Martys 76

I'm New Here
Nov 19, 2016
ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
76 corvette
is a double roller timing chain really necessary to a standard timing chain 350 small block not high horse power
just changing out cam to something a little better summit 1103 cam shaft

Welcome to the forum Marty. Sorry. I don't have the answers for you but there are some very mechanically smart people and lots of C3 owners on here who will be glad to discuss this with you. Maybe re-post this in the "New Users" section. It will get noticed and answered a lot quicker there. Be warned.... we will want you to post pictures of your ride... :Cheers2:

Just stay away from the nylon tooth cam gears. The steel ones are not loud as some suggest. Back in the day, the nylon tooth gear on my Ram Air Firebird shucked its teeth at about 28K miles. Many years later I had a '69 GTO that I bought used. At around 90K miles the cam AND the gear were in bad shape.

Last edited:
the stock single chain will work fine, I mean it was good enough for the General from factory so will still be OK. But the double is a little stronger and as stated, with steel gears you should never have to touch it again as you are not running a high horse engine there. Hardest part will be changing the gear on the crank. Your existing timing cover will fit the double chain too. The double is not an expensive swap and is what I would do at this point.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
I decided to go with a double chain but for me I had a high horsepower application. However, even if I hadn't I probably would have done a double chain because they last longer and over time they will keep the cam in more strict alignment as a single would stretch more (stretch would probably be pretty negligible). I should point out that timing chains do eventually wear out and while you have it appart it would be a good time to do it, unless you plan on pulling the motor again in the future.

For me the timing chain is a safety part. It may never break or it could eventually fail. That would kill the engine. I would recommend you replace it regardless.

However, XFire82 is correct. If you didn't pull the whole motor replacing that crank gear could be a more of a hassle to you then it's worth and in that case stay with a single.

If you are suggesting not changing the crank sprocket, that is not good procedure installing a new chain on an old sprocket. Removing the lower sprocket is not that difficult.
I would install the Cloyes or equivalent "Truck set" double chain and sprockets. Overkill but thats just me.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.