D Dunn

Casual User
2 You're 10
Apr 15, 2012
Mississauga
VetteCoins
Car
2007 coupe
I have a 2002 in need of new tires. I have talked with a few tire shops & I keep getting different suggestions for my needs
I'm looking for tires that provide a good touring ride. I don't track the car so performance tires are not a priority.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my C5Z, I don't track my either and I like these tires a lot. I run 305/30/19 on 11" wheels on the rear and 265/30/19 on 9.5" wheels on the front.

They perform well wet or dry, fairly quiet and smooth. Someone said Michelin has discontinued these tires but I am not sure if that is correct or not. Vast improvement on the Goodyear F1 tires that came with the car.

Good luck with your search.

Welcome to the forum.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my C5Z, I don't track my either and I like these tires a lot. I run 305/30/19 on 11" wheels on the rear and 265/30/19 on 9.5" wheels on the front.

They perform well wet or dry, fairly quiet and smooth. Someone said Michelin has discontinued these tires but I am not sure if that is correct or not. Vast improvement on the Goodyear F1 tires that came with the car.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, tire rack sells those tires & that is one of the tires that was recommended
Appreciate the feed back!

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Hi D Dunn.. what size tires are you looking for?
What size rims do you have?
The big issue in the C5 Corvette tire world today is no one makes wide 17" performance tires!!!
18" is even limited in availability.
A few friends on mine with C5 Z06s are looking for.tires...
I run Z06 wheels on my 2003 convertible. 265/40ZR17 front 295/35ZR18 rears. Michelin Pilot Sport.
The new Michelin PS 4 series does NOT include a wide 17" tire...
Actually there are barely any 18s!
I contacted Michelin to see if they have any back inventory.....they said they have 6 of my rear size left but none of the fronts. But they do not know if any dealers might have some old stock.
One dealer here had some old stock of the correct Z06 sizes.,wanted $2.5K and they were over 10 years old!

A buddy here bought Yokohamas in near the right size for his 2004Z06... but the fronts & rears had different tread patterns..?!? Probably different performance ratings..
If you are willing to get new rims then there are way more options..
Don't even bother with 18" wheels..go to 19s at least.

I don't need tires today but willing to buy if I find some that fit..preferably Michelin.
I spent a bit to have my Z06 wheels surfaced and powder coated.. and really don't want to get new rims.

IMG_0789.JPG

Good luck

Graham

Hi D Dunn.. what size tires are you looking for?
What size rims do you have?
The big issue in the C5 Corvette tire world today is no one makes wide 17" performance tires!!!
18" is even limited in availability.
A few friends on mine with C5 Z06s are looking for.tires...
I run Z06 wheels on my 2003 convertible. 265/40ZR17 front 295/35ZR18 rears. Michelin Pilot Sport.
The new Michelin PS 4 series does NOT include a wide 17" tire...
Actually there are barely any 18s!
I contacted Michelin to see if they have any back inventory.....they said they have 6 of my rear size left but none of the fronts. But they do not know if any dealers might have some old stock.
One dealer here had some old stock of the correct Z06 sizes.,wanted $2.5K and they were over 10 years old!

A buddy here bought Yokohamas in near the right size for his 2004Z06... but the fronts & rears had different tread patterns..?!? Probably different performance ratings..
If you are willing to get new rims then there are way more options..
Don't even bother with 18" wheels..go to 19s at least.

I don't need tires today but willing to buy if I find some that fit..preferably Michelin.
I spent a bit to have my Z06 wheels surfaced and powder coated.. and really don't want to get new rims.

View attachment 10845

Good luck

Graham

I still have the original tires on the car! (34,000 klm's)
They are P275/40ZR18 rear P245/45ZR17 fronts. I've been leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Super Sport however I'm finding after checking with a couple of tire shops that they are discontinued. I found a dealer that can get a set but I'm concerned that if something happens to a tire I won't be able to get a replacement!
A tire that has been recommended is the Continental DWS, haven't spoken to anyone who has put them on their corvette but I know a number of people that have them on their daily driver & love them!
I'm not interested in changing the rims, rather leave the stock
Thanks for your feedback

Reactions: nascar03
I changed from Kumho Ecsta-SPT to Bridgestone - Potenza RE760 Sport. Great price at Costco even if you have to take in the wheels by themselves as Corvettes are too low for them to work on (Plus I don't allow anyone to lift my car that is not familiar with them). Anyway, the tires were really good. Not nearly as harsh over expansion joints in the road, a bit quieter, and had a lot of grip. They also had really deep tread so I imagine they would be good if you got caught in the rain.
It should be noted that the Kumho's were worn out when I changed them over which would make them seem worse than they are. Anyway, I really liked the Bridgestones for the two summers I had them. The only reason I am not using them anymore is because I couldn't pass up a deal on C7 wheels and tires.

Last edited:
I am going to need new tires next year for sure, but after hearing about the possible issues in finding a performance 17 & 18 combo, I am strongly leaning towards a rim and tire package, prefer to go with 19's on all 4.

Dub, I think you will find a much broader selection of tires for the 19"s even if it means having to buy new rims. That of course will set you off in a whole other set of decisions. I will dig up the offsets and backspacing for my CCW wheels to give you some idea of what is needed. My question to John, who at the time owned CCW, was what do I need with wheel specifications to perhaps in the future run a big brake package, have a lip on the rims and the tires would not stick out past the body work.

Reactions: Dub

Welcome to the forum.

The Super Sports have been replaced with the Pilot Sport 4S. Supposedly an even better tire then the PSS and another step in the evolution. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S: First Tire Test

I have a 2002 in need of new tires. I have talked with a few tire shops & I keep getting different suggestions for my needs
I'm looking for tires that provide a good touring ride. I don't track the car so performance tires are not a priority.
I had a 2003 vert with 20K org. km on it and had to replace the rear tires; and I did with Bridgestone, the OEM tires that came on the car: they were fine; and, like you, I just cruised; and actually, they get a very good rating. I am a Michelin man though!!

Forgot to mention that I had Michelin Pilot Sports on my 1996 and loved them with OEM wheels.

I bought Continentals for one C6 and really liked the ride and performance. They were very similar to the Michelin Pilot Sport, but less money

Reactions: Bixter44
I just installed Continental Extreme Contact DWS in the stock sizes on my 2003 in July. They are Y rated which makes them high performance tires in my book. Just got back from a 2300 mile trip. Had a little bit of everything. High speed, twisty roads, wet roads. They worked just fine. Of course I had to get a Dynaplug Repair kit since they are not run flats.

The Dyna Plug kit that Brian offers should be standard equipment in every Corvette. The Z06 came with a small air compressor which in combination with the plugs takes some of the worry out of not having a spare tire. Those items along with a CAA card of course.

Reactions: Bixter44
Sure Elf, make us south of you feel bad already!!:Biggrin:

Where have you been hiding? We missed you.:Confused5:
Remember your snow and cold hits me two days later .Most people in their 70's have either retired or died so I'm ready to take the winter months off .My wife had health issues which is behind us so I feel comfortable hitting the road .Took a week and went to Quebec city and a separate trip to Niagara Falls both we're Corvette trips .Wanted to spend as much time in Canada before ya folks build a wall :D.
Tires are important to me and the All Season compound is conducive to cold temps .Although I'm not a fan of driving the Vett in a snow storm ya never know what can happen during a 1600 mile road trip .

Reactions: ddgermann
I'm riding on Mickey Thompson Sport Comps. Leans more towards performance, but the ride is quiet, they wear well, and excellent stick for when more "spirited" driving is called for. Not run flats, so I carry a goop kit and compressor.

Another tire that I've heard great reviews on is the Firestone Fire Hawk Indy 500. Spoke to a C4 owner last year who was riding on them at a meet and greet, and he loves them. Price / performance ratio seems very good.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I have owned 4 corvettes and always used Michelin tires: ditto my SUV and my wife's - best place to buy is Costco - 30% cheaper than anywhere else here on the Northshore where I live,

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.