are cheap to buy, but I like to make things. This is a very easy project that will look good when finished and also be useful.

Reactions: ddgermann
Guys these are special cars. I know the MSRP on mine was $127,500...are we really doing stuff like this? I'm all about "rigging" where necessary, but......really???

flyboy999 - Yes, you're right. These are expensive toys, but, for a moment, if you have one, take the big n ugly front license plate holder and temporarily stick it and the equally big front license plate on the front nose of your car...... Damn ugly I say :) .. lucky for you you dont need one. That is why on my sports cars, I alway look for an alternative to mounting the plate based on the car. Cutting the plate makes a huge difference to its size and as such its intrusiveness to the nose of the car... couple that with no big ol ass front plate holder and the front, to me, looks much better and 'streamlined'. The way my plate looks now is certainly not the finished product, I just took it off my Jag XK and stuck it on the car so I can take it round the block if I want to. I know its not perfect, and its not for everyone, but damn.... I just cant mount the front plate holder on that nose. Even the low profile holders, while a bit less in your face, still take up a lot of real estate up front. Thanks for your thoughts, and hey, I'm open to suggestions....

Reactions: Rruuff Day

Congratulations on your MSRP Flyboy. Seems pricey for a GS but we all know the stickers are high on the specially optioned cars.

I don’t understand your point. It’s ok to buy aftermarket add ons but not ok to create something just as good or perhaps even better that is custom to your car yourself?
He has a trimmed plate and cannot find an aftermarket holder for it. Why not make something that fits the plate and looks totally custom. Some guys have real skills.
I’m very curious to see what Paul comes up with. :Biggrin:

I edited the post as I had you 2 guys mixed up... :Banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
When I was shopping around I tried a car near Ottawa. The guy had a lower front mounted plate that could be swung down and tucked under the bumper. This was so that it would not get ripped off in the car wash. Would hate to see a slashed car after a car wash. At any rate, when he got pulled over he would just swing it back out saying he forgot to bring it back out front after the wash. Worked for him. I did see them once on a web site but as I am from QC I don't have to worry about that front plate either.

Reactions: ddgermann
tape foam adhered to it so that the back of the plate cant scratch the surface of the grille. How is your front plate fastened?
I noticed a mark this year when I had to remove plates to cancel insurance: I will put piece of black tape on back of LP bracket this spring - no problem front.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.