Featured Tires

Discussion in 'C7 Z06' started by kingofthehill, Oct 7, 2017.

1. kingofthehill

kingofthehill New Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    Z06 2017
    Run flats not good at 11 c no traction.

2. ddgermann

ddgermann Well-Known Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2017 Z06
    Once warmed up my PSSs hooked up good today at 10... on dry roads. :Biggrin:

D

3. MikeysZ06

MikeysZ06 High RPM Poster

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2007 lemans blue Z06
    11 cel and no traction?? Something not right here.

4. Riley P

Riley P
    Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2000 Z51
    I have regular c7 wheel/tires. My car doesn’t have enough power to worry about temp. :(
    I guess when the temperatures outside get to less than 15C, you’ll just have to warm them up with a nice 30 second burnout before heading anywhere. :D

ccltj, theboss and ddgermann like this.
  5. theboss

theboss Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 zr1 centennial
    Map
    There are many factors that might look like lost of traction at lower temperatures. Colder air give your car more power, most of the available tires, in the corvette sizes, are high performance and are more like a summer tire then a 4 seasons tire so they will need to warm up a bit and the asphalt isn't hot enough to warm them up.

Rruuff Day and ddgermann like this.
  6. DavidWG

DavidWG Member

Car:
    2017 Grand Sport
    No question the OEM tires lose traction once the ambient temperature drops below about 15C and get progressively worse the colder it gets. That is a known function of all high performance summer tires. Everything you see written about that class of tires cautions owners about their cold temperature performance even the manual talks about it. I drive one with an M7 transmission and you can give yourself a good jolt of adrenalin if you do a quick aggressive shift from 1st to 2nd on those cool mornings when you first start out. I find the tires reach a comfortable operating temperature after about 10 minutes of spritely driving but I would not recommend any heroics on highway ramps or sharp turns if the ambient temperature is below 10C even if the tires have had a warm up drive. Even at Spring Mountain in 90F weather they get you to do a warm up lap or two if the car has not been running the track for the past hour or so. One could always put on all season performance tires to broaden the temperature range a bit.

7. kingofthehill

kingofthehill New Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    Z06 2017
    Your right on the money sometimes just touching the gas .Well i guess with 650 pony cold morning those ponys want to go.

Riley P likes this.
  8. Hiroki Soki

Hiroki Soki Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2016 C7 Z06 Z07 3LZ
    Just the way it is with super high performance tires when cold. Hey even worse with ultra high performance track/street tires. I've got Proxes R888's on my 996tt and even with awd when the tires are cold car can get pretty frisky when i put my foot down.

9. Riley P

Riley P
    Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car:
    2000 Z51
    Am I the only one that finds it ironic that high performance tires don't last very long because the rubber compound is so soft, yet when the temperatures get low, they become as hard as hockey pucks? Outside of treads, shouldn't they be softer than normal tires all the time making them great cold weather tires? :rofl:

Hiroki Soki likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted