Ranman

2 You're 10
Aug 21, 2013
ancaster
VetteCoins
Car
Seeing as my baby is stored for the winter I decided to experiment with plasti dip. I have seen a couple of pics of cars done in flat black and it kind of grew on me so I took the leap of faith this weekend.
My paint is almost 30 years old and has lots of swirl marks. I have priced repainting but not willing to part with that kind of money right now. For those who do not know about the product I used it is completely removable. it peels right off. I tested it before I used it. I figured I would look at it over the winter and see if I keep it when spring arrives.
The total cost was $180 for the product and i did it with my spray gun. It is a great alternative to spending thousands in a paint job.
Who knows, I may try it in lime green or fluorescent orange :D
Give me some feedback. Just remember, it is not permanent and it does not effect my original paint. I can just peel it right off

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 35
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 34
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 36
The only prep work is to wash/degrease the car. I used dawn dish soap as I find it is the best for removing wax etc. I have minor stone chips here and there but as the paint dries somewhat thicker it covers most of them up. They are still there but hardly noticeable.

Colin, the place in the link above is 10 minutes from me. Pick a Saturday in early spring as the snow starts to melt and we will do it. You can help me tape off the car and we can do it. Wayne is only around the corner so he can bring his camera and we can video the whole job and post it back up here.
Maybe we should do a poll on the forum and see what colour everyone votes on and that is the one we will do that day.
Are you guys in?

The only prep work is to wash/degrease the car. I used dawn dish soap as I find it is the best for removing wax etc. I have minor stone chips here and there but as the paint dries somewhat thicker it covers most of them up. They are still there but hardly noticeable.

Colin, the place in the link above is 10 minutes from me. Pick a Saturday in early spring as the snow starts to melt and we will do it. You can help me tape off the car and we can do it. Wayne is only around the corner so he can bring his camera and we can video the whole job and post it back up here.
Maybe we should do a poll on the forum and see what colour everyone votes on and that is the one we will do that day.
Are you guys in?

Very nice of you to offer your expertise, R. -- On further consideration I'll stick with the Polo Green for now since it is in rather good shape.

That Plastidip does present an interesting opportunity tho -- I'm impressed.

I look forward to seeing yours in person probably next spring.

Cheers,
C.

Correct. This is just the plain black spray.

Hey Coin, what I was trying to say is if you buy the green paint, I will paint my car with it not yours:)
I like the polo green just the way it is.

We have an old '87 S-10 short box truck that just won't die. I have a '94 LT1 and OD transmission. Fix up the two little rust spots, Plasti Dip, engine swap along with mags and tires that I already have and it would be a neat cruise night truck. A good paint job costs thousands and just isn't going to happen. HMMMM!! The rusty gears are turning.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.