RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
Gentlemen,

Well, I bought a tilt trailer earlier this spring for the option of being able to load the Z06 to take it to autocrosses etc. without raciong up so many miles and last night was the night when I finally decided I had to try it out to see if it would work. What could be better than a velocity yellow Z06 on a yellow tilting trailer now I ask you??!!

The angle is still too steep as the nose of that plastic spoiler digs in right away but with the help of some 2 x 12 and 2 x 8 I was able to construct some ramps to get the front of the car to lift enough to clear.

I had to be careful as the side clearance is also something I need to be thinking about and having a spotter is almost a requirement - thanks Jackie!

In the end it didn't go too badly and we took out time, inching forward and checking for clearance and it did go on.

I was a bit let down that I could not open the door to get out but as I had to go through the window when I had hauled it to Manny's about 40 or 50 pounds heavier it was acceptable. I could clear the fender but then the car would be sitting too far forward for my liking.

I have to make some 4 x 4 spacers to put under the wooden ramps for support and then I shoudl hopefully be good to go. With luck I can try this out Wednesday if I am able to go to my first autocross of the 2014 season!

But I was relieved that it was possible to load it without too much grief.

It is a mixed bag I suppose, I burn more fuel with the truck but it is less per liter. I don't get to drive the car to and from the event but I'll be putting on fewer km's. Maybe in the end I'll come to the conclusion of screw this and drive the car but it is always great to have the option. It even makes moving the car in the rain more appealing now.

Some pictures on YouTube:

1st attempt to load the Z06 on my tilt trailer - YouTube

Cheers,

Garry

try putting down a 2x10 to drive the front tires on. doing this allowed me to open my door on the ZR1 to get out. My fender flares were 9" high

These pictures were test run pictures... had to move the board farther forward.

1101_zps02059250.jpg

Good morning gentlemen,

An interesting suggestion to use some more 2 x 10's to give the car some lift. I will be looking at this shortly as I am about to cut and attach by 4 x4 lift reinforcements to my loading ramps.

I had not considered rolling the car forward, I mean there is room to have the car forward to clear the fenders, then to push it back and put it in gear and to pull the park break through the window before closing the window............

But there is clearance for the door to open about 4 or 5 inches right now so I am thinking that the next step will be to try 2009CGMZR1's idea first since if it gives enough lift for the door to clear then I'm in business.

By the way, 2009CGMZR1, how is your trailer for the loading part, are you able to get the front of the car/front tires going up the ramp without any additional blocking like I was required? If so you must have an ultra low trailer to get such a facorable angle of approach!

Onward ho!

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning gentlemen,

An interesting suggestion to use some more 2 x 10's to give the car some lift.

I also use cowboy boots to give myself some lift for country concerts.. haha

Good morning gentlemen,

An interesting suggestion to use some more 2 x 10's to give the car some lift. I will be looking at this shortly as I am about to cut and attach by 4 x4 lift reinforcements to my loading ramps.

I had not considered rolling the car forward, I mean there is room to have the car forward to clear the fenders, then to push it back and put it in gear and to pull the park break through the window before closing the window............

But there is clearance for the door to open about 4 or 5 inches right now so I am thinking that the next step will be to try 2009CGMZR1's idea first since if it gives enough lift for the door to clear then I'm in business.

By the way, 2009CGMZR1, how is your trailer for the loading part, are you able to get the front of the car/front tires going up the ramp without any additional blocking like I was required? If so you must have an ultra low trailer to get such a facorable angle of approach!

Onward ho!

Cheers,

Garry

I did take of the CF for driving events. I had no issues. I did use wood like you did on the ramps to lessen the angle.

I used a floor jack at the end of the trailer to keep it from tilting to different angles when driving the car on.

Some jack up the trailer at front to lessen the angle... I never had to.

Should be getting a deposit on my trailer today from a Vette guy in Calgary.. almost sold. :)

try the wood.. worked great for me... I am not that old and would hate to crawl through window.. and you would want window up and also put park brake on ( car out of gear )

Brian

car sitting on trailer and 2x10's

I only had to do the front tires to get the car to open.

I only cross the rear straps if I am going long distances........ this was just across town.

1171a_zpsabc37f9f.jpg

Deposit happened on my car trailer for sale 10 min ago! :)

Brian

Great news Brian! And a nicely colour coordinated unit as well! I don't have to jack up the back end, the trailer tilts very little when the car is driving on. It is one mother heavy trailer too which might help. I've been thinking about blocking up the front left tire only as it will give me lift but also another maybe 0.25 degree lift if the front right stays down.

I haven't tried out my braced wooden ramps yet so I need to do that tonight if I can. I want to start spraying the wheat today if it is calm which it looks to be.

What will you be replacing this trailer with??

Yes Riley, I have considered the July 5th meeting. It would be good to do a road trip and to meet up with a bunch of Corvette owners and especially to meet the western bunch of CCF members since I've been able to meet some of the Central Canadian crew. Sadly my son will be camping with his mom otherwise I would do it with him and how much fun that would be for us both! It does look do-able though, only another hour past Edmonton after all.

I'll see, hopefully, how the trip to the autocross, goes tomorrow to get a feel for what it would be like. Perhaps it will be really encouraging and will help to push me to get more mobile and to travel more to opportunities such as these. Not probably too many other get together's like this that will be within 6 hours of me after all.

Cheers,

Garry

Gentlemen,

It is getting to me more and more of a possibility. However, my track record for getting wexcited about doing something and following through on it is not that good. But I have been making efforts for transferring words into relavent action so I am hopeful at this point to make the trip!!

I have to keep telling myself that it would be a rare opportunity to meet so many of you that have made my Corvette experience so enjoyable and I have to remember the trip in Ontario to Mud Street to meet the club there and how I enjoyed that and the great memories it gave me so that should help to spur me on.

So many great people to meet and super cars to check out.

Plus maybe a chance to go and terrorize the local Chrysler and Ford owners!!!!!

Cheers,

Garry

Last edited:
Good afternoon Brian,

YES! Now I remember that you mentioned this previously about the jet ski.

So you sold the trailer, if you don't mind me asking what are the plans for the car????

Good hp/weight ratio there too...........

Sort of like a 900 hp Corvette now isn't it??!!

Cheers,

Garry

ZR1 should/will be for sale in the next year. I might drive it this year and put it for sale next spring. Still deciding when to sell it.

I think when people find out the Z06 will be probably $120,000-135,000 and sold out already that they might go back to wanting Z6 ZR1's

Now the C7 Z06 are all the rage but when people find out the prices.... and find out they can get a ZR1 for $40-50 k less, the demand might go back up for the C6 king of the hill.

Brian

Good afternoon Brian,

There is no doubt that a 650 hp car is going to be commanding a lot of attention. But I always tend to lean toward what the package performance is going to be and taking a ZR1 (or C6 Z06 for that matter) and having a whole lot of cash left over allows you to have a personalized vehicle and not just a run of the mill C7 Z06 (if one could ever use that term to describe a C7 Z06 anyway!!).

I'm happy that with my oh say 70K investment I can still trounce the replacement........

People have asked me if I'm going to get a C7 Z06 and I alays look at them and say "why would I want to get a car that is slower than the one I already have??!!".

Not that the C7 Z06 doesn't have what sounds like a great powerplant, but I'm still not head-over-heels in love with the looks - but it has been growing on me over the past bit I'll be honest.

Brian I'm glad to hear that you still have another 12 months of 4 wheeled fun to come!

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning Gentlemen,

So today is the day! I have to go to the farm and position an auger so dad can dry some wheat and then I have about 300 bu to pick up to finish the bag off and then I should be able to start getting ready. I'm currently charging camera batteries........

The weather looks to be great, low 20's and a bit of a breeze.

Some of the DCAC members went to Prince George over the weekend, Tri with his GTR and Chase with his Civic and the put up some video's, it looks like a nice little track and for me would be great as no chance to be confused by cones!!!!!

Dawson Creek Autocross Club (DC AUTOCROSS)

I hope that I won't experience any problems loading without my spotter but I'll just be getting out frequently to check things over as I creep forward.........

There has been a blue C6 Z06 at Fort St. John before so I hope it will show up again. What I'd really like to try are some side-by-side pulls on the runway to see just how much faster a Manny-modified car is over a stock one, assuming this blue one is stock............

Cheers,

Garry

Good morning Brian,

I'm not sure just yet. That would be a long time to be gone if I plan on also attending the July 5th Ponoka get together. While I do enjoy autocrossing as bad as I am at it it woul dbe a lot more fun to get together with the fellows for a pure Corvette-fest instead. Autocrosses I can attend locally, group Corvette hugs are a lot harder to achieve!

Just packing........going to wash the car.............then try to load it by myself - yikes! I'm sure I'll get more comfortable the more I do it but no doubt I'm a tad nervous.

Cheers,

Garry

Gentlemen,

And on it zipped! I got out to check it three times and all looked good, lots of clearance at the front under the nose and I had it centered well. So one cargo strap on each tire and I'm set! The door was still a pain and getting the window up and then closing the door was a nuisance but first things first. Hopefully I'll mark where I think the car should be and then to place a 2 x 12 on the left side for lift next time and it looks like Brian was right and the door might clear.

I'm not expecting any better results at the XC itself, my usual stalling, spinning, grinning and hopefully some good video clips to post for you later on.

Just a last few things to get ready...........

Cheers,

Garry

Gentlemen,

And on it zipped! I got out to check it three times and all looked good, lots of clearance at the front under the nose and I had it centered well. So one cargo strap on each tire and I'm set! The door was still a pain and getting the window up and then closing the door was a nuisance but first things first. Hopefully I'll mark where I think the car should be and then to place a 2 x 12 on the left side for lift next time and it looks like Brian was right and the door might clear.

I'm not expecting any better results at the XC itself, my usual stalling, spinning, grinning and hopefully some good video clips to post for you later on.

Just a last few things to get ready...........

Cheers,

Garry

HAVE FUN... want a co-driver???

lol

Good morning!

A co-driver would have been great fun Brian, I wish you could have joined us all.

Wow that is a long day, 2 1/2 hours there, 2 1/2 hours back, a bit of driving around town before, helping to get up and then the XC itself!

For a guy who is normally in bed by 9:30 3 plus hours later than normal is going to result in a cost!

A much more suited Z06 track, I think I was in 2nd place when I left so I hope no one pipped me after I was gone.

I used 3 cameras in four different locations so I hope some of it turns out to be viewable.

A great group of guys and Mike and Chase rally did an excellent job of hosting the event.

More details will follow once I've had some sleep!

But I'm back safe and sound.........

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread