ve2yzb

Mar 12, 2011
Quecbec,Canada
VetteCoins
Car
1998 convertable C5
Hey guy's , funny the places I called around near by all have different saying as to what pressure to put in my tires...very confusing i say:confused:
I changed my tires and rims last season and kept the same original sizes except there are not runflats... The most common pressur that was brought up was 30psi... What pressure do you guys suggest is the best...thanks

My tire peeps strongly suggest 30 psi for best handling. I'm running slightly higher as 32 but I wouldn't go much beyond that for optimum handling and wet tractions, you won't get the right contact patch. (I'm told)

You really can't go wrong by following the tire sticker inside the driver's door.

btw -- mine is an '11 C6.....my brother's is an '06 C6 and also runs 30 psi.

C.

Hey guy's , funny the places I called around near by all have different saying as to what pressure to put in my tires...very confusing i say:confused:
I changed my tires and rims last season and kept the same original sizes except there are not runflats... The most common pressur that was brought up was 30psi... What pressure do you guys suggest is the best...thanks

whatever it says on the door

I run the max recomended on the tire. Better fuel economy, cause of the shape of the tire I still retain proper contact?

You should run what is recommended on the door. The max tire inflation is what the tire manufactures rate the tire. This is so vehicle manufactures know not to exceed this, plus this is a maximum pressure that technicians are to follow when setting the bead on the rim. When running 15 psi over the recommended limit, you are reducing the pressure area of the contact patch and in effect only running on the center of the tire. This will result in a reduction of grip and accelerated tire wear. What you save in gas, you are paying for in tire wear with needing new tires sooner. Plus if you need to avoid an accident and can't because of reduced grip, it won't seem worth it.

Good stuff! Just trying to watch out for a fellow brother! Let us know if you feel any difference in the car.

If he was running hard tires, he should feel much more traction on acceleration and braking right off the bat. Also less harsh ride.

Good move 79vette.
icon14.gif

C.