Along with almost no benefit to rotating tires side to side as wear should typically be the same side to side, is the argument that tires develop a rotational memory. Rotating side to side changes the rotational direction on the tires. There is some chat about steel belted radials not retaining a rotational memory but I am old school and like I mentioned, wear should be the same on each set. (Assuming your camber and caster is set properly and your not getting inside edge wear on the fronts.

Thanks guys. I shall pass on the rotation. Come to think of it, I don’t think I have ever rotated the tires on my truck.
I do recommend rotating when all 4 wheels are the exact same. But I do agree with Rruuff when it comes to specialty sizes unless you are rotating rather frequently there is little point unless you are 100% sure they are wearing perfectly. Plus throw in most high performance tires are directional, that pretty much makes it impossible to do so.

I rotate my truck tires front to back, same side only, as the rear tires on a truck wear faster than the fronts due to the lighter weight or the rear and the tendency for the rear to bounce somewhat on the road bumps which scuffs the tread. Ideally every 10,000km or so but more often than not I procrastinate a bit. You will get an overall longer life from a full set of tires on a vehicle with the same size all around if they are rotated.

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
The 2019 C7 manual calls for tire rotation (p. 279) after 12,000 km or if unusual tread wear is detected, and side to side only for different tire sizes. For a C8, my dealer said NOT to rotate tires at all, when I asked him about doing it side to side which is the only possibility given the different front/back tire sizes. Oddly enough, after picking up the C8 I noticed the 2020 C8 manual (p. 259) says to rotate tires (same size only) after 12,000 km, with much the same wording as the 2019 C7 manual and I've never asked my dealer to explain that discrepancy. For my 4-door sedan "winter vehicle" I was told to only rotate tires front to back, as done by Rruuff Day for his truck. I do that each time I change the winter grips for all-season and those are also all speed rated tires. So perhaps this is open for debate/opinion, given people's comments about NOT rotating due to the directional nature of high speed rated tires?? But if that's a concern, why don't the Corvette manuals say different?

Reactions: ccltj
I was planning on going in for an oil change this week, and coincidentally, On Star sent me a reminder to do this, along with a tire rotation. I didn’t think you could rotate tires on a Vette, given the fronts and backs are different sizes. Do they do them side to side?
Was that a dealerships special offer? Now I’m confused!!!😳

The 2019 C7 manual calls for tire rotation (p. 279) after 12,000 km or if unusual tread wear is detected, and side to side only for different tire sizes. For a C8, my dealer said NOT to rotate tires at all, when I asked him about doing it side to side which is the only possibility given the different front/back tire sizes. Oddly enough, after picking up the C8 I noticed the 2020 C8 manual (p. 259) says to rotate tires (same size only) after 12,000 km, with much the same wording as the 2019 C7 manual and I've never asked my dealer to explain that discrepancy. For my 4-door sedan "winter vehicle" I was told to only rotate tires front to back, as done by Rruuff Day for his truck. I do that each time I change the winter grips for all-season and those are also all speed rated tires. So perhaps this is open for debate/opinion, given people's comments about NOT rotating due to the directional nature of high speed rated tires?? But if that's a concern, why don't the Corvette manuals say different?

I was referring to a Z06 with staggered fitment, which makes front to back impossible along with side to side because of directional tread. If you set on rotating tires, get all the same tire sizes and all-seasons and go for it.

I plan on doing a side to side next week for my Z06 with the scheduled oil change since im at 12.5k km now. Doesn't cost much and it will be a good opportunity to see what the wear looks like on all 4 tires, even, uneven etc.

I plan on doing a side to side next week for my Z06 with the scheduled oil change since im at 12.5k km now. Doesn't cost much and it will be a good opportunity to see what the wear looks like on all 4 tires, even, uneven etc.
Interesting. Personally I would not trust changing the rotational direction on a performance tire. Especially at any speed. Let us know how that works out for you.

Its in the owners manual to do it. Obviously you don't have to but I very much doubt my tires will explode or anything noteworthy by going by the maintenance schedule. The engineers aren't stupid.

Reactions: ccltj
Tires on the C7 GS and Z06 are NOT directional and I have rotated mine side to side every 12000 km since new. I did the fronts last fall before we headed south and on our last cruise I was getting a vibration in the steering. Need to take it out now that we're back and if it's still there I'll put the tires back where they were.

Its in the owners manual to do it. Obviously you don't have to but I very much doubt my tires will explode or anything noteworthy by going by the maintenance schedule. The engineers aren't stupid.
I was referring to if you have directional, if you do not, then its a moot point. Rotate!

Tires on the C7 GS and Z06 are NOT directional and I have rotated mine side to side every 12000 km since new. I did the fronts last fall before we headed south and on our last cruise I was getting a vibration in the steering. Need to take it out now that we're back and if it's still there I'll put the tires back where they were.
Agree. The tires themselves are not directional but after being on the car for 13,000 km my opinion is they develop a directional memory. Switching side to side reverses that direction.

Got the side to side done today, car feels fine, but I haven't pushed the car or anything since picking it up.

Tires are wearing well according to the tech so hopefully this keeps them going strong.

Agree. The tires themselves are not directional but after being on the car for 13,000 km my opinion is they develop a directional memory. Switching side to side reverses that direction.
I did move the front tires back to the original location and the vibration went away. I had also rotated the rears side to side 5000 km earlier and was experiencing a vibration. Moved the rears back to the original side and that vibration went away also. Guess this confirms Rruuff Day opinion that the tires DO develop a directional memory.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.