Aug 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2022 Z51 Coupe
Province
ON
Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on going with an aftermarket exhaust vs Z51 package? I haven't had the opportunity to see/hear a C8 w/Z51 in person yet but from what I've been reading online is that the Z51 exhaust is a bit tame. I've seen a number of aftermarket exhaust installs & they seem to really give the C8 that aggressive sound... just look at this one with the FAB speed exhaust... that being said I know the Z51 package is more than just the exhaust & I'm not too eager to start putting aftermarket parts on a brand new vehicle, plus I likely won't ever be tracking it either.

For those who have the Z51 package, how do you find the exhaust?

The NPP option is a stand alone option which also comes standard with the Z51.
It is far from tame, but being a rear engine car it's hard to hear the exhaust in the cabin. Chevrolet pipes in some exhaust sound through the radio.
With NPP you get 2 options. Tour mode which has exhaust valves closed with exhaust going through the muffler and open where the exhaust bypasses the muffler. What likely makes aftermarket exhausts louder is the cats. You lose the valves with aftermarket exhausts

Reactions: Cruzin
Like you I have also read about the exhaust not being loud enough. I had the opportunity to hear a Z51 start up at a local dealership. I though it sounded great. Mind you that was just at start up.

Reactions: JR410
The performance exhaust on the C8 sounds great from outside the car and with the windows open. Inside the car with the windows up you can barely hear it.
That’s very true. I drove a Ferrari 458 (one of those road tours out of Hamilton) and from inside it was almost whisper quiet. It was when I was in another car behind it that I realized how loud it actually was. The mid engine vs front engine definitely makes a huge difference on what you hear in the cabin.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on going with an aftermarket exhaust vs Z51 package? I haven't had the opportunity to see/hear a C8 w/Z51 in person yet but from what I've been reading online is that the Z51 exhaust is a bit tame. I've seen a number of aftermarket exhaust installs & they seem to really give the C8 that aggressive sound... just look at this one with the FAB speed exhaust... that being said I know the Z51 package is more than just the exhaust & I'm not too eager to start putting aftermarket parts on a brand new vehicle, plus I likely won't ever be tracking it either.

For those who have the Z51 package, how do you find the exhaust?
I had the same thoughts, I went for the NPP exhaust as opposed to aftermarket mostly due to concerns about excessive heat by non-factory systems. Some may be great, but some maybe not. If your NPP option is still too quiet, you could add sport cats.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
I don't have the Z51 package but I did get the performance exhaust option. It's plenty loud/aggressive sounding for me so I'm happy with it and don't need an after-market exhaust system. As well, I prefer to keep everything "stock" as much as possible, which of course gives you the benefit of the manufacturer warranty, should something go really wrong. But as always, each to his/her own: if you want something REALLY LOUD then pay the extra dough and go with after-market and hopefully you have tolerant neighbours. :)

Yea, I'm still on the waiting list so I haven't even heard one in person yet. I've decided to go with the Z51 package & I'm sure that will be loud enough, and if it isn't I'll look at getting sports cats installed. On that note I was speaking to someone from Humberview Performance, they mentioned they weren't 100% sure if that would void the warranty, so definitely something to keep in mind... don't want to risk that for the sake of decibels.

Yea, I'm still on the waiting list so I haven't even heard one in person yet. I've decided to go with the Z51 package & I'm sure that will be loud enough, and if it isn't I'll look at getting sports cats installed. On that note I was speaking to someone from Humberview Performance, they mentioned they weren't 100% sure if that would void the warranty, so definitely something to keep in mind... don't want to risk that for the sake of decibels.
Yup, I agree. If it's sound you want, it's the cats you need, not the cat back. The Z51 (NPP) exhaust is straight out past the cats, when open, which in my case is always. But with the engine and glass between you and the exhaust it is always quieter than a front engined car. It's more than loud enough from the outside. It will wake the neighbours when started. lol

Reactions: JR410
Yup, I agree. If it's sound you want, it's the cats you need, not the cat back. The Z51 (NPP) exhaust is straight out past the cats, when open, which in my case is always. But with the engine and glass between you and the exhaust it is always quieter than a front engined car. It's more than loud enough from the outside. It will wake the neighbours when started. lol
I think it was Texas Speed that said the stock cats flow fairly well.

Have you heard the car with swapped cats? I was thinking of doing headers first, paired with the stock cats. But now you have me thinking if I just start with the cats.

Overall, car is loud enough from outside, especially when you get on it. Inside...yea, it can be a little quiet. I would be happy with a touch more lower frequency.

I think it was Texas Speed that said the stock cats flow fairly well.

Have you heard the car with swapped cats? I was thinking of doing headers first, paired with the stock cats. But now you have me thinking if I just start with the cats.

Overall, car is loud enough from outside, especially when you get on it. Inside...yea, it can be a little quiet. I would be happy with a touch more lower frequency.
Talk to @Sparro. He just did headers and cats. He should have fired it up by now. He wanted sound, not necessarily performance

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.