Jul 8, 2012
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
1997 C5
In terms of looks, I have no preference for 17/18 or 18/19 stagger, so my tie breaker in terms of wheel diameter is which one performs better, all things being equal?

I understand that there is an optimal wheel diameter for every car and if you go bigger, it makes the car slower because of the increased torque needed to get the wheels turning and the car off the line.

Will the 17/18 or the 18/19 stagger be better for performance?

If you got wheels that weighed the same, my personal opinion is that if you go with a lower profile tire to keep the same diameter, the 18/19 stagger would be better for handling performance and the car would feel better. The steering will feel tighter and it will corner better.

Straight line performance is better with the 17/18 combo as these wheels have less moment of inertia (even if they weight the same as the larger wheels) as the rim is closer to the center of rotation and the rubber is lighter than the wheel.

So it depends what you want. I myself want to move up to an 18/19 combo or go with a similar 19/19 set up like Manny.

If you got wheels that weighed the same, my personal opinion is that if you go with a lower profile tire to keep the same diameter, the 18/19 stagger would be better for handling performance and the car would feel better. The steering will feel tighter and it will corner better.

Straight line performance is better with the 17/18 combo as these wheels have less moment of inertia (even if they weight the same as the larger wheels) as the rim is closer to the center of rotation and the rubber is lighter than the wheel.

So it depends what you want. I myself want to move up to an 18/19 combo or go with a similar 19/19 set up like Manny.

What he said :agree: