Hi
A couple years ago I replaced the "wagon wheels" on my '99 and installed a set of gently used C6 18"/19" wheels with new Michelin Super Sports. They bolt on with no issues. The difference is in the wheel offset. The fronts are fine but the rears will be about 1/2" inset from the stock C5. To correct this I used a 1/4" spacer (don't go wider if using a spacer due to bolt thread length). This improves the appearance somewhat but if you want to go wider then use an adapter, not a spacer. They have their own bolt on system with separate bolts to mount the wheels. This is a common method and looks really good. My adapters are 1" deep which is what I felt was the safe maximum and wouldn't effect the ride or system. I've been using them for 2 summers now and zero problems. Tire wear is perfect.

Here's a closer up pic.
IMG-1238a.jpg

Reactions: hemicat
They are but once they're done I'm not sure I'd go run flats again. Definitely a hard and slightly noisier ride compared to standard. I would stick with Michelins though as they are an awesome tire. Not to jinx myself but I haven't had a flat in 30 years so keeping a pump and repair kit in the trunk is something I'm willing to risk for next time.

I used 3mm (~ 1/8") spacers for my replica front wheels to provide more space for the brake calipers. It seems that some BMW models have the same hole pattern that is used on the C5. I think the rule of thumb is that you should have the width of the stud worth of thread left and have at least 10 complete turns on the lug nut.

Reactions: ron6468
The only reason the factory used run flats was so that they did not have to supply a spare/jack/wrench which took up much needed space and added weight. I run Michelins and don't carry a spare but I do have a small jack/factory pump and a tire repair/patch kit when travelling any significant distance.

They are but once they're done I'm not sure I'd go run flats again. Definitely a hard and slightly noisier ride compared to standard. I would stick with Michelins though as they are an awesome tire. Not to jinx myself but I haven't had a flat in 30 years so keeping a pump and repair kit in the trunk is something I'm willing to risk for next time.

The only reason the factory used run flats was so that they did not have to supply a spare/jack/wrench which took up much needed space and added weight. I run Michelins and don't carry a spare but I do have a small jack/factory pump and a tire repair/patch kit when travelling any significant distance.

I agree. I carry the same kit.

Think I mentioned that above. Mine were from Stingray Auto in Mississauga. They were 30mm wide. BTW the tire size I'm using is P245/40R 18" on the front and P285/35R 19" on the rear. You should know that increasing the wheel and tire size like this will result in approx 3-5 km/hr increase over what you see on the speedometer. At 60 you'll actually be doing 63 and 110 you'll be closer to 115. I know this because I have a Garmin GPS which measures the exact speed. For me it's no big deal.

I felt the original wheels did nothing (mine weren't magnesium style) for the car so made the change. The C5 and C6 are interchangeable bolt wise. You can resolve the adapter issue completely by going to an aftermarket set of wheels that appeals to you and simply order with the appropriate wheel offset which they will know by looking up the info. Then all 4 will fit exactly like the originals fit on the car without adapters, spacers, etc.

Yes, I was thinking about that Ron.
Here's one more thing to think about. If you haven't done anything come May next year, contact me again. I might be interested in selling the entire combination of C6 wheels/Michelin Super Sport Tires (13k kms use) with rear adapters. I'm considering a completely different aftermarket setup. Currently the Vette is snuggled under a blanket and keeping out of the weather for a few months. No idea of price but I'd be more certain in the spring.

I'm in the same boat, ended up getting a set of C6 Grand Sport wheels staggered 18x9.5 F and 19x12 R. Looks like I'll be stretching a 305 on the rear so it doesn't stick out so bad. Some guys have used spacers and some guys say they've had no issues. I guess I won't know until I bolt them on.

Attachments

• Grand -port wheels.jpg
    Grand -port wheels.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 12
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.