Nov 12, 2009
New Brunswick
VetteCoins
Car
2006 C6
I purchased new OEM Schrader tire sensors roughly 5 years ago when I changed out to new wheels and sensors, since my original sensors, although still working, were 10 years old. Since we do many long road trips, I didn't want one to go bad on me on such a trip, so I was proactive with the change out. I had the tires and new sensors installed during the winter months, and used the relearn tool to marry them to each wheel when I installed the wheels myself.
Fast forward to this Spring. I took my car out of the corner of the garage to get it ready for the season, and got the dreaded tire monitor, and max speed of..... alarm.
I had raised the pressure to 40 psi last Fall and had decreased them all to running pressure prior to moving the car. I used my TPMS relearn tool in hopes of resetting the faulty sensor. No luck, it would not reset or recognize the sensor.
I was thinking where I was going to get a new sensor to replace the bad one at a reasonable price.
On a hunch that that sensor may have gotten into a sleep mode, I lowered the pressure in that tire to 15 psi, then up to 40 psi, then back down to 30.5 psi. I put the car in sensor relearn mode, used the relearn tool, and lo and behold, the sensors got reset, including the supposed bad one.
Hopefully, this may help others that find a similar situation after a winter hibernation.
BTW, the relearn tool is the cheap one that can be purchased on Amazon for less than $20.00. I have used it many times since I purchased it years ago.
View attachment 80108

Last edited:
I purchased new OEM Schrader tire sensors roughly 5 years ago when I changed out to new wheels and sensors, since my original sensors, although still working, were 10 years old. Since we do many long road trips, I didn't want one to go bad on me on such a trip, so I was proactive with the change out. I had the tires and new sensors installed during the winter months, and used the relearn tool to marry them to each wheel when I installed the wheels myself.
Fast forward to this Spring. I took my car out of the corner of the garage to get it ready for the season, and got the dreaded tire monitor, and max speed of..... alarm.
I had raised the pressure to 40 psi last Fall and had decreased them all to running pressure prior to moving the car. I used my TPMS relearn tool in hopes of resetting the faulty sensor. No luck, it would not reset or recognize the sensor.
I was thinking where I was going to get a new sensor to replace the bad one at a reasonable price.
On a hunch that that sensor may have gotten into a sleep mode, I lowered the pressure in that tire to 15 psi, then up to 40 psi, then back down to 30.5 psi. I put the car in sensor relearn mode, used the relearn tool, and lo and behold, the sensors got reset, including the supposed bad one.
Hopefully, this may help others that find a similar situation after a winter hibernation.
BTW, the relearn tool is the cheap one that can be purchased on Amazon for less than $20.00. I have used it many times since I purchased it years ago.
View attachment 80108
The valve stem sensors have a battery in them and it may be dead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.